Product Management Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
Setting unrealistic deadlines to push your team harder?

Is it better to set unrealistic deadlines to push your team harder or realistic ones?I have a feel that deadlines are like revenue goals -- you have to set the bar really high in order to get...

asked May 8 '14 at 14:07
Blank
Anthony Talley
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
What metric to measure product managers?

We're building a recruiting and employee management platform (similar to Yammer).The product records and analyzes metrics for each different type of employee so that we can offer employers of large...

asked Apr 11 '14 at 10:41
Blank
Ariel Jacobs
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Product manager salary higher or lower as compared to software engineers?

I'm a software engineer looking to move into a product manager role. Is the salary as of a product manager higher or lower as compared to software engineers?

asked Mar 11 '14 at 14:53
Blank
Edward Glenn
5 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.17K Views
Distinguishing Need to Have vs Must Have in Client Interviews

When I investigate enterprise client software needs, I can easily identify a list of things that can make them happier. (none are necessarily directly cost-cutting or revenue gaining, but all...

asked Oct 16 '13 at 06:38
Blank
Max
113 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
Have a great product management process overview?

I'm mentoring a former colleague who wants to improve her product management expertise and skills. She's in the very early planning stages at her company on a new product concept. I'd like to give...

asked Jan 26 '13 at 01:19
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
Product Positioning-Large or Small customer focus

We are a software startup and trying to solve a unique problem, which is applicable for both small and large organizations. Is there any recommendation in positioning the product for smaller or...

asked Aug 10 '12 at 04:27
Blank
User8226
197 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Should non-technical entrepreneurs get product management training?

So this is my case: 1) I don't know programming 2) I don't know much about product management 3) I don't have a team nor do I have a prototype/idea yet. So would I be better off : a) training...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 23:21
Blank
Drew X
77 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Trello: Launching as a platform or as a specialized product

Why did the Trello team decide to lunch as a general platform for many different use cases and not as a specialized product for a specific vertical? https://trello.com/

asked Sep 15 '11 at 02:09
Blank
Tomer London
16 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Six Months Into Start-Up - Focus On One Client or Expand Platforms?

I am currently working for a start-up and our first product has been in development for several months. We have reached a fork in the road and I would like to ask the OnStartups community for some...

asked Jun 22 '11 at 13:55
Blank
Travis Truett
127 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.72K Views
How do you validate new product functionality before building it into your product?

What specific tactics do you use to test a feature set that's planned for an upgrade of a current product? Focus group Existing user survey Interviews What else? Tx!

asked Jun 23 '11 at 00:10
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.57K Views
What is the Minimum Level of Quality (MLQ) expected for your Minimum Viable Product (MVP)

This question got me thinking about quality and the expectations of quality for your Minimum Viable Product (MVP). This may seem like a basic question but I wanted to understand the expectations...

asked Apr 9 '11 at 23:06
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Getting Useful Customer Input

In general, being able to tweak your product to better suit customer needs is a good thing. The problem is, sometimes it's difficult to get input from customers that is actually useful in that...

asked Feb 8 '11 at 05:57
Blank
Nick Pascucci
108 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
Where and with whom can I do product development?

Assuming I have an idea for an iPhone Gadget like this: Griffin-Simplifi-iPhone-Reader-Aluminum I am a creative person or a designer. If I want to realize this product to whom do I have to go, to...

asked Dec 19 '10 at 00:33
Blank
Erik
101 points

11 Votes
7 Answers
4.26K Views
What to do when a 800 pound gorilla enters your business?

We had launched blogVault, a wordpress backup service, about a month back. A week later, Automattic, the company behind Wordpress, launches Vaultpress, to massive coverage. This service does pretty...

asked May 6 '10 at 17:47
Blank
User3348
175 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.97K Views
How long should we expect to get traction for a product?

We know that a product of a startup can not gain traction on the first release because basically people are still skeptical about a new product/website, but when should a product/website expect...

asked Apr 5 '10 at 21:59
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
Replace my uploaded iPhone app with a different one?

I released an iPhone running app two weeks ago. When I discovered a bug that only cropped up in the App Store version, I immediately pulled it from sale. Sold maybe 3 copies before I spotted the...

asked Apr 9 '10 at 21:00
Blank
Mike Schoeffler
100 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
4.49K Views
Anyone have experience with usertesting.com? Remote user testing services?

We are looking to do some usability testing on our site. Any experiences with either usertesting.com specifically or other similar services? You pay them to have users test your site, record their...

asked Jan 21 '10 at 07:20
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

2 Votes
13 Answers
3.69K Views
Startup idea and web domain - is it being done already?

I have an idea, and would like to pursue it. Whether or not it becomes big enough to create a startup from it I don't know yet. I have search for other web sites that provide the same service, and...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 18:19
Blank
Iandevlin
121 points