Salary Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
S Corp Salary - no income

My startup is at the stage where I'm considering forming an LLC, S-Corp or C-Corp. I've been reading a lot, on this site and others, about the various advantages and disadvantages of the 3 main...

asked Jan 12 '12 at 02:14
Blank
Paul Cezanne
649 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Low startup salary, big stock grant-What to do?

I just got an offer from a friend for a startup in an industry we don't know much about. He likes the idea and has a good track record (in other industries). I am still unsure about the validity of...

asked Jan 6 '12 at 10:36
Blank
Frank
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.86K Views
Ownership/Equity Distribution on Fashion Startup?

My Friend (a graphic designer/production manager) is a 33% partner in a manufacturing company with 2 investors (spilt 33% among the 3). Right now they are manufacturing for outside clothing...

asked Dec 24 '11 at 03:01
Blank
Stacey Jackson
6 points

10 Votes
6 Answers
6.23K Views
Joining a startup within its first year - salary/equity expectations?

I've recently been headhunted by a startup a year old which I am very interested in leaving my current position in a large established business in the same industry for. There are a number of...

asked Dec 25 '11 at 08:39
Blank
Scotland
51 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.8K Views
How do fixed costs scale with headcount? Can I use a rule of thumb ratio, say salary x 1.5?

I've heard that start-ups often write proforma budgets using a rule of thumb for figuring fixed costs (rent, utilities, fringe benefits, etc.) in other words costs that scale with headcount. The...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 13:13
Blank
Bruce
21 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.98K Views
Minimum wage laws and startups?

As a technical person, you see this a lot: "I've got this great idea to be the next $BIG_SITE. I need you to build a site for me - it should only take 3 months or so. Meanwhile, you can crash on...

asked Nov 15 '11 at 10:12
Blank
Ryan Wilcox
183 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Hourly Contracting Problem? Can Only Bill Limited Hours with Client

I am contracting (pay by hour) with a startup company building a web service platform (SaaS). I am a programmer. The company already has the prototype product, so my duty is to develop new features...

asked Nov 20 '11 at 18:32
Blank
Stan
111 points

-3 Votes
3 Answers
4.92K Views
How much should web programmers be paid in start ups?

I am working for a start up company in California. I am currently the only backend developer building a social network for this company. Before there was a team of 2 backend, 2 frontend and looking...

asked Oct 12 '11 at 16:53
Blank
Wojons Tech
101 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.94K Views
Considering an offer from a startup, two different compensation packages. Advice?

A bit of background: The two founders are guys I used to work with before our previous employer (a SaaS company) was aquired back in 2010. One of the founders was a senior sales exec and the other...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 00:46
Blank
Kronprinz
113 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
5.79K Views
salary and stock options in a startup for lead developer - advice needed

I got an offer from my friend in a startup company with $30K/year (take into account it's not in a "hot" spot like Silicon Valley or NY, but yeah, it's not high in any standards, and the job's in a...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 16:13
Blank
Anh Pham
109 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
When asking for funds from an investor, how do I decide my own salary?

I will be speaking with a potential investor soon. And I will be quitting my job to run this startup. I will also be the only one running the startup for at least the first 6 months. How do I...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 05:12
Blank
G Amboo Ka
108 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
8.67K Views
As a founder/shareholder/officer in a startup, do I pay myself as an employee(W2) or contractor(1099-MISC)?

I've looked around, but can't seem to find a straightforward answer for this. I am one of 4 founders in a start-up incorporated as a C-corp. 2 of us work full-time on the start-up, and so far have...

asked Sep 8 '11 at 14:18
Blank
Sid
106 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.52K Views
Deciding equity and profit sharing when co founder takes salary and works full time

Having read so much on how equity has to be split, i am still confused and am unable to come to any conclusion. I Would highly appreciate if you could fill in the gap as its making life difficult....

asked Sep 3 '11 at 20:24
Blank
User13119
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.13K Views
Compensation for early startup employee - what is the right balance?

If my company is profitable and able to pay early startup employee at the market salary (compare to MSFT, Google, Apple etc) , should I still need to pay for significant amount of option to...

asked Aug 8 '11 at 23:30
Blank
Howard
126 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Best deferred salary equation?

I'm the co-founder of a bootstrapping startup, and I have incentive to prefer short-term compensation, like deferred salary, instead of equity. Would it be reasonable to apply a multiplier to the...

asked Jul 18 '11 at 00:10
Blank
Ashton M.
83 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.63K Views
Employee Payment - From an Investor's Prospective

In the development stage of launching a start up. I am initially outsourcing the development as I am not located in a place where there is an abundance of programmers. The dev timeline is 6 weeks....

asked Jul 5 '11 at 12:41
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
Opening a European Subsidiary in the U.S

I am an American setting up a U.S. based subsidiary office for a small Eastern European company. What are the methods I can get paid assuming the company does not have capital for straight salary...

asked Jul 7 '11 at 00:12
Blank
Lefty
11 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.67K Views
Start up salary calculation for budgeting

I am trying to raise seed capital for my next venture and have a quick question regarding salary. There are two founders involved and both will work full-time, suppose if I mark the salary of each...

asked Jul 8 '11 at 01:26
Blank
User11074
39 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.83K Views
Leaving an awesome startup for Big Co. Am I crazy?

I love working for my current company. The work is challenging and fun, the people are amazing, I've been given lots of opportunity, and it's just an overall great work environment. The...

asked Jun 25 '11 at 12:28
Blank
Dragoon
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.32K Views
How to get hold of extra money if my company is LLC but elected to be taxed as S corp

I live in miami and am about to form an LLC. I have also decided that I would elect to have my LLC to be taxed as S corp. I will be the only employee for next 6 to 9 months. Since it is a S corp I...

asked Jul 1 '11 at 05:33
Blank
Nick Vanderbilt
11 points