Consulting Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
4.57K Views
Getting projects for a software development company

We have formed our company (that is, incorporation is in progress) this November (2012). Our company focuses on IT service management (ITSM) solutions and have very skilled professionals in the...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 00:19
Blank
Rajagopal S
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.96K Views
Dealing with clients that start consulting project later than scheduled?

I sometimes provide on-site ruby on rails consulting that clients book in advance.How do I deal with clients that commit to a time slot and when that time comes, they want to reschedule it for a...

asked Mar 12 '14 at 23:37
Blank
Marjorie Cowie
30 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
How to establish a network when just starting out in a service-based business?

I am venturing to start a consulting firm that does social media marketing and content creation. Starting with nothing except my knowledge about the field, how do I create a network and establish...

asked Jun 12 '14 at 18:14
Blank
Alexandra Guerrero
12 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.85K Views
Outreach to potential customers in order to pitch consulting services?

I'm just getting started with a consulting business and don't have any clients or personal network I can tap into to get the ball rolling.Is it ok to cold-reach potential customers that fit my...

asked Sep 18 '14 at 21:44
Blank
Lorenzo Washington
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.33K Views
Burnt-out startup founder: How can I find freelance clients?

I have been doing startups for the last 6 years and have had mostly failures, and a single success. I was able to sell the one startup that succeeded for about a year's salary that I would get...

asked Jun 15 '15 at 15:58
Blank
George Kopp
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Using open source projects to get more clients?

We are a new development consulting shop and figuring out how to get new clients. There is a lot of blog posts and talk about contributing to open source and it attracts potential clients.Has...

asked Jun 1 '14 at 15:25
Blank
Bette Miller
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.82K Views
Consulting firms: should you NOT target startups as clients?

Should web development consulting firms try to avoid targeting startups as clients? One of the key issues with startups is funding (most don't have any) and the ones that have raised a small seed,...

asked May 30 '14 at 13:14
Blank
Arthur Baxter
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
Strategies to "cold email" prospective clients?

I run a small mobile app consulting shop and filling the pipeline has become very hard. Even though the media talks about a shortage of good app developers and a high demand, I'm having a tough...

asked May 19 '14 at 20:26
Blank
Jonathan Pulley
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.69K Views
How to find your first consulting clients?

If you don't have a network which you can get referrals from, how do you find your first consulting clients for a one-person development firm?

asked May 12 '14 at 17:55
Blank
Robert Sheehan
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
How easy / hard is it to get consulting jobs for Ruby on Rails?

I work as a full time and want to supplement my income (and later do freelance or my own product full time down the line) by offering my ruby on rails skills as a consultant.How long does it...

asked Apr 4 '14 at 13:13
Blank
Robert Boyd
9 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
Can you do some consulting on the side if you raise money from angels?

I'm looking to raise money from angel investors and would be focused on the startup 110%.I do, however, have some prior commitments that I had made for some short term consulting.I will easily be...

asked Mar 21 '14 at 13:28
Blank
Shane Benningfield
65 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.83K Views
Lessons learned for new freelance photographers?

What are some things I should look out for when starting my freelance photography business? Pitfalls to avoid, etc.

asked Mar 11 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Tammy Garcia
30 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
How many clients have you gotten off social media for your consulting business?

I do social media consulting on the side and most of my clients come from networking face to face at events.I'm wondering how many people do other consultants get right off of the social networks...

asked Mar 11 '14 at 21:11
Blank
John Knipe
25 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
6.09K Views
Getting web design clients without prior experience or portfolio?

I just began consulting on the side as a UI/UX designer so don't have a portfolio of clients. The only thing I can put in there is work I've done while being employed for a company full time.How...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 23:32
Blank
Murray Favela
55 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.95K Views
How to protect my consultants from being poached by clients?

How would you deal with a client that is trying to poach one of your consultants (we run a ruby on rails consultancy)? My engineer was honest about it and told us upfront what was going on. It's...

asked Mar 1 '14 at 03:04
Blank
Lester Guarino
5 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Why do so many startups begin as a consultancy?

So many SaaS companies started out as consulting shops. With venture capital and angel funding readily available why do so many startups go the consulting way first?Are there any other benefits to...

asked Feb 21 '14 at 12:33
Blank
Warren Anderson
35 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
How to grow a consulting businesses?

At the moment I'm running a one-man web development consultancy.What are some ways to grow a successful consulting business?What is the best pricing structure to use (hourly, weekly, fixed)?

asked Feb 18 '14 at 08:50
Blank
Clarence Hayden
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Product vs Consulting business? Pros / Cons?

What are some pros or cons to pick consulting over building a product and vice versa? From reading Patio11's posts on HN, it looks like generating money is quickest with consulting, but long term...

asked Feb 11 '14 at 23:02
Blank
Dominick Thomas
56 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.79K Views
Partnering with a consulting company

I have an opportunity to build a software with a subscription model with my partner who is the domain expert. We found a consulting company who is willing to due the whole development and...

asked Oct 22 '13 at 16:14
Blank
Adam
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.37K Views
Reducing risks for all three parties when developing software on commission?

I am comissioned to set up and manage a team to develop a custom software component for a one-off event. My client is in talks with investors for securing prefinancing, and so he asked me to write...

asked Sep 29 '13 at 19:23
Blank
Feklee
148 points