Development Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Developer IP and personal Coding

My friend and I recently started our own service company. Since we have no technical background, we found a development guy to join our team. We ended up filing for an LLC two months afterwards (we...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 05:21
Blank
Mo K.
6 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Development (as a non-developer) Outsource v Inhouse

What are the pitfalls and advantages to outsourcing the development of a start up's product. I am not a programmer, my background is in business. I am more inclined to outsource as I am not located...

asked Jul 5 '11 at 13:05
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
When a startup should hire a sys admin?

The startup is growing and you have now 5 full-time devs on your team. You have an older application which is up and running in production and a new web application almost ready to be released. You...

asked Jul 6 '11 at 18:49
Blank
Dervlap
28 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
Good resources to hire developer on a work basis

Is there a place where I could hire a developer (or a team) based on functional specs I would submit. What I am envisioning is a site where I would submit a description of my project and get access...

asked Jun 30 '11 at 07:44
Blank
J Delage
277 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
At a crossroads-Whether to launch or seek more time/funding for more development

I have spent considerable resources on the development of a networking/eCommerce site and have since changed my focus on the core idea for the business to the extent that the website is not 100%...

asked Jul 1 '11 at 10:53
Blank
Ss1225
18 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
How do I figure out how much stock to give a developer working short term in exchange for equity?

I recently participated on a team with a developer at a hackathon. The person has their own freelance business, so unlikely to join fulltime later. They expressed interest in helping with my...

asked Jun 18 '11 at 03:31
Blank
Anonya
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
Six Months Into Start-Up - Focus On One Client or Expand Platforms?

I am currently working for a start-up and our first product has been in development for several months. We have reached a fork in the road and I would like to ask the OnStartups community for some...

asked Jun 22 '11 at 13:55
Blank
Travis Truett
127 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
Outsourcing Development

I've read all the posts and articles against non-tech founders, I get it. That's not my question (this time..) My question is how does everyone feel about the idea of outsourcing development to a...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 08:17
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.34K Views
Building a team vs finding a team of programmers?

I have a team of two (myself and my programmer). I can not program. Yesterday my programmer (he has built 40% of the website so far)said that in order to build a successful product and gain VC...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 11:38
Blank
Lamar
31 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Considerations in outsourcing your website and app development

Before contracting a developer, what should be considered? Legally what documents are standard and recommended, and why?

asked Jun 2 '11 at 12:20
Blank
Sam
509 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.97K Views
Should I outsource the development of my idea or develop it myself?

Short background: I have a web startup idea which solves an existing problem. There are many online solutions available for the problem, but my solution is "unique". I have done a basic background...

asked May 23 '11 at 01:41
Blank
Yuvraj
57 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.7K Views
Is it possible to setup a contract between two parties without being responsible for mistreatment

I recently started http://www.weekendhacker.net in which one of the ideas is to allow designers and developers to barter deals between them. Currently I am referring them to http://foundrs.com/...

asked May 25 '11 at 04:58
Blank
Thom Pete
1,296 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.58K Views
Does it make sense for a SaaS company to also do consulting work?

As a SaaS company we have an entire team in place to do web and application development. Effectively, we have one client: ourselves. Would it make sense for us to take on consulting clients as an...

asked May 16 '11 at 12:27
Blank
Kenneth Vogt
2,917 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.08K Views
Should I search for a web developer/code business partner?

I am in the process of building a B2C online to offline based web service. The service itself is built through contracts that are established offline which are sold to consumers online. I have the...

asked May 8 '11 at 19:33
Blank
Jack
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
What do you do when you have an idea _and_ money but no expertise or experience creating a technical product?

I know that seems like a "how do I cope with my spoil of riches?" type question and I apologize in advance for being the type of amateur class that for all I know has a popular tumblr blog...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 14:41
Blank
Ray Kinsella Not Really
6 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.71K Views
How do I share a startup reasonably?

I posted on Craig's List looking for help developing an idea into a web app. Since there's no money/funding/compensation the thinking is we would take a percentage of the company and the income it...

asked Apr 12 '11 at 08:32
Blank
Crashintoty
18 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.26K Views
Internet startup - ownership share - developers vs biz people?

this is really good advice about ownership shares in a startup company. But the advice is also very general. E.g. in the startup phase developers are extremely important - without them - there is...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 23:41
Blank
Andreas
118 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.89K Views
How much percentage does a developer have in an IT-startup?

How do you distribute the shares among participants of IT-startup (Web-system)? What is the common world practice? For example, there are two participants: the person, who made idea and will do...

asked Apr 15 '11 at 05:39
Blank
Amber
118 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.92K Views
How do I cost-estimate development?

I've developed a working prototype; interface and core functionality for a pretty complex system. (I need the prototype for capital-raising purposes and proof-of-concept.) I am NOT a professional...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 02:03
Blank
Anonymous
16 points

8 Votes
6 Answers
3.6K Views
Web developer in project, slow going, need advice

I was approached over a year ago by a "start up" offering me 10% in the company. I thought about it for a few days and said, "Sure, why not?". I was sucked into the dream of being a part of...

asked Apr 3 '11 at 10:22
Blank
43 points