Job Offer Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
What a 1.2% job offer really mean in a 4 people startup that got their first VC round?

I was offered a job at a very small startup. They have just started a year ago. 4 founders started the company together. I'm going to be their first hire. They offered a "pay the rent" salary and...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 05:51
Blank
Mo
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.57K Views
As a person who wants to work for a startup, what does it mean to have a "startup mindset"?

I figure out this should be the best place to ask the question but feel free to move it if think it's necessary. I was reading a job offer for a software developer position. Nothing really out of...

asked Oct 27 '13 at 20:32
Blank
User28461
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Trying to transition easily to my own company

I recently left a position at a firm where I was the only project manager,(small business) because I knew the owner was looking to retire soon, and I never felt I was recognized for all my efforts....

asked Jul 7 '13 at 06:44
Blank
User26917
16 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
3.44K Views
How to make a Startup job sound appealing?

My startup needs more software engineers, but I'm not sure how I should advertise this opportunity. Most job offerings promise working on a project for an International Company, and therefore a...

asked Jun 1 '13 at 03:03
Blank
Jani Kovacs
75 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
Series B Startup unwilling to disclose total shares

I have an offer from a series B startup that includes number of shares but no mention of value of each share or total shares (so I can compute a percentage). I asked and they were unwilling to...

asked Mar 14 '13 at 09:17
Blank
David Cowden
133 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.77K Views
Advice on startup offer I have received

I have received a offer from a local start-up and was presented an offer. I spent the last few days reading on this board looking for insight into the start-up financing world. The team is three...

asked Jan 27 '13 at 05:53
Blank
Jk Hancock
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
Formula to evaluate the earnings potential when joining a startup

I'm trying to come up with a rough formula to help decide if I should join a startup. I'd like to weigh my current pay vs joining a startup, taking into account opportunity costs and possible final...

asked Apr 14 '12 at 03:26
Blank
Nick P.
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.78K Views
Internship Offers Negotiable?

Are offers for interns negotiable? I'm sure this varies from company to company, but most startups don't have a formal intern program like much larger companies and probably far fewer applicants...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 08:21
Blank
Bhan
111 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
3.52K Views
Advice on startup offer, am I reading this right?

I recently met with a local start-up and was presented an offer. I spent the last few days reading on this board looking for insight into the start-up financing world. The start-up is technology...

asked Mar 14 '12 at 03:08
Blank
Patrick
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Evaluating a "co-founder" offer

I was presented with the following offer and while I'm waiting legal advice, I'm interested to know your opinions. I'm been offered a "co-founder" seat with a bit over 10% in stock options vested...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 15:59
Blank
Latecomer
11 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
5.76K Views
salary and stock options in a startup for lead developer - advice needed

I got an offer from my friend in a startup company with $30K/year (take into account it's not in a "hot" spot like Silicon Valley or NY, but yeah, it's not high in any standards, and the job's in a...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 16:13
Blank
Anh Pham
109 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.68K Views
How informal is too informal for a startup job posting

Do you think this is too informal for an opening to a job posting: We are in need of a super-motivated pirate/ninja/rockstar/(insert more web 2.0 buzz words) marketing/bizdev guru to join our...

asked Sep 6 '11 at 01:15
Blank
Nextgenneo
327 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3.13K Views
If a successful startup's CEO makes what I believe is a low offer for employment as CTO, how can I make an effective counteroffer?

Over the past ten months, I've been working with a startup in a technical capacity as a contractor. Prior to my joining, they had a rocky start and spun their wheels for a while with an outsourcing...

asked Aug 17 '11 at 15:38
Blank
Exr
21 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.89K Views
Starbucks Interview Process - Hiring Happiness?

As a big Starbucks fan and avid traveller I have noticed a trend while travelling whether its from Toronto to Texas to California... All Starbucks employees seem to have a very similar personality...

asked Feb 28 '11 at 12:14
Blank
Chain
313 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.87K Views
New job to bootstrap startup?

Context: I started a SAAS based platform for small and medium sized companies around a year back. To save some time I intentionally took this underpaid job close to my home. I have successfully...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 23:56
Blank
User8226
197 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.37K Views
How do I evaluate a job offer as a software engineer?

I got a job offer from a startup with about 70-80 engineers. I'm a fresh PhD. I'm getting about 0.01%. What percentage of stock options would be a fair price? They gave me a good base salary...

asked Oct 4 '10 at 11:03
Blank
Wei Hu
113 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.76K Views
"Sales job" for students/pupils.....where to advertise?

We have a new product, which is targeted at wearers of eyeglasses. We sell quite nicely via our website, but we figured it was much more efficient to approach wearers of eyeglasses directly....by...

asked Mar 28 '10 at 01:51
Blank
Philobus
116 points

12 Votes
8 Answers
3.2K Views
What do you think of this offer?

I was recently offered a part time position with a start up company. Basically I'll do about 10 hours of work per week for them. When I applied for the position, I didn't realize it was unpaid....

asked Feb 18 '10 at 18:39
Blank
Jane O
66 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.98K Views
When to say no to a job offer?

What if you were finishing your degree and you got an offer from a big company, such as McKinsey. What would you do? Would you say no thanks and work 100% on your idea, or work part-time on your...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 06:36
Blank
Tiago
333 points