Incentives Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Freelance subcontractor used to be great, but now becoming less responsive

About a year ago I started working with a remote subcontractor, who has done some really great work for me since then. It is an ongoing project, and he has been very responsive and easy to work...

asked Jun 6 '13 at 22:19
Blank
Contrazoom
186 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.27K Views
Incentivizing crowdsourcing through stock/equity IOUs: 1 free share per submission

During its mission to raise popularity in the midst of the dot-com boom in '98, TravelZoo gave a few free shares to each person who signed up for their mailing list. Hypothetically, let's say I'm...

asked Sep 2 '12 at 14:24
Blank
Maxim Zaslavsky
101 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
How to incentivise current employer in future startup?

I am currently employed by a company whose core business is not IT-related but I have developed a few applications that are central to some crucial business processes and I want to create a startup...

asked Jun 1 '12 at 02:02
Blank
Assylias
103 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.42K Views
Founder is responsible for sales and wants incentives in addition to our equal compensation

My partner is the founder and I am the co-founder of our company. He has a sales background and I have operations. We agreed for him to have more equity (50/30) as the company/products were his...

asked May 13 '12 at 04:45
Blank
Alex
31 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
7.64K Views
invoicing for a bonus incentive

I was offered a specific bonus amount on top my hourly rate if I could complete a project by a specific deadline. I met the requirements for the bonus. It's time to invoice and I'm wondering if I...

asked Mar 17 '12 at 16:12
Blank
Dustin Davis
272 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
What to do to boost user registration

I started planning a new web service. I started to write some effect maps to define primary goals that are basically related to growing numbers of: site traffic user registrations user shopping...

asked Jan 6 '12 at 22:27
Blank
Robert Koritnik
308 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
Stock Option Plan for Contractors?

I'm starting my first company (software for Reputation Management) and will be contracting 3 guys; 2 full-time paid and 1 who is doing work pro bono. As it happens in the early stages of companies,...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 00:55
Blank
Kamila
11 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.82K Views
What incentives can I give business customers to sell my product to their network?

I have treated my first few business customers of my software product very well. They are senior managers of medium sized companites. My problem is that I cannot get them to sell my product in...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 07:31
Blank
David
1,567 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.04K Views
Which is better to incorporate Austin or Delaware?

We are planning to form a company for online e-commerce sale and would like to know which is better location - Austin (TX) or Delaware for the following: Ease of formation (we are in India, and...

asked Jan 11 '11 at 03:32
Blank
Manuj
51 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
6.76K Views
How much in stock options should we offer new employees?

We're a software startup with annual revenue in the ballpark of half a million. We're completely bootstrapped, and have no current plans to take funding. We currently have 4 employees. We're...

asked Dec 11 '10 at 04:28
Blank
Polemarch
301 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
What's the best way to give away $25 amazon gift vouchers?

I would like to give away $25 Amazon gift vouchers as a strategy to get people to use my bootstrapped startup. What's the best way to give the vouchers away? I would like to give them to the first...

asked Oct 3 '10 at 00:35
Blank
Venturesocially.Com
241 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.79K Views
What are the differences of offering Incentive Stock Options or Non-qualified Stock Options to Employees?

I remember at one point a startup will switch from offering ISO (Incentive Stock Options) to offering Non-qualified Stock Options (NSO) to employees? Can the startup decide which to offer, and...

asked Apr 25 '10 at 00:34
Blank
J Lynch
16 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.98K Views
Does using DISQUS make people comment more?

I am feeling the effect of seeing DISQUS on certain blogs in that it makes me more likely to comment. Is this true for others here? Does any blog/site owner have data on increased comment counts...

asked Feb 22 '10 at 01:27
Blank
Eric
352 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.16K Views
Reward customers for bugs reports?

Do you reward your users when they contribute to the product (for example - with detailed bug reports)? I'm wondering if we should give them a couple of weeks of free service, or maybe a discount...

asked Feb 22 '10 at 11:53
Blank
Slav Ivanov
1,146 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.13K Views
Incentive Stock Options (ISO Pool) - How much to earmark?

Based on your experiences, I'm wondering if any of you had any advice on the percentage can I expect to earmark for ISO pool when incorporating? 10%? 15%? 20%? Thanks!

asked Mar 3 '10 at 06:31
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
Incentives for users in a community?

I'd like to brainstorm with some others on what you think are options for "incentivising" users to use a site in a community. eg. things like user retention, and increasing the odds that people are...

asked Dec 25 '09 at 08:56
Blank
Matt
460 points

8 Votes
14 Answers
4.46K Views
How to hire the best developers?

Joel Spolsky is always writing about how companies should treat and offer the best to their developers in order to be able to get the best of them. As a startup, when the time comes and you do need...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 12:44
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points