Engineers Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.34K Views
How can a non-engineer founder know if the developer they hired is any good?

I'm a non-technical founder who is hiring my first employee, a Ruby on Rails engineer. While I'm great at execution on the business end, I'm clueless when it comes to the actual tech that my...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 00:11
Blank
Mary Gould
12 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.11K Views
Verifying college degrees while hiring engineers?

Should you ask for college transcripts or a copy of the college degree when hiring software engineers? Wouldn't it be easy to just lie on the resume otherwise and state you have a PhD from Harvard?

asked Aug 30 '14 at 18:13
Blank
Darin Swint
11 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.33K Views
What's a good salary for a Ruby on Rails developer in Silicon Valley? Given the high cost of living there.

I'm moving my two-person startup to San Francisco and looking to hire a Rails engineer there.Given how expensive the cost of living is there, what is a decent salary for a full-time, intermediate...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 13:55
Blank
Robert Cooperman
12 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.78K Views
Giving software engineers a small coding challenge prior to actual interview?

What do you think about giving engineers a small software assignment that they complete at home and send over before scheduling an interview. This would really help an employer save both their and...

asked May 9 '14 at 16:40
Blank
Ruth Mercedes
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Showing code samples when interviewing for technical jobs?

What type of code samples should you show to a prospective employer when all your work has been for other companies? I don't currently have any open source contributions that employers can look...

asked May 9 '14 at 14:16
Blank
Kevin Sloane
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.42K Views
Hiring software engineers: should you look for overall experience or expertise of a specific language?

When hiring software engineers, should you place more weight on the expertise of the specific language or framework you are using, or overall skill and experience.i.e. A great engineer with 10+...

asked Apr 18 '14 at 00:12
Blank
William Jensen
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Take-home programming assignment for job applicants? Good or bad?

Is it better to have software engineering candidates code during the interview or let them do it from home?Since most engineers are introverts, my guess would be that allowing them to code from...

asked Apr 1 '14 at 14:59
Blank
William Thomas
7 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Top ways a software engineer can screw up an interview?

What are the most often occurring things that developers do due to which they don't get hired?

asked Mar 29 '14 at 21:57
Blank
Kara Tyler
2 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.2K Views
How to filter out bad software engineer candidates when hiring?

I'm hiring a software engineer and have gotten a boat load of resumes. I can easily rule out the obvious ones based on geography (since I can't afford to pay someone to relocate).What are some...

asked Mar 28 '14 at 17:29
Blank
Rufus Joyce
17 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Knowledge of algorithms required to be a CTO or VP of Engineering?

I have several years of experience developing software and managing small teams. But I struggle with learning about algorithms. Does that put a huge negative on me being a CTO in the near...

asked Feb 26 '14 at 15:16
Blank
Oscar Bennett
35 points

8 Votes
14 Answers
4.46K Views
How to hire the best developers?

Joel Spolsky is always writing about how companies should treat and offer the best to their developers in order to be able to get the best of them. As a startup, when the time comes and you do need...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 12:44
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points