Software Engineers Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.27K Views
Persuading software engineers to join a new startup?

I'm a non-technical founder who has been able to get by with outsourced consultants on ODesk for a while.But now that revenues are growing, I want to hire one or two PHP coders onsite. I've posted...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 18:10
Blank
Sonya Dave
19 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Does GPA matter when hiring software engineers?

How important of a signal is the grades and college GPA of a software engineering candidate if they already have 1 or 2 years of experience?Should startups even ask for grades / transcripts of...

1 Votes
1 Answers
How do I know which languages the programmer I'm looking to hire must know?

I don't have much knowledge about programming, but I have a good idea and the resources to develop it. I'm looking for a programmer, but I don't know which programming languages he or she must...

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.57K Views
Where to find work in a part-time startup?

I am a software engineer. I am looking to work in some startup part time (paid or non-paid). Something to do after work or on the weekends. What is the best in-person place in the SF bay area or...

asked Oct 21 '14 at 01:27
Blank
Dan
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Should you compensate engineers on a sliding scale based on performance of the company?

It's standard to pay sales people based on performance. But should something related be structured for software engineers as well?What's a good way to structure performance based incentives for...

1 Votes
1 Answers
Recruiting recent college grads: how to test skills with no prior experience?

We're looking to hire some junior level software engineers who will likely be recent college graduates. Most of the time, these candidates have little to experience that we can do reference checks...

asked Jun 2 '14 at 20:26
Blank
Marie Newton
9 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.38K Views
Giving software engineers a small coding challenge prior to actual interview?

What do you think about giving engineers a small software assignment that they complete at home and send over before scheduling an interview. This would really help an employer save both their and...

1 Votes
1 Answers
I'm a software engineer who gets approached by too many startups. How do I evaluate which one to work with?

I'm a Ruby on Rails software consultant who gets approached by far too many startups that I can possibly service.How do I pick which startups to work with? What criteria would you recommend for a...

asked Apr 19 '14 at 16:59
Blank
Jennifer Slade
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Hiring software engineers: should you look for overall experience or expertise of a specific language?

When hiring software engineers, should you place more weight on the expertise of the specific language or framework you are using, or overall skill and experience.i.e. A great engineer with 10+...

asked Apr 18 '14 at 00:12
Blank
William Jensen
14 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
Is being good at mathematics a precursor to being a good programmer?

I'm a non-technical founder and want to delve into learning a small amount of programming skills. I feel it will help me a lot in avoiding some basic pitfalls.Most of my development is done by...

asked Apr 10 '14 at 13:56
Blank
Michael Reid
14 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Product manager salary higher or lower as compared to software engineers?

I'm a software engineer looking to move into a product manager role. Is the salary as of a product manager higher or lower as compared to software engineers?

asked Mar 11 '14 at 14:53
Blank
Edward Glenn
5 points