Products Questions

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Is it bad to consider a profit margin on the first year of a launch?

I am building my product catalog with prices for my print company but I realized that I cannot accurately calculate my profit margin because I have no net sales or revenue yet. So I was curious to...

asked Jun 5 '13 at 04:25
Blank
Matt 2.0
188 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
build a product but no engineer experience?

I have an idea how I want my new product to look and really good market gap. I can do a quick design in Google Sketchup and I will send my design to someone who can make it in a professional form...

asked Jun 7 '13 at 21:20
Blank
I'll Be Back
103 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.7K Views
When is it right to split websites to sub-websites?

I'm wondering. My question is a bit odd - StackExchange Vs. Amazon. StackExchange is a mega website that revolves around Q&A. For some reason they chose to make a separate website for each...

asked Feb 21 '13 at 03:24
Blank
And Py
15 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.93K Views
What regulations are there for small appliances in the US?

I have been lately trying to find different products to create to make money. I have been trying to find out what regulations are there on small appliances for the kitchen (coffee makers and...

asked Feb 10 '13 at 08:46
Blank
Annonomus Person
204 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
Have a great product management process overview?

I'm mentoring a former colleague who wants to improve her product management expertise and skills. She's in the very early planning stages at her company on a new product concept. I'd like to give...

asked Jan 26 '13 at 01:19
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.9K Views
Commercial product name similar to open source product name

I have a commercial software product that will be launching soon. It has a very similar name to a piece of open source software in a non-English speaking country. The only difference is a...

asked Jan 2 '13 at 08:38
Blank
Firstresponder
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
How do you ensure product quality is met when outsourcing development?

What terms can be written into an agreement to make sure that a product developed with an outside company meets quality standards such as uptime, speed, etc?

asked Dec 5 '12 at 00:50
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
When does inspiration become theft?

When is it taking inspiration from a competitor, and when is it theft? I'd like to know the general questions to ask myself when reviewing competing products in creation of my own. (I'd be...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 07:41
Blank
Mirov
384 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
Product Positioning-Large or Small customer focus

We are a software startup and trying to solve a unique problem, which is applicable for both small and large organizations. Is there any recommendation in positioning the product for smaller or...

asked Aug 10 '12 at 04:27
Blank
User8226
197 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.63K Views
How much is my code/product worth?

I wrote two Apps and want to know how much they are worth. Background: for one I am looking for an investor / somebody who wants to buy it. For the second one I am just interested to know the price...

asked Jun 16 '12 at 17:48
Blank
Christian
3,590 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.04K Views
Does creatively naming a product make it look inferior?

I have developed a product and did a basic search for domain names, and to get the domain name I want I will need to more creatively name my product. Does this creative naming turn off some...

asked Jun 23 '12 at 00:51
Blank
Dkroy
130 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Is creating a mobile application actually a good business model

Lots of people I know think that their idea for an iPhone app is a great business idea, and could make them rich. I think it's a nightmare, akin to two-level pyramid scheme that generates revenue...

asked Jun 25 '12 at 10:19
Blank
Mc Garnagle
121 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
6.29K Views
Channel Partners : How to calculate their Cut/Commission

We are developing product which is SAAS based and is expected to launch by August 12. I am in the process of finding Channel partners/*.Partners, who would help me sell the product in respective...

asked May 12 '12 at 13:26
Blank
Ameya Phadke
56 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.63K Views
Acquiring a customizable/generic product

I am looking at modifying a wireless scale that can transmit its gathered information wirelessly. There are plenty of patented products out there that do this, I am looking for a 'blank template'...

asked May 17 '12 at 01:41
Blank
Bungdaddy
103 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Singleboard/SOC based products and IP laws for a small company

I run a small business in custom software development in Canada, and I think it has gotten to the point where I can release my own product. My question has to do with using existing...

asked May 8 '12 at 03:03
Blank
Super Tron
108 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.32K Views
Can I sell an open source project to my client?

i have one open source project, i want to sell this to my client by making some modification in the existing project. Is it good to sell or is it permissible to sell the open source project to...

asked Apr 19 '12 at 14:33
Blank
Sam
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.28K Views
Release duplicate versions of SAAS product?

I have an SAAS product that competes with a number of others. I thought of an idea to create a duplicate product, that does exactly the same thing but with a different name and look-and-feel (the...

asked Apr 12 '12 at 13:46
Blank
Mick Aus
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.94K Views
How should you approach manufacturers when looking to source products for a new business?

I am planning a new E-commerce business and will be selling products that are only available from specific manufacturers. How should I approach these manufacturers when I currently have no live...

asked Mar 29 '12 at 22:48
Blank
User20236
133 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.88K Views
using consulting experience to create a new product

I provided consultancy to a client to develop a product. Its been a couple of years now and I think there is a market to build that product for other clients. My question is how does it work. Is it...

asked Mar 6 '12 at 07:52
Blank
User16779
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Efficiency of demand prediction software

I have an activity, which is very simple in conceptual sense: Exploration of possible demand and extraction of interesting products. Product is considered "interesting", if it seems to be...

asked Feb 21 '12 at 04:58
Blank
Mixo123
1 point