Founders Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.65K Views
What's a good ratio between founder equity and early employee equity?

I'm looking into the equity for the 2nd employee of an early-stage startup. I've seen lots of rules of thumbs out there (some people say 1%) but it's hard to apply because some rules of thumb refer...

asked Dec 16 '11 at 15:58
Blank
Led
16 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
What title to give to a non-founder first person in company

This question is a follow up to another question but it stands as a question by itself so i decided to ask it separately.. i am a single-founder starting a company and hence looking for...

asked Oct 18 '11 at 23:09
Blank
Achshar
125 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.44K Views
Who owns this product?

What steps should I take to protect myself (and the company) as the sole developer of the product? My business partner will be handling the business side of things. It was his idea, originally,...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 02:53
Blank
Bill
11 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
7.58K Views
20% equity and CTO. (Story and details). Is this fair?

This is a long exposition. Please bear with me, I think that I need to provide as much specifics as possible, while keeping it as short as possible. Thanks for reading, any feedback is much...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 05:22
Blank
Potential Partnership
13 points

10 Votes
1 Answers
5.29K Views
How to Divide Up Your Company's Equity

We get a lot of questions about dividing equity and for good reason. Dividing up your startup's equity creates a lot of heart burn for all of us. It's a tremendously stressful affair if you have...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 22:25
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
2.5K Views
What biography is both inspiring and relevant to a modern technology startup?

Who have you enjoyed reading about most? Which biography has provided the most insight and perspective into a brilliant founder's mind? I have really enjoyed Founders at Work, by the way - even...

asked Jul 17 '11 at 01:41
Blank
Brian
134 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
5.35K Views
Are co-founders employees? Do they need to be paid minimum wage?

If there is a co-founder with 20% equity in the company but no salary, what is his status in the company? Should he be considered an employee? What is the difference between a cofounder and an...

asked Jul 19 '11 at 12:21
Blank
Anil
45 points

13 Votes
9 Answers
6.01K Views
Should we award equity based on specific performance metrics?

My team and I are nearing the launch of our initial product this August. We are wanting to develop a metrics-based system that will be implemented upon product launch that will determine founder's...

asked Jul 6 '11 at 06:27
Blank
Travis Truett
127 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
Founders' salaries

Need help. Startup. Several founders. Got investments n$. Worked for free after getting investments 6 months. Reached and even more, KPIs, Investors are very happy. Now new round with new investors...

asked Jun 14 '11 at 06:38
Blank
Founder
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
Start-up team organization, shares and duties. Advice needed

We are a group of 5 people working on an idea for a start-up. The aim is to find an investor that would allow us to develop the project fully. Now we're just at the idea and presentation stage. 3...

asked Jun 19 '11 at 22:49
Blank
Giovanni
11 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.49K Views
If I launch a new division within my employer's company, should it be treated as a separate startup?

I've been working for my current employer for the past several years as CTO. I recently pitched them on starting a separate division that is more entrepreneurial and experimental to spin out...

asked Jun 20 '11 at 18:54
Blank
Adam
16 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.01K Views
Is there a tax liability for reverse vesting founder stock/units?

A friend and I formed an Oregon LLC in 2008 for an online business. Now we're up and running and both working on it full-time. Now we've both moved to Texas and want to re-form as a Texas company...

asked Jun 21 '11 at 03:39
Blank
Sean
134 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.08K Views
Are there Internet startups that became successful without enormous time commitment from employees?

The software and Internet startup companies I've worked for required 60, 80, or more hours a week of their employees (not just founders), for extended periods of time, up to a year. Are there...

asked Jun 10 '11 at 08:19
Blank
Meva
26 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
How do tech founders keep control over the core technology as their company grows?

Take for example, Google: As I understand, the search engine was started as a research project. (by the way, was it patented or the code is fully open through the contents of the respective...

asked May 17 '11 at 20:58
Blank
User10528
9 points

9 Votes
1 Answers
3.38K Views
Prenuptial separation agreement for cofounders

My apologies if this question has been asked before. I tried to find the answer reviewing other questions and still don't have the answer so here is the question(s): We are now setting up the...

asked Apr 28 '11 at 16:49
Blank
Miguel Buckenmeyer
482 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
How do you start your own company while running someone else's company?

I've been running an in-office and online educational business for 3 years. The original partners are offering me a small equity share, but there is no contract yet (nor has there ever been one). I...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Anthony O
51 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.73K Views
Should I drop my co-founder?

So I started building this company back in January, completely on my own. I knew there would be a lot of work to be done, so just recently I told a PHP buddy about the site. He got really excited...

asked Apr 7 '11 at 23:54
Blank
Edit This
88 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.02K Views
How investors decide, jockey or horse?

For your experience do investors bet on the jockey (founder-s) more than on the horse (idea), when it comes to startups? Also what is general considered attractive investment opportunity when it...

asked Mar 17 '11 at 11:00
Blank
Mat Banik
325 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.88K Views
How to build a founding team

I am working on a startup idea, and currently I am taking it solo. I would very much like to have 1-2 other people to work on it with me. I am a programmer, and I would like a 2nd programmer, and...

asked Feb 15 '11 at 14:11
Blank
Zachary K
208 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Reporting Founder Changes to the IRS

Last year, I incorporated with two other people who, at the time, were all about the project on which we were working. The project eventually fell flat due to loss of interest on their parts....

asked Feb 4 '11 at 12:23
Blank
Shaun
261 points