Salary Questions

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.96K Views
Can you pay yourself a small salary from money raised on Kickstarter?

If you raise a small amount of money (under $50K) on Kickstarter for a product you want to build, can you pay yourself a small salary along the way? I am quitting my day job to focus on this...

asked Jun 6 '14 at 16:58
Blank
Mary Pritchett
17 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.05K Views
If a candidate's first question is about salary, is that a potential red flag?

During an interview, when asking candidates if they have any questions, if they first question they ask is about their salary, is that a negative?Would be an indication that they haven't bought...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 13:58
Blank
Alvin Smith
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.17K Views
Whether investors or board members of a company take any payment.

I'm a bit curious to know whether investors or board members of a company take any payment. I didn't heard about it anywhere else. Can anyone give me an answer for this question?.

asked Oct 21 '14 at 09:39
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

2 Votes
0 Answers
1K Views
How to calculate yearly raise for employees?

What process should one take to figure how much raise in salary to give to their employees?We are a small, but profitable company. It's our third year in business and both my cofounder and I have...

asked Apr 21 '15 at 10:57
Blank
Kenneth Mc Cowan
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Can co-founders take variable salaries in a seed funded startup?

We have raised a small round from angel investors and have a problem with setting a fixed salary:If we set a fixed salary, in the beginning stage of the startup, our monthly salary will increase...

asked May 22 '15 at 10:57
Blank
Michael Molloy
12 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.43K Views
What's a good salary for a Ruby on Rails developer in Silicon Valley? Given the high cost of living there.

I'm moving my two-person startup to San Francisco and looking to hire a Rails engineer there.Given how expensive the cost of living is there, what is a decent salary for a full-time, intermediate...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 13:55
Blank
Robert Cooperman
12 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Are there any career opportunities in startups to earn a $250K a year salary?

For startups that have raised a series A round or higher, is it possible to get a job as a software engineer getting paid at least $250K a year?Equity isn't something that attracts me much as I've...

asked Jun 29 '15 at 12:12
Blank
Mark Hannon
7 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How much should we pay interns for summer jobs?

We want to hire interns this summer to help with basic tasks for our startups (marketing outreach, data entry, research, etc). How much should we interns for these temporary positions?I've seen...

asked May 27 '14 at 12:28
Blank
Tanja Edwards
1 point

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.31K Views
Can you pay employees with a credit card? (not contractors)

Is there a way to pay employees' salary with a credit card? It's not because our startup is in trouble or anything. I figured this would be a great way to earn points on the card, which can then be...

asked May 22 '14 at 16:55
Blank
Thomas Evans
17 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.41K Views
Average salary of a seed stage funded founder?

Assuming a startup raised a round smaller than $500K, what should the founder's salary be? The startup is located in San Francisco, so the cost of living is pretty high. Would angel investors be...

asked May 22 '14 at 12:57
Blank
Sylvia Rubio
12 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.6K Views
Bootstrapping: should you pay yourself a salary or reinvest all profits back into the business?

Lets say you are bootstrapping your startup and generating a little revenue. Should you use that revenue to first pay yourself a salary or should all of the profits be re-invested back to fuel growth?

asked May 21 '14 at 16:42
Blank
David Thornhill
17 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Is it possible to get first employee to work for equity and deferred salary?

Does anyone have any experience in getting someone onboard a startup without funding, for just a large chunk of equity (10%) and a deferred salary? i.e. Their salary would still be paid but accrued...

asked Mar 14 '14 at 13:30
Blank
Mark Woodard
40 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Product manager salary higher or lower as compared to software engineers?

I'm a software engineer looking to move into a product manager role. Is the salary as of a product manager higher or lower as compared to software engineers?

asked Mar 11 '14 at 14:53
Blank
Edward Glenn
5 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Employee sign-on bonuses? Do new hires expect one as norm?

I read an article that Facebook gives some newly graduated engineers a $100K sign on bonus! Are sign-on bonuses, not necessarily the crazy amount FB offers, becoming the norm to hire skilled...

asked Feb 18 '14 at 18:31
Blank
Rodney
16 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Sales team compensation structure?

What are some good ways to structure compensation for your sales people? We have a SaaS product and here is the structure I've currently defined for sales people we'll hire: $30K base salary 10% of...

asked Mar 7 '14 at 16:24
Blank
Juan Anderson
30 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.47K Views
Company getting acquired: would they keep salaries the same? Or re-evaluate everyone?

The startup I'm working for is likely to get acquired shortly. We get paid above market rates and it has been one of the reasons for low attrition here.Would an acquirer lower everyone's salary to...

asked Mar 3 '14 at 23:53
Blank
Clarine Nordberg
40 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
21.8K Views
Someone in HR leaked my salary over lunch. Now my team knows that I make 3x they do. What to do?

I work at a small startup (~30 people) and the woman that is responsible for recruiting apparently told my salary to someone while having lunch (I don't know to who).Now my department knows that I...

asked Mar 3 '14 at 20:06
Blank
Esther Rooker
80 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.08K Views
Standard yearly raise to give to engineers?

A couple of questions regarding base annual raises: What would you suggest is a typical yearly salary increase for engineers in the bay area? Should you make it standard for the entire tech...

asked Feb 9 '14 at 15:53
Blank
Sofine HÃ¥konsen
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
Publicize employee salaries like Buffer, good or bad?

I came across an article about a company (Buffer) that made salaries of all employees public in order to be more transparent. What are the benefits of doing that?

asked Feb 17 '14 at 11:13
Blank
Marlon Wheeler
11 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Ways to negotiate salary demands with initial employees?

My one-man operation has taken off the ground and it's reached a point where I must hire something to keep things going. What are some strategies and ways to negotiate salary requirements when I...

asked Feb 2 '14 at 09:47
Blank
Tylar Michaelson
41 points