Founders Questions

3 Votes
0 Answers
1.78K Views
VCs always say they invest in teams, not ideas. So should the pitch be mostly about the team's experience?

Every VC and funded startup says that venture capitalists invest in the team, not the idea.By that logic, shouldn't your pitch mostly be about the team's experience?Also, How can you highlight your...

asked May 7 '14 at 13:25
Blank
Denise Crabill
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.34K Views
How to fire my co-founder who has nothing to do with the start up any more?

I started my company from scratch and found a technical co-founder to build my product. So I managed to hustle in order to find this guy, who was working in a company. He started working for me...

asked Aug 30 '14 at 10:43
Blank
User34129
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
Startup roleplay: you are given $20K to start a business. What business would you start and how would you use the money?

I thought it would be fun to bounce ideas off other entrepreneurs here by creating a roleplaying game.You are given a $20,000 loan, interest free from friends and family.What business would you...

asked May 20 '15 at 17:57
Blank
Janie Parrish
14 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
When does founder liquidity become an option when raising money?

At which point in rounds of financing does partial liquidity for the founders become an option?Is it solely based on which round of financing it is (i.e. Series C, for example)? Or can a founder...

asked Jun 10 '14 at 12:25
Blank
Donald Ocampo
4 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.03K Views
What's the worst failure you had in business and what did you learn from it?

What's the biggest failure you had while building a startup and what was the take away?

asked Jun 16 '14 at 21:25
Blank
Verdell Smith
22 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
At what point can founders expect some liquidity when raising money?

It's obvious that there is no liquidity for founders during a seed and series A since you are just starting the business.In subsequent rounds, however, when can a founder realistically expect some...

asked Jun 26 '14 at 18:56
Blank
Flora Murphy
2 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Startups and anxiety: how do solo founders motivate themselves when things don't go according to plan?

Almost no one gets to realize their metrics of success when they launch their startup. It's a long, arduous journey which no one anticipates until they launch their product, only to find that...

0 Votes
0 Answers
What do founders invest in to grow your personal wealth (outside of your startup)?

Would love to hear some personal experiences on investments that have worked for you and ones that didn't.I am currently experimenting with buying stocks in companies I like and know will be around...

asked Jul 9 '14 at 21:13
Blank
Kenneth Thomas
1 point

2 Votes
0 Answers
What is the biggest risk your have taken in your startup and how did it turn out?

What is the biggest risk you undertook at your company and what happened?Mine was maxing out all my credit cards. I went from having $100K in the bank to owing over $200K in loans. In the end, it...

asked Jul 16 '14 at 19:13
Blank
Lawrence Perez
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.01K Views
Should you create a standardized recruitment process for a new startup?

I'm the business co-founder in our startup and creating processes to keep things running smoothly and being able to focus on sales.Should startups have a process in the place for hiring? If so,...

asked Jul 21 '14 at 15:03
Blank
Ralph Setzer
9 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to form permanent habits of doing important daily, repetitive tasks?

There are several repetitive tasks that I need to do in my startup (outreach for link building is one, writing blog posts is another.Every time I start a new site, I do these diligently for a week...

asked Jul 25 '14 at 12:28
Blank
Amanda Palmer
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
What are the skills that a solo co-founder must learn and balance between?

I'm currently a purely technical founder who is working on a SaaS application.What kind of skills should I also be learning on the side to become a better solo founder and make my startup a...

asked Jul 25 '14 at 20:27
Blank
Lois Cooper
7 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.04K Views
How to get over "redesign entire app" or "recode from scratch" syndrome?

As a founder of a few apps, I always get caught up in redesigning or recoding an entire app from scratch.Sometimes it's because I'm not satisfied with the first iteration (or have been staring at...

asked Aug 29 '14 at 15:29
Blank
David Ponder
17 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Leaving a startup you're the founder of: how much notice to give?

If you're the founder of a startup which has "grown up" and already has a replacement CEO, how much prior notice should you give to leave?This is presuming the following: A replacement CEO has...

asked Sep 19 '14 at 16:10
Blank
David Frost
7 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Should I stand firm to be CEO?

Between me and my 5 other co-founders, we are deciding who will hold the CEO position. It has come down to me and another founder. I was told from one of my other founders that they thought I...

asked Sep 19 '14 at 19:25
Blank
User34135
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to raise money if you don't have a network or went to an ivy league school?

It turns out that most new founders that get seed funded usually get their foot in the VC door via: Recommended by someone Worked at a well known company like Google or FB Went to an ivy league...

asked May 19 '15 at 21:14
Blank
Juan Bourg
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to overcome being an introvert as a new startup founder?

I am an engineer turned founder who is having a tough time coming out of my introverted shell. It's a barrier that I'm trying to overcome in order to finally hire my first employee and possibly...

asked May 20 '15 at 15:42
Blank
Morgan Skeen
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Can co-founders take variable salaries in a seed funded startup?

We have raised a small round from angel investors and have a problem with setting a fixed salary:If we set a fixed salary, in the beginning stage of the startup, our monthly salary will increase...

asked May 22 '15 at 10:57
Blank
Michael Molloy
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.12K Views
Founders: what aspect of your personal life is holding you back the most from achieving the success you desire?

And how do you cope with it while building your startup?Here are some things that might be roadblocks for some: Kids Lack of money / financial stability Fear of failure

asked Jun 11 '15 at 22:42
Blank
Glenn Vick
14 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
How can a non-engineer founder know if the developer they hired is any good?

I'm a non-technical founder who is hiring my first employee, a Ruby on Rails engineer. While I'm great at execution on the business end, I'm clueless when it comes to the actual tech that my...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 00:11
Blank
Mary Gould
12 points