Founders Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
How do divide up equity if I'm providing the idea, mentoring and a smalll amount of funding

I have what I think is a really good idea for a product/business. I don't have time to develop it so I'm thinking of sharing the idea with some entrepreneurship students at a local university. I...

asked Apr 4 '13 at 13:09
Blank
Clay Nichols
737 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.78K Views
What to do with equity if co-founder / early employee quits?

I founded a company on my own a couple of years back. Got a couple of small clients on board and started making money (not a lot!). Worked for 1 year on it alone and decided to get an excellent...

asked Mar 19 '13 at 10:46
Blank
Robert Smith
11 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.8K Views
What Should I do as Founder

Hope you can help me out with little advice here. I recently founded a website and I have no technical programming. Perhaps I was lucky that I found a rich partner who can't work full time. But he...

asked Feb 23 '13 at 22:35
Blank
Trana
24 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2K Views
Fair equity/cash for one year's contribution?

So I asked a broader question on this situation before, but am now trying to narrow it down to the core issue after negotiations failed yet again with my co-founders. I am a tech guy who joined a...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 04:37
Blank
User25060
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Splitting equity between founders

X was working part-time on an idea and after about a year and a basic demo in hand, he talked to two potential people (A and B) who would become co-founders but would work part-time just like X....

asked Jan 29 '13 at 19:53
Blank
Vibgy
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Director service contracts

The two of us are going to found a company and will work on all necessary tasks without taking pay at least for the first year. In this case, are we going to be Executive Directors? If so, will we...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 03:16
Blank
Kate
99 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Single Founder Rate of Success

I've spent quite a lot of time, met quite a lot of people, but still am failing at trying to find a cofounder for my startup. I've gone to numerous tech-meetups, met 1:1 with quite a few people,...

asked Feb 8 '13 at 00:41
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Equity split for non day-to-day founder

I wish that my equity situation for my new company were easy; unfortunately it's not - so I'd love feedback and thoughts. I met with a well connected business person (we'll call him Karl), and he...

asked Jan 14 '13 at 11:32
Blank
User22529
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Are non-technical co-founders worth it in the first round?

Background I am a developer by day, working on some of my own side projects at night. I have been approached recently by an acquintance who makes his living as a business analyst. He has a decent...

asked Jan 5 '13 at 01:36
Blank
Mr Fox
158 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
Equity for First paid Tech-employee in a not-profitable financed Startup

I'm trying to be as specific as possible here: We are a Startup 5 months on the go with three co-founders. Since none of us can truly code we need to employ our first Web-developer and we have...

asked Dec 20 '12 at 03:08
Blank
Clemens Kemper
16 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Can I divorce a co-founder

There are currently 3 cofounders and 1 of them is an engineer other 2 are sales representatives. Many of the times technical cofounder doesn't agree with our views and is backed by his team...

asked Dec 4 '12 at 21:51
Blank
Santu
156 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.81K Views
Co-founder question

This is my first startup. I was working with a friend on his startup. He was going to offer me 20% of the company and we worked on it for 4 months. The idea was good but we ran out of money before...

asked Nov 29 '12 at 15:58
Blank
Devin Shavenoff
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Dealing with Co-founder without the same commitment

Imagine the following scenario: 1 founder and self proclaimed CEO , created an idea for a new website internet services, and started developing it. The core of the system is done, he decides that...

asked Oct 15 '12 at 02:26
Blank
South
176 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.45K Views
I might be leaving a startup I co-founded. What are my options?

I co-founded a startup and have been with them for almost a year now. I own around 40 percent of the company, which is to be vested over 3 years. So far, about 1/3 of it has been vested. On top of...

asked Aug 20 '12 at 15:40
Blank
Anonymous
11 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.82K Views
Is this a fair CEO offer for an experienced CFO/COO

My question/story is this: two years ago I broke ground on a startup. We planned and planned, raised some funds and broke ground writing code. Two years later we put $250k into the business, have...

asked Aug 2 '12 at 15:39
Blank
Webwrks
131 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
If I write code with someone just together, are they entitled to equity in my startup?

If a friend casually wanted to hack with me and we wrote something that took off, are they entitled to equity in my company?

asked Jun 24 '12 at 06:04
Blank
User18524
31 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.61K Views
Equity splits for new company are threatening to tear it apart before it gets off the ground

hope to get a few outside opinions here. The cast of the saga: "M" - the "idea person", has experience, has (or will have) money from property in near future, unemployed at present "B" - A...

asked Apr 19 '12 at 07:14
Blank
C Uk
4 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
4.55K Views
Can startup funding cover founder's personal expenses?

I and a friend of mine are working on our own web startup. Right now we are coding the whole thing and would be looking for investors 3-4 months down the line. My question is, can we include our...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 09:32
Blank
Sandip Dev
33 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
Can a company founded by foreign citizen be awarded a DARPA grant?

Can I apply for a DARPA grant, being a foreign citizen who has founded a company in the US? The company would be located in the US and there would be other founders with US citizenship.

asked Feb 27 '12 at 09:48
Blank
Reachus
101 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
Why do the most popular and successful startups generally have founders from the top 10 universities?

Pretty much, you see ["Harvard", "Stanford", "MIT", "Yale", "Princeton",...] ubiquitously in the bios of startup founders. Sure, in some cases they may have dropped out, but none the less they got...

asked Dec 9 '11 at 03:28
Blank
Len
376 points