Consulting Questions

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
How To Find Contracting Work

I have a full-time job and do some contracting work on the side but am looking to quit and do full-time contracting work. Historically, my contracting work has come through my personal network, but...

asked Aug 22 '11 at 23:47
Blank
Skaz
254 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.52K Views
What is the hourly rate of a freelance marketing consultant?

I am in a start up with very limited financial liquidity (less than $10,000) I reached a stage where my online store is taking shape, I have a stock of product now and enough to start a sales...

asked Aug 26 '11 at 12:11
Blank
Ramzi
21 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
How can I find a consultant for my Advertising startup?

I have a an idea for a startup that would be closely intertwined with the Advertising industry. I still need to do the necessary research to determine if the idea is viable and to identify all the...

asked Aug 17 '11 at 06:07
Blank
Beachrunnerjoe
319 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2K Views
Is hourly worth as a contractor the same as whatever you make at your day job?

I'm having a minor disagreement with a co-founder of a startup. At our day jobs at software companies, he's a full-time employee and makes $40 an hour. I'm an intern at a different company and...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 17:13
Blank
Numegil
111 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.06K Views
How much do high-end financial software consultancy firms (like lab49) charge per hour?

How much do high-end financial consultancy firms (like lab49) charge per hour for a c# developer in London? In GBP please. Obviously the consultancy has to paid the developer + cover their...

asked Jul 12 '11 at 06:06
Blank
Jamesgold
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
Offshore consulting from the view point of a US company

If I provide consulting/freelance services for a US company, does it matter for the US company whether I'm based in Germany, India or the Seychelles? I'm NOT interested in the reputations these...

asked Jul 10 '11 at 20:11
Blank
Znq
164 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4K Views
Proper Price to Charge Clients for Various SLAs

I am the co-owner of a small web development firm. We offer Ruby on Rails programming for our clients which mostly consist of small companies. We typically charge $80-$110 per hour. For 2/3 of our...

asked Jun 18 '11 at 10:10
Blank
Aac
85 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
Best to market yourself based on technology, industry or system type?

In starting a small software consultancy and figuring out how to market and present ourselves to the world... Does anyone have any experience as to whether it is best to market yourself based...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 15:48
Blank
Terry B
121 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
How can I build up a new McKinsey in a niche field?

I would like to build a new consulting company like McKinsey. I do have a significant competitive advantage, (based on software) in a niche field, and now I need advice on how to start creating a...

asked May 27 '11 at 05:58
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
If the agreement states IP is owned by the Consultant, is there any room for disagreement?

I am in the process to send a service agreement to my clients. I am stating that Intellectual Property related to all promotional material created while in the service agreement by my company will...

asked May 31 '11 at 06:02
Blank
Geo
268 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
How do I increase my clients' ownership for ther own change orders?

We are working on a complex online sales and marketing tool (website with CRM integration) We have laid it out as several small "baby step" projects. Each step needs approval and "sign-off" before...

asked May 16 '11 at 11:33
Blank
Joseph Barisonzi
12,141 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
Does it make sense for a SaaS company to also do consulting work?

As a SaaS company we have an entire team in place to do web and application development. Effectively, we have one client: ourselves. Would it make sense for us to take on consulting clients as an...

asked May 16 '11 at 12:27
Blank
Kenneth Vogt
2,917 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
New Project Management startup business

What's the best way to market startup project management/facilities consulting company for homeowners, churches and businesses?

asked May 17 '11 at 23:49
Blank
Mc Cants
16 points

9 Votes
9 Answers
7.55K Views
Should I pursue someone who stole my idea?

I consult to companies. I specialize in problem resolution, project management, research and occasionally, if there's a call for it, development. Recently, I was contacted by a development manager...

asked May 7 '11 at 07:39
Blank
Traveling Tech Guy
155 points

12 Votes
2 Answers
2.77K Views
Sales pipelines. Should you only have 1 in a B2B software development company?

So you understand our scope : We are a custom software development company who have 2 primary markets Mid sized companies who have ongoing internal needs for...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 15:46
Blank
Robin Vessey
8,394 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
5K Views
Is this teired commission schedule for referrals fair?

I'm an independent software consultant who is looking for referrals. I've paid for referrals before and have noticed that sometimes I was happy with the price and sometimes I was not. For example,...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 06:39
Blank
Timid Developer
30 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
What is a fair amount to pay for consulting referrals?

I'm an independent software consultant who is looking for referrals. I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I should pay for them and earlier today posted this question about a teired commision...

asked Apr 22 '11 at 13:46
Blank
Timid Developer
30 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
What companies will need products based on Android tablets, in-app payments, NFC?

I am looking to understand how to find companies which might be interested in my consulting / programming services. Of course I don't want to compete with existing small companies or freelancers....

asked Apr 5 '11 at 06:21
Blank
Greg Dan
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.54K Views
Micro Company started, do they need to incorporate, or there is a better way?

If one individual has been delivering services to other corporations. So far they have been paying the individual to his name "John Doe". The individual now is hiring sub-contractors, to do other...

asked Mar 26 '11 at 11:01
Blank
Geo
268 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Consulting while bootstrapping. How to organise company?

I'm a developer who has just sorted out part time consultancy work which I would like to use to maintain myself while bootstrapping a SAAS startup as a solo (for now) founder. Given that I'd like...

asked Mar 18 '11 at 03:28
Blank
Macca
131 points