Payroll Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
6K Views
Considerations in setting up a payroll schedule (pay periods & pay days)?

I am setting up payroll for the first time. So far in my research I have discovered that the state of Arizona requires: I must pay employees within 5 days of the pay period. I must schedule pay...

asked Sep 26 '12 at 19:13
Blank
Clint
695 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
4.45K Views
DIY Payroll Processing?

I have tried (and been rejected by) a few online payroll solutions. As I am about to start (very soon) working with real employees, I need to find a way to do payroll more or less manually (though...

asked Mar 30 '12 at 01:53
Blank
Michael Trausch
135 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
I'm leaving a startup, am I responsible for money taken out of the business account?

I have been working on a startup for 5 months. The startup has some outside investment and money in the bank. My co-founder is CEO and never set up payroll. Instead, he had us taking money directly...

asked Nov 22 '13 at 09:16
Blank
David P6
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Paying a freelancer in the US from EU

I am currently working a lot with a freelancer from the US. I am based in Germany. Now we are currently finishing our first project and I need to pay him. I would like to avoid cost of paypal if...

asked Aug 2 '13 at 23:22
Blank
Christian
3,590 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
What should pay be before payroll is setup?

All, I am a cofounder at a startup and we are still in the process of setting up payroll. For the time being, we have estimated taxes and are paying both my cofounder and myself the after-tax...

asked Jul 13 '13 at 01:49
Blank
James
133 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
How do payroll taxes work?

This may sound like a very naive question for a site on Startups, but...how do payroll taxes work? From what I can tell from doing database work at a company they seem to consist of percentages of...

asked Apr 9 '13 at 05:54
Blank
Leeand00
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
Single Employee S Corp - Wage/Salary Options

I'm starting a self-employed S-Corp to perform software development services for which I will charge an hourly rate. I'm setting myself up as the sole employee of the S-Corp and will pay myself...

asked Mar 1 '13 at 08:46
Blank
User25256
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
5.69K Views
Should I be an employee of my wife's single member LLC?

I'm a software developer and for the past 15 years I've been moonlighting in addition to my fulltime job. Back in 2009 my wife formed a single member LLC and we started running our side jobs (she's...

asked Dec 8 '12 at 03:50
Blank
Dar Lom
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
The startup I work for is slashing my last pay periods paycheck without notice

This question is not directly related to a creating or running a startup, but I guess this is one of the things that can happen at a startup and I'd love to hear responses from both sides of the...

asked May 8 '12 at 08:32
Blank
Peter
111 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
Choose to pay the employees a little too much or a little too less?

We tend to think that the fair value of a work is the price of it, but it's hard to appreciate. As a web startup, what do you think is the best strategy, keep the pay a little too less to keep the...

asked Mar 22 '12 at 01:12
Blank
Hartator
116 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
1.92K Views
Managing taxes, quarterly filings - what am I looking for?

I'm not sure what the name of the service or person(s) I'm looking for, so I'm asking here hoping I can find the right thing to search for, and maybe even some recommendations. We need someone we...

asked Feb 6 '12 at 19:08
Blank
Chris Moschini
121 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Taking a Paycheck from LLC

I recently created an LLC and was curious to how I should take a paycheck from the business account. Up until this point, I haven't taken a paycheck and will need to soon. The business has a bank...

asked Nov 30 '11 at 09:54
Blank
Zakman411
174 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.96K Views
Minimum wage laws and startups?

As a technical person, you see this a lot: "I've got this great idea to be the next $BIG_SITE. I need you to build a site for me - it should only take 3 months or so. Meanwhile, you can crash on...

asked Nov 15 '11 at 10:12
Blank
Ryan Wilcox
183 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.02K Views
Qualifying someone as an employee vs a contractor

My wife and I have a very small catering company. We have recently gotten all of the business licenses and tax identification and things set up that we need. We have no full time employees, but we...

asked Sep 1 '11 at 12:23
Blank
Cmp
111 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.22K Views
How much cash reserves should you plan to have before hiring?

We're at a point where we need to hire at 1-2 employees, and I'm not sure how much cash to have on hand. We're a SaaS product, with growing traction and on target to be cash-flow neutral next year....

asked Jul 8 '11 at 23:13
Blank
Nicko
840 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
Are salaried employees always exempt from overtime in NY state?

Due to the new "Wage and Hour Law " in New York State, employers are required to have all new employees fill out a form at hire time and ALSO once a year. New York defers to federal regulation for...

asked Jun 1 '11 at 06:19
Blank
Michael Pryor
2,250 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Payroll concerns?

Has anyone used the online payroll system called "SurePayroll"? If so what were the pros and cons? Please tell the good, bad, and the ugly.

asked May 21 '11 at 23:48
Blank
Mc Cants
16 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.81K Views
How To Do Single Person LLC Accounting?

I am in a single person LLC, so I am allowed to file my taxes on my personal return and I don't have to cut myself paychecks. I would prefer to take all of the money out at the end of the year....

asked Apr 28 '11 at 08:38
Blank
Skaz
254 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.78K Views
LLC or S-corp for a 2 person California consulting company

My business partner and I currently work as independent contractors in California writing software and have decided to turn it into a real company. Ownership will be 50/50. All revenue will come...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 08:35
Blank
Todd H
196 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.78K Views
Can I pay a passthrough LLC member via a paycheck instead of a distribution?

I was doing the books for an LLC last year and our accountants told us that paying one of the members via payroll was not the correct way to pay them and that the member should be paid via a...

asked Mar 1 '11 at 07:56
Blank
Michael Pryor
2,250 points