Expenses Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.45K Views
Overhead costs of employees?

What are the common overhead costs associated with full time employees?I've heard that if a developer's salary is $100K, he actually costs the company $150K.I can't see where all the expenses would...

asked May 3 '14 at 15:12
Blank
Jade Livingston
14 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.23K Views
Tracking startup expenses?

What are some tools, tips, and strategies for tracking expenses in the least friction way as possible?We don't have the resources to get an accountant from the get-go so I will be tracking...

asked Mar 18 '14 at 11:57
Blank
Peter Scott
55 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.81K Views
Hacks to keep burning rate low during initial phase of startups?

What are some tips to save money / keep the burn rate as low as possible when you're building your startup? Doesn't have to be specific to any particular niche of startup.

asked Apr 9 '14 at 20:13
Blank
Maureen Simmons
16 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
What is the correct way to self-fund the expenses of a one-man company?

After having registered a company with a certain share capital, how do I fund the company for the day-to-day operating expenses? Do I:Transfer cash to the company's account and issue more shares to...

asked Mar 22 '14 at 03:12
Blank
Wayne
6 points

10 Votes
5 Answers
4.74K Views
How do you determine how much to raise for seed funding?

Foreward : Assume the beta release had been executed with lean a startup model and had generated impressive traction within a single city launch. In preparation for investment proposals for a web...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 15:47
Blank
Will Ko
268 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
Self-employed, no completed projects yet: can I write my laptop off my taxes?

I've recently started working on a couple of software projects that I hope will generate income in 2014. I eventually want to form an LLC, but I'll probably end up doing that closer to completion...

asked Dec 10 '13 at 19:30
Blank
Archagon
111 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.42K Views
Handling business expenses

With a single-member LLC what is the best way to handle business expenses? Should I pay directly out of my business checking account, use my business credit card, or pay personally and then get...

asked Aug 5 '13 at 16:11
Blank
John E Watson
14 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
How do I know how many people we will need, and what our expenses will be?

We are an expanding internet publishing company. We are in the process of building out a business plan, with an emphasis on the financial numbers. We are trying to find a way to verify some of...

asked Jun 15 '13 at 07:06
Blank
User1279150
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
Rates where the Money Back Guarantees option is used

I have read several other posts on Money Back Guarantees, but none address my question, which is related to expense budgeting. We will be offering a service where we represent the interests of...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 19:25
Blank
Elenesski
100 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
Apportioning annual expenses across multiple tax years

My wife is starting an architecture business as a sole proprietor. One significant expense is insurance. Suppose that she pays $10,000 for insurance now that covers the period Nov. 1, 2012 to...

asked Nov 1 '12 at 10:36
Blank
Kekito
1,936 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Do home office, internet, computer usage etc count in tax deduction?

I am a sole Proprietorship in California. Where can I find a list of acceptable or not acceptable business expenses I am allowed to deduct from my income. Do I need to reimburse myself in anyway...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 22:13
Blank
Marco
130 points

1 Votes
8 Answers
4.65K Views
How the startups manage to afford cost of web servers and other hardware

i want to know, how startups manages their cost of hardware, like servers and other hardware. do they buy brand new material or the second hand, what about room to keep their servers and all other...

asked Aug 16 '12 at 04:34
Blank
Vikas Devde
108 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
At what point do expenses turn to LLC expense?

I recently formed an LLC for a small idea I have, the LLC go effective in FL, USA on the 20th of this month. I have an EIN. At what point do expenses go on the books for the LLC? Is it when the LLC...

asked Apr 15 '12 at 21:48
Blank
Raystafarian
103 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
5.41K Views
How Claim Operating Expenses on Pass Through Multi-Partner LLC

The LLC has operating expenses (e.g., internet, phone, etc.). How are these passed through to the partners? Form 1065 ln 20 provides for Other Deductions such as these (I believe). However,...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 11:45
Blank
Perplexed Bob
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
Can a startup expense an employee's health insurance premiums?

As a proposed company policy, is it a legal/good idea for employees to just expenses their health care premiums? (By "expense", I mean submit an expense report and get a check that has nothing to...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 05:15
Blank
Brad
117 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
4.48K Views
Can startup funding cover founder's personal expenses?

I and a friend of mine are working on our own web startup. Right now we are coding the whole thing and would be looking for investors 3-4 months down the line. My question is, can we include our...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 09:32
Blank
Sandip Dev
33 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
How Indian Laws and taxation applies to European company representative traveling within and abroad?

If I were to be employed by a European company to represent them in India to develop the market, what taxes and laws will apply? Secondly, how will the expenses made within the country and travel...

asked Nov 19 '11 at 19:29
Blank
User14523
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
What to include in our funding requirements?

We're a small group of IT students and recently we came up with an idea that we're going to pitch with business plan in an event hoping to get feedback and funding from investors. (Ok, I read that...

asked Aug 24 '11 at 23:37
Blank
Atul Goyal
496 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Are partnership payments divided up before or after expenses are deducted?

I recently started an llc with a partner..50/50. We both work on client, the money goes into the business account, and the expenses come out of the business account. We have set it up so that what...

asked Jul 26 '11 at 01:24
Blank
Laurie
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
Are mobile phones and service contracts a business write-off?

I purchased a smartphone to help me conduct my business (mobile hotspot, email, access company intranet, etc.). Previously, I did not own a cellphone, personal or business. Additionally, I signed a...

asked Jul 6 '11 at 17:14
Blank
Clint
695 points