Founders Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Advice to become a technical founder

My aspiration in life is to become a entrepreneur and because of my background (4 years as a software developer) I figure I would go best if I start out as a technical founder at a start up. I...

asked Aug 30 '10 at 23:12
Blank
Dont Judge Those Who Try And Fail
8 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.46K Views
Startup in United states

If I need to start a company in United states what are the procedures and legal affairs? From where I can get more information on this? I'm not a U.S Citizen.

asked Sep 23 '10 at 22:16
Blank
Sarat
134 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.55K Views
Protections for minority shareholder in SHA (shareholders agreement)

We are in early startup phase. One founder has a big majority stake and we are co-founders with small 5 minority stake. We have good relations and we are happy with the stakes, but we would like to...

asked May 4 '10 at 23:59
Blank
Waldec
11 points

2 Votes
11 Answers
3.59K Views
The Single Most Important Trait of a Founder

So I've been thinking a lot about important traits of startup founders. I keep coming back to the notion that the single, most indispensable trait of a startup founder is the ability to pick up the...

asked Mar 28 '10 at 02:24
Blank
Fractal Guy
254 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.49K Views
Should my startup pay me?

I'm getting ready to launch a startup (currently have a C corp set up that I am running under). It has a platform under development, but I'm planning on having some ancilliary services to provide...

asked Mar 17 '10 at 00:38
Blank
Ev Conrad
561 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.69K Views
How to vest founder equity with full time and part time cofounders

Here is the situation. I'm working with two other folk on our startup and we are now planning to incorporate. We're trying to figure out how to allocate founder equity between ourselves. So far,...

asked Mar 3 '10 at 08:09
Blank
Matt
113 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.76K Views
Founder's Stock - Class F Common

I've first heard of this special class of stock through The Founder Institute. It's basically a way for founders to protect from dilution by authorizing both Common stock and a special Class F (for...

asked Mar 6 '10 at 08:51
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

10 Votes
4 Answers
8.34K Views
Founders Agreement

Can anyone recommend a place where I can download standard founders-agreement for a tech-startup? Preferably, it should include something about founders vesting (e.g. founders will become diluted...

asked Jan 21 '10 at 18:59
Blank
Murkin
184 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.71K Views
Startup organization before incorporation

I'm beginning a startup at my school. Right now its just me doing all the work, but i am gathering a team that will ideally be my co-founders. I wont be incorporating any time soon, but i will be...

asked Jan 27 '10 at 10:29
Blank
Eric Amzalag
818 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.33K Views
Single Founder Vesting?

Does it make sense to sign a vesting restriction for myself, if I'm a single founder of my company?

asked Jan 31 '10 at 11:03
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
3.5K Views
How can non/coders contribute to a startup?

The subject is the question. How can someone who does not know how to code contribute to a startup? Do you recommend that that member attempt to learn some basic coding so as to contribute to the...

asked Jan 20 '10 at 11:23
Blank
Eric Amzalag
818 points

10 Votes
11 Answers
6.21K Views
What's a reasonable amount of equity to retain when you're the key founder?

I'm working with two other partners to get a SaaS startup off the ground. I worked on this thing slowly, mostly on my own, for about two years before approaching my partners. As a background, I...

asked Dec 23 '09 at 18:21
Blank
Brianz
223 points

3 Votes
9 Answers
6.47K Views
Qualities/skills of a CEO

i have the idea for this events based website but how do i know if i need to hire a CEO or if i can be one. 1: i am not that social but i can communicate clearly on the topics of my...

asked Dec 19 '09 at 05:14
Blank
Syed
445 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.34K Views
Would You use fairsoftware.com to find contributers?

Would you consider using Fairsoft 's share vesting system in an early start-up to increase the amount of resources (skilled people) you have access too? You would be using vested equity (though...

asked Nov 24 '09 at 13:48
Blank
Adam
446 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
Are there standard approaches to equity and compensation when joining early stage startups?

I recently met the founder of a web startup who is looking to build his management team. I would fill an executive position on that team. Last year, the company received initial angel funding...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 15:04
Blank
Robert
43 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
7.63K Views
How late in a startup's life can you bring in other co-founders?

Is there a time in the life of a startup after which you can't bring someone on board with the "cofounder" designation? I've observed additional cofounders coming onboard past the founding event,...

asked Nov 27 '09 at 18:07
Blank
Robert
43 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.97K Views
The compensation equation - what's a good mix?

Here is the compensation equation, as I see it: Equity - how much ownership one has, and when (roughly) it will be worth something Wage - how much salary one recieves Career - how the position...

asked Nov 18 '09 at 23:45
Blank
Cortez
26 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
3.27K Views
What makes a good web startup founder?

What are some the characteristics and qualities that you have seen that they may have in common.

asked Nov 20 '09 at 08:00
Blank
Usman Sheikh
1,728 points

9 Votes
4 Answers
3.64K Views
How should founders treat their paid-in cash in a self-funded startup?

In a founder-funded company, how should the founders treat the cash that they contribute to the company? Should it be convertible debt? Equity (but the founders already have all the equity...

asked Oct 30 '09 at 05:07
Blank
Brandon
108 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.68K Views
Reasonable budget to prepare a shareholder agreement

What's a reasonable budget for forming a proper shareholder agreement in a new start up, formed as a corporation to be owned between 4 founder/shareholders? I understnad there's some variation...

asked Nov 3 '09 at 04:16
Blank
Michael
250 points