Development Questions

3 Votes
6 Answers
4.71K Views
e-commerce store using wordpress

I am considering setting up a e-commerce store for a friend's retailing shop. What I am interested in is a solution that is easy to maintain in terms of administration (insert new products, new...

asked Apr 4 '11 at 01:08
Blank
Alex G
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.76K Views
What aspect of your startups workflow could be better, or how have you improved it?

I have asked a few fledgling tech startups about what they wish they didn't have to spend as much time on. The answer is almost invariably 'not coding' and 'context shifts' as exemplified by...

asked Mar 30 '11 at 15:46
Blank
Unomi
111 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.02K Views
Developing from scratch vs customize existing solution

When working on a startup which way will be the best? Developing from scratch or customize existing projects? Which of them will you choose? Why? I am already a programmer so both of them is ok for...

asked Mar 3 '11 at 22:33
Blank
Erkan Balaban
160 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
4.32K Views
What should a small company charge for development of a mobile (Android) app?

The context of this question is a small web design company that wants to branch out to do mobile application development. I am wondering two things: What average hourly fee do you charge a client...

asked Mar 9 '11 at 10:17
Blank
Jbranchaud
168 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.29K Views
Do I need a web designer or developer/programmer?

I have an idea for a web startup. I really feel that it doesn't need any complicated technology, can I just use a designer instead of developer? And if I do, and my website proves popular and I...

asked Mar 12 '11 at 12:04
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.62K Views
How can I figure out the market size for a mobile app (and then calculate how much money I'd make)?

I have an idea for a VoIP mobile app on Android that would provide some advanced technical features not currently available (i.e. better encryption, firewall traversal, etc.) The problem I have is...

asked Feb 28 '11 at 07:47
Blank
Ajpyles
111 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.37K Views
Hiring a development company

Imagine that I want to launch my web site or other product in six months. It's too much work for one person - perhaps it will need four to eight people. Let's also imagine that I have a good but...

asked Feb 17 '11 at 20:43
Blank
James Barton
11 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
4.35K Views
Need to create a minimum viable product site quickly

I have a few ideas that I need to validate. Is there any offering that lets me quickly create MVP sites? I'd need: Website design template A way to capture user's email address so that they can...

asked Feb 18 '11 at 12:54
Blank
User3462
345 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.55K Views
Why do big internet companies need thousands of "engineers"?

I'm just starting to learn rails myself but I was wondering why companies like FaceBook need 3000+ coders?

asked Jan 14 '11 at 12:27
Blank
Jason Glib
96 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
Core Product development not done in house? Bad?

I heard that core development of product should be done in house. I'm having a web app built by 2 reputable developers (Freelancing) here in the states, is that a bad thing? They are already half...

asked Jan 15 '11 at 08:21
Blank
Jason Glib
96 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
3.09K Views
Ideal iPhone App Developer Team

I'm planning to develop an iPhone application that will connect to facebook and our own company website. I know that I will need a developer for this. But what's the ideal team to get this kind of...

asked Jan 17 '11 at 16:48
Blank
Cluelessbear
96 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.51K Views
What do you do when your software with minimum features is taking forever to develop?

This will be tough to explain but.... What do you do when you are developing a software that needs to deal with large amount of variations of semi structured data from the web ? I told myself it...

asked Dec 29 '10 at 14:31
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.37K Views
Screen recorder for beta testers

We use usertesting.com and love it. But we also have some beta testers we have relationships with who will be testing our product. The question - usertesting.com uses this screen capture program...

asked Dec 15 '10 at 03:44
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
2.85K Views
where can I find passionate developers to build a project to lead to a startup?

I've been looking all around the web, looking for places to find 1-2 passionate developers/artist that would be interested in working on a cool project/idea I have for a site to facilitate in...

asked Nov 22 '10 at 09:36
Blank
Equino X
111 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.36K Views
Any reliable site where *hardware* engineers can be hired for small (work-from-home/telecommute) projects?

For software hackers/developers there are many. However, I need a hardware guy (or girl?) for a relatively small project. Is there a site where I can search for people and see ranks,...

asked Nov 27 '10 at 15:34
Blank
Tzury Bar Yochay
113 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
What are good travel sites or online communities for small developers on the road?

What is/are the best website(s) for travel advice for developers that need to work on the road with a laptop in tow? For instance, if I am traveling through Michigan, what sites or online...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 16:03
Blank
Wrburgess
101 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.99K Views
Would there be any issues with an overseas technical partner?

I have a developer from overseas I have been using for several months, we have a good relationship. I am thinking of bringing him on as the technical partner. Do you think there would be any issues...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 00:33
Blank
Jdeleon
70 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.84K Views
Is building a web appliation from scratch cost-effective?

I am trying to find the most cost effective approach to building a web application based in PHP. I want to know if using a PHP Framework such as, Social Engine would be best to avoid having to...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 09:26
Blank
Alex
40 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.2K Views
How will HTML5 impact the internet landscape?

I attended Geek Fest today in Charlotte, NC and attended a session from Hunter Loftis (@hunterloftis ) Along with some new cool features of HTML5, I learnt that HTML5 has huge potential for being...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 15:51
Blank
Birender Saini
271 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
A gaming network forum and site

I am currently in the process of creating a gaming network, but there are 2 things I'm wondering about. If I were to run multiple games, is it generally a good idea to give every game it's own...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 21:00
Blank
Stark
28 points