Development Questions

4 Votes
1 Answers
5.38K Views
Finding a client for software development outsourcing project

I have led an established IT-company in Ukraine for several years now. The company's business is in the different fields, including an outsourced software development. Currently I realize that I am...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 02:43
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
What language to program a web based slot machine

I'm wanting to create a web site that will have a slot machine game on it. I want to have a facebook app as well as apps for mobile (iphone/android). I want to have prizes and a progressive...

asked Sep 27 '11 at 05:34
Blank
Benny
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.94K Views
What is the smoothest solution you've seen for small payments?

We have a site where visitors can pay 99 cents for a service. It would be cool if the user experience were similar to iTunes: the user clicks one button, doesn't have to type in credit card info,...

asked Sep 18 '11 at 02:18
Blank
Blueyellow
6 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.18K Views
Finding out another start-up has the same idea

I came up with a great idea for a webapp, I've been creating design docs, project specs etc. Everything was going well until I decided to google my idea, which to my surprise came up with one...

asked Sep 20 '11 at 16:41
Blank
User744319
94 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
how to write functionality specs

So I am about to hire a backend developer, and I've basically made a bunch of notes as to functionality, and broken them out page by page. Is there an 'industry standard' way of writing specs, like...

asked Sep 10 '11 at 09:34
Blank
Jdh
182 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
2.73K Views
Outsourcing Website development overseas

I am in the process of outsourcing a MVP website to vendors in the asian region. Although I have no questions about the quality of programming of some of the vendors, I am concerned with the web...

asked Aug 28 '11 at 01:26
Blank
User3462
345 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.42K Views
Is there any platform on which I can find a developer/designer for my project?

Is there any platform where we can find developer/designer or where designer and developers collaborate and contribute. There are lot of website where this things happens but they are much like a...

asked Aug 30 '11 at 20:08
Blank
Parry
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.71K Views
What are some examples of strategies used to prevent "feature-itis" in the early stages of a product?

Are their examples I can give to those that work with me to let them know, more features is not what we want at this point.

asked Aug 18 '11 at 12:20
Blank
Bertrood
314 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
Can a telecommuting job help one grow his skills compared to job at office?

How would you compare a telecommuting (overseas) job at a startup (when everything at the startup be it the work, the environment, the people, etc looks exciting enough) with another job at the...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 03:19
Blank
Atul Goyal
496 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
Creating functional document for a website

I have an idea that I'd like to implement and on doing some research I realized that another website does exactly the same thing. I would like to clone the site and since I am pressed for time, I...

asked Aug 22 '11 at 13:23
Blank
User2306
232 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
How do you handle lead developers who seem independently entrepreneurial?

In a startup, how do you deal with the main programmers, who are good in communication/designing and seem independently entrepreneurial? How do you get to work for you and not compete with the...

asked Aug 25 '11 at 00:06
Blank
Parmanand
9 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.56K Views
Co-founder required - cut your own deal

I'm taking my first few steps in attracting a co-founder. With all the questions, comments and advice I've read concerning attracting a co-founder comes down to integrity...thee most important...

asked Aug 13 '11 at 05:34
Blank
Donald Bailey
27 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.56K Views
iOS app development

What's the fastest way to get an application built and submitted to the app store? We're willing to pay a development house (or individual, though we prefer teams). We'd prefer to use a domestic...

asked Aug 18 '11 at 01:16
Blank
User12764
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.87K Views
What kind of equity should I be looking for? - Tech Startup

I am currently the Director of Engineering for a tech/website startup in NYC. I was hired in Nov 2010 after they obtained an angel investment of around 1 million dollars. I am the second tech...

asked Aug 5 '11 at 07:50
Blank
Commander
111 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
My startup is in "concept" stage. Where should I go from here?

I just found OnStartups and I'm looking forward to sharing insights with you guys. My startup is currently in "concept" stage, and I was wondering where to begin my journey. I have a great idea,...

asked Jul 30 '11 at 01:01
Blank
User12313
16 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
Is it worth the effort to try to make a better version of another iPhone app?

This app (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/graphing-calculator/id289940142?mt=8) seems pretty good, but I would like to make a better version. I am already an iPhone app developer. Is it worth it to...

asked Jul 12 '11 at 05:58
Blank
Ethan
113 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
Good course of action or no?

Originally when first talking about the company myself, and the 2 other cofounders.. at the time decided to do a split on equity. Now, we're about a 1.5-2 months in and the other two cofounders...

asked Jul 14 '11 at 02:42
Blank
User9968
229 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.72K Views
Should I delegate tasks to be done that require knowledge I don't have, or learn it myself?

First off, I'll start by saying I read a few somewhat related posts, but I will still ask my question as my situation is slightly different and may call for different solutions. Anyway, here are...

asked Jul 15 '11 at 03:14
Blank
Drew
1 point

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
Code Copyrighted

What's the deal if you are: The only technical person on your start up / and or the one doing programming. Haven't made a penny 'on-the-books' in terms of your startup Is the code you write on...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 03:59
Blank
User9968
229 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
recommendations for PHP/HTML CMS for a Cloud database

I am working with a web development and design company that has posed a custom CMS for my business. Since this will eat up 60% of the budget for the site, and also I fear tie me to the company, I...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 08:13
Blank
Jdarl1
6 points