Development Questions

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
Is it acceptable to cut an employee before going into Series A?

Hi fellow startupians, I've recently gone into a venture with a friend. He is a business/marketing student, and I am a Comp Sci/Math/Econ/A million other things student. Before we moved down to...

asked Jul 30 '13 at 07:24
Blank
Jdero
128 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Finding a technical co-founder as a young entrepreneur?

I am looking for a technical co-founder to join myself and the other founder in the development of some software for a start-up with with a great market. The problem is I'm 16. We both have some...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 00:09
Blank
Jason
41 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.85K Views
How to raise funding without a prototype

I would greatly appreciate some guidance or ideas of more experienced entrepreneurs. I am working on a complex startup that involves the development of a robot with complex software. In order to...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 06:01
Blank
Pmolina7
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
A programmer friend is building my software, how to reimburse?

A programmer friend is building a very simple subscription as a service tool for me. He's calling it an "easy" job (2-3 months build time), and has agreed to work for a % of cash flow (profit)...

asked Jul 19 '13 at 16:57
Blank
User27061
6 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.6K Views
Starting A Programming Store

I have a store within a computer sales center and because of some problems it has been empty until now. The problems are now solved, and I want to open it and use it as a place to do programming. I...

asked Jul 21 '13 at 20:36
Blank
Arash Ata Afarin
99 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.76K Views
How to structure a development partnership with an unfunded startup?

My co-founder and I have a fledgling software company. We recently started talking to a non-technical entrepreneur who is looking for a development partner. He has potential backers, but needs to...

asked Jun 16 '13 at 05:27
Blank
Dan Ellis
71 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Do ads ruin user experience?

I'm developing some school communication/information software for mobile and browser and I have a question about ads. I was going to have a resources section where people can post useful links and...

asked Jul 5 '13 at 18:11
Blank
Jason
41 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.26K Views
Incubator for pay?

Say, I have: An idea for a tech company / product, that I want to get realized. Sufficient time, right now. Seed capital, which I am willing also to spend on guidance. Citizenship in a country...

asked May 18 '13 at 02:13
Blank
Feklee
148 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
Equity in a business driven by software?

I am completely new to negotiating equity, and I don't know where I stand with regards to pushing back on potential offers of equity based on a new project. If anybody could give me their view on...

asked Mar 26 '13 at 01:00
Blank
Dee Mac
123 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
How to educate customers about importance of code quality?

I work as a remote developer for a small product development company. I always try to write code that is easily understandable, easy to manage, reuse and low on defects. I am quite a good tester as...

asked Mar 29 '13 at 07:11
Blank
Aseem Gautam
331 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
Finding Investors/partners to fulfill the following needs

You've probably heard this before, but I came up with the idea for great product and I developed it. I measured the demand for it personally, by demonstrating it to the target audience and got a...

asked Mar 16 '13 at 02:03
Blank
Mi Gusta
120 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
How do I ask help and search people for contribution for my git/open source project

I am basically involved in wordpress site development but a self starter for rails. I want to transform my idea into a rail app and I am contributing it on git(at a very initial level this time),...

asked Feb 24 '13 at 21:24
Blank
Swapnesh
113 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.55K Views
Do I need to register as LLC even if I plan to make my iOS apps free?

I have personally made some apps and I want to put them on the Apple app store as free apps. I will probably also make them open source on github or something. I had been reluctant to do so because...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 19:53
Blank
Yeesterbunny
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.75K Views
Feasibility of a narrow focused development firm

I am curious if there is demand for a development firm which specialized only on front-end development. Most companies that I know of offer wide range of services — front, back, mobile, native...

asked Jan 15 '13 at 16:01
Blank
Mvbl Fst
144 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
How do I develop my idea for a web app while lacking resources and development drive?

I have a web application idea with great potential that I trying to turn into a start up business. I currently work with building application in a .NET environment but for this personal project...

asked Jan 13 '13 at 17:03
Blank
Geddon
20 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.36K Views
Outsourcing development with friends and family money

My cofounders and I have bootstrapped so far to get a hardcoded (doesn't connect with a server) iOS prototype for $10k from a local outsourced developer. We have no traction yet and are in need of...

asked Dec 16 '12 at 14:26
Blank
V B
24 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.25K Views
What are the pros and cons of a web-only app?

I've developed a web-based RSS reader and it seems the next logical step would be to create apps for the various mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.). But I have no idea where to begin and I would...

asked Dec 4 '12 at 07:50
Blank
Richard
357 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
How do you ensure product quality is met when outsourcing development?

What terms can be written into an agreement to make sure that a product developed with an outside company meets quality standards such as uptime, speed, etc?

asked Dec 5 '12 at 00:50
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
As an app developer, should I have an NDA?

I am in the process of launching an LLC for app development. I already have a potential customer who has inquired about an app which I am currently creating mock-up designs for. Before I present...

asked Nov 30 '12 at 18:03
Blank
Matt Clark
135 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
4.93K Views
Do I need a CMS or should I build from scratch?

I am working on my first web application, and can't figure out whether I should use a CMS like Joomla or Wordpress, or have the site built from scratch. For some background, the site will be sort...

asked Nov 14 '12 at 05:53
Blank
Jdh
182 points