Human Resources Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.02K Views
Should you provide any bonuses to employees whose ideas make a significant contribution to the bottom line?

We're just getting started with scaling our business and one of the things we want to implement is a 4/1 work day. 4 days are spent working, and 1 day is for individual projects (just like Google's...

asked Jun 6 '14 at 15:27
Blank
William Green
14 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Everyone in startup running a long sprint to launch: are there any legal considerations on the maximum hours per week?

We are a small startup with five employees: Two co-founders Two software engineers One designer It's a non-issue for the founders as it's our company, but for employees, should we notgo over a...

asked Jun 21 '15 at 14:55
Blank
Lance Hernandez
9 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
Hiring an office manager: how do you deal with account passwords?

As our startup is growing, and in order to provide more time for the founders to work on the business instead of administrative tasks, we'll be hiring an office manager. This person would be...

3 Votes
2 Answers
Process to let go of an employee?

We made a hiring mistake and need to terminate an employee. It's one of the hardest things I've come across as this will be a first. What the best way to gently let go of someone who isn't the...

asked May 25 '14 at 20:43
Blank
Dorothy Taylor
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.58K Views
Giving software engineers a small coding challenge prior to actual interview?

What do you think about giving engineers a small software assignment that they complete at home and send over before scheduling an interview. This would really help an employer save both their and...

0 Votes
0 Answers
Best payroll and health care solution for a startup with 5 employees?

What provider would you recommend for small startups that handle all the administrative employee tasks like payroll, providing health insurance, benefits, etc?An ideal such HR solution would have a...

asked May 5 '14 at 19:28
Blank
Mabel Owen
4 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Allowing employees to use their own computers?

If an employee would like to use their own laptop for software development work, should you allow it?This is a full time employee, not a contractor. What are some pros and cons against allowing...

asked Apr 28 '14 at 17:28
Blank
Michael Davis
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
What metrics to keep track on for recruiting?

What some of the most important metrics that an HR department should keep track of.The way we should be watching conversion metrics when building landing pages, similarly, what numbers should a...

asked Apr 6 '14 at 13:42
Blank
Kathleen Ziemba
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Why do recruiters exist if every founder finds them annoying and doesn't want to deal with them?

Almost everyone complains about recruiters hammering them with calls and emails. If I were to call several startups, before I could finish my sentence after saying the word "recruiter", they'd...

asked Mar 21 '14 at 13:11
Blank
Gregory Justice
30 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Best tools for small HR team at startup?

What are some helpful tools (both free or paid) for 2-4 person HR department at a startup?

asked Mar 12 '14 at 06:01
Blank
Theodore Taylor
40 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Your best tip for hiring people?

What is your single best advice for attracting and hiring people?

asked Mar 14 '14 at 11:17
Blank
Javier Moreno
40 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Best qualities to look for while hiring an engineer?

What are some traits that I should be looking for while hiring out my engineering team? While most things could apply to other roles as well, is there anything specific with engineers that I should...

asked Mar 12 '14 at 16:27
Blank
Jocelyn Moore
5 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to diffuse arguments between employees safely without firing someone?

Lets say two of your employees are always having arguments about the smallest things. How would you as a founder diffuse the situation without having to fire someone (as both of them are valuable...

asked Mar 7 '14 at 22:06
Blank
Lorraine Bunch
35 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
21.7K Views
Someone in HR leaked my salary over lunch. Now my team knows that I make 3x they do. What to do?

I work at a small startup (~30 people) and the woman that is responsible for recruiting apparently told my salary to someone while having lunch (I don't know to who).Now my department knows that I...

asked Mar 3 '14 at 20:06
Blank
Esther Rooker
80 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Offered employees flexible working hours: now no one shows up on time! What to do?

I have a very small operation (just three employees) and we decided to try out flexible hours when we hired our latest engineer. Now no one shows up on time every day!Usually it's not an issue, but...

asked Mar 1 '14 at 06:41
Blank
Kenya Brouwer
90 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Biggest problem companies have hiring sales people?

What would you say is the biggest friction point in hiring good sales people that can sell well?

asked Feb 24 '14 at 20:33
Blank
Shaina Mc Cullough
10 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Is it ethical for a recruiter to ask which places you've applied to already?

I feel recruiters get a bad rap because many do scummy tactics like asking where you've worked before... so they can contact those companies and then try to get a commission if you get hired.Is...

asked Feb 22 '14 at 10:27
Blank
Pamela Waddle
50 points

9 Votes
7 Answers
1.92K Views
Is there hope for this worker, or should I just get rid of him?

I made arrangements for a recent college grad to come in and help us out with some part time development as an independent contractor. The guy does decent work when he's here, but he rarely can...

asked Aug 13 '13 at 02:23
Blank
Contrazoom
186 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
What is considered "generous-stock-options" for a start-up company in its early days?

We are a young startup, founded by 3 members about a year and a half ago, and recently closed a seed-stage investment round. We are about to hire our first 3 employees, 2 tech, 1...

asked Dec 18 '12 at 17:25
Blank
Founder
11 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Can I hire two CTOs for my Startup?

I would like to prevent being dependant on one CTO, because fast and efficient progress is too important. Is it possible to hire two CTOs at the beginning? Or will it be similar to hiring two...

asked Oct 28 '12 at 03:57
Blank
Daniel Jan Neetzel
21 points