Communication Questions

13 Votes
7 Answers
2.95K Views
In a one man startup, how do you communicate with clients and others? "We" or "Me"?

So currently, I am the founder of a startup company. It's only me unfortunately, and not sure if I should take on more partners or not at the moment. My concern is that because I am the sole...

asked Feb 2 '11 at 17:51
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.57K Views
Communication pitfalls and tips for remote teams?

Now that my startup is starting to generate revenue, I'm going to hire a designer, a rails coder, and several SEO people to work remotely. I'll likely start on ODesk and if they are good, move the...

asked Mar 15 '14 at 12:23
Blank
Melissa Gonzales
35 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.12K Views
How do you recover from a disastrous introduction?

Through some networking, I met someone, John, who said he would introduce me to a friend of his for a prospective sale. I knew the person he was talking about and I really wanted to meet her and...

asked Nov 21 '13 at 01:48
Blank
Ray023
198 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
How should I reply to important people for my company if they write their emails unprofessionally?

I have received and email from a potentially important person for my company. I don't mean the daily spam. I mean verified bigger company CEO. And this email is written in a style you would expect...

asked Oct 15 '13 at 19:59
Blank
111 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
How to write an intrigued invitation mail to event organizers, to list their events?

I have created a simple-clever search engine for events, however I would like to make the website known to event organizers, so instead of me adding the events found in other websites, they will...

asked Aug 3 '13 at 07:12
Blank
Nikolai
125 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Do ads ruin user experience?

I'm developing some school communication/information software for mobile and browser and I have a question about ads. I was going to have a resources section where people can post useful links and...

asked Jul 5 '13 at 18:11
Blank
Jason
41 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
My one-man startup has been invited in a startup showcase event of a prestigious university. How to go about it?

It seems, my one-man startup has been doing well, and has been noticed by a prestigious university. They recently sent me a letter inviting me to their annual Technology- Management Fest, where...

asked Aug 2 '12 at 03:13
Blank
Vaivhav
32 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
Investor Relations for Startups

Our company appears to be close to getting our first investment -- term sheet but no cash delivered -- and we know we need to get in the habit of keeping this investor and any future ones up to...

asked Apr 11 '12 at 03:22
Blank
Dmoore
46 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.9K Views
How to approach a corporate client

I have someone's name, address and number. However, I have never met or spoke with him, and he has no idea who I am. I know he has a need for a specific kind of software, which I can provide. How...

asked Nov 18 '11 at 23:48
Blank
Amar
26 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.87K Views
One man company, good idea to be honest or not?

So currently I am the sole author of my software product. Should I reveal that this is a one man army? Such as creating facebook pages, linked-in which shows that this is a one personell...

asked Nov 22 '11 at 15:06
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.03K Views
Recommend a good cloud based telephone system

I'm involved in a pre-startup situation, with a small company about to start real operations. Initially they will have one dedicated office with dedicated telephone lines, one office admin person,...

asked Oct 25 '11 at 04:08
Blank
Jim In Texas
228 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Marketing my niche web application

I'm a web developer by trade but I work for a graphic design agency. I've written a subscription service (I own the code) that allows design studios to track jobs, allocate them to staff and track...

asked Aug 6 '11 at 18:52
Blank
Jim Blizz
1 point

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.16K Views
How to get through to decision makers?

There are a few software titles (all games) that have been officially retired and are no longer supported. I have designed a business model for recovering these end of lifed titles, but am having...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 09:06
Blank
Patrickgamer
234 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.68K Views
Speaking corporate lingo

Are there resources out there on the etiquette and 'lingo' used when talking/contact companies? Working with small companies it's all quite easy-going, but I don't want to give away in 5s to to a...

asked Jun 30 '11 at 21:10
Blank
John
173 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.18K Views
Is it possible to startup a web hosting / development company that only communicates via email

Is it possible to start up a web hosting / development company that only communicates via email?

asked May 16 '11 at 02:36
Blank
Cssss
6 points

14 Votes
5 Answers
3.35K Views
When to drop a co-founder?

There are some excellent posts on how to select a co-founder and what qualities you should look for. I firmly believe in 'try it out', and have been for about 5 months. In that time I've also come...

asked Mar 29 '11 at 10:51
Blank
Rsg
313 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
Looking for a solution/methodology to optimize communication & organization between sales and tech-support/development teams

Before I get into the question, I’d like to mention that this is my first venture where I am a decision maker, it's been great but as you will see below, due to some inexperience, I am stumped as...

asked Mar 11 '11 at 13:50
Blank
Danny
113 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
best way to reach your past customers and leads (from previous consulting business) about my new software?

Here's my current situation: I used to own a consulting business. I have many contacts but not sure how I would go about telling them about my new startup beta software. It's been at least...

asked Feb 5 '11 at 01:56
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.71K Views
Good questions to ask when approached for a freelance web-development gig?

If someone approaches you expressing interest in having you perform web-development work, what questions should be asked? Assume you know only the bare-minimum : he/she wants you to develop a...

asked Jan 7 '11 at 14:16
Blank
Closure Cowboy
128 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.37K Views
What Is The Best Way to Manage An International Startup?

My startup has employees who are in different places at different times. What is the best way to manage and to centralise files, emails, communications, ...? Would the web be the best place to start?

asked Oct 6 '10 at 11:51
Blank
Jfw
150 points