Licensing Questions

12 Votes
9 Answers
6.41K Views
Software Licensing/Copy Protection - DIY or Buy?

As an ISV/software publisher, would you produce your own licensing/copy protection solution, or would you buy into a professional solution? Which route would you choose and why?

asked Jun 8 '10 at 18:59
Blank
Clare
61 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.48K Views
Using commercial music fragment as opening of a podcast

I would like to use some commercial music for the opening of a podcast series. Can I use it without licensing the usage if I use a short fragment? If at all possible, how short? I once read...

asked Feb 25 '10 at 20:25
Blank
Pietro Polsinelli
125 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
Licensing inactive units

In an HRIS (human resources) application there are active and inactive employees - the inactive need to be kept for legal reasons but also for application effectiveness as employee id is used as a...

asked Sep 16 '13 at 19:35
Blank
Bhttoan
735 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
How do you effectively market developer products (Licensing tool for .NET)?

I have a .net licensing tool that I have created that is currently being used by many developers and I am at a point to start advertising it for a larger audience. How do you effectively market a...

asked Sep 17 '13 at 11:41
Blank
Smt
6 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.4K Views
Limiting liability of individual/small startup when selling software

If I make and sell some software (online if that matters), and say that software ends up causing some unexpected behavior (let's go extreme and say it deletes all data on the hard drive!). Am I...

asked Mar 22 '13 at 07:09
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.73K Views
Determining Royalty Rate and Length on High-Tech Products

I was wondering if someone can give me methodologies, strategies, and references for answering this question, as I have to develop a revenue model.

asked Feb 13 '13 at 03:46
Blank
Parseltongue
120 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
Does open content affect the licensing of closed software that uses it

Does content licensed under open licenses such as the Creative Commons Share-Alike or the GNU free documentation license affect in anyway software that uses such open content. The core issue is:...

asked Sep 4 '12 at 15:51
Blank
Basel Shishani
106 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.64K Views
How have University IP licensing terms for tech startups changed since Google licensed PageRank from Stanford?

What were the details of the IP licensing agreement between Google and Stanford for PageRank? For example, what PERCENTAGE equity and royalty rate did Google give to Stanford? Were there...

asked Sep 13 '12 at 07:53
Blank
Cklin
21 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
Creating a business from a customized application solution?

I have been working on a medium sized web application for a large client, on site, for 3 years. I work as a contractor on the project, handling most of the coding, but the application itself and...

asked Jul 19 '12 at 02:01
Blank
User357320
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Singleboard/SOC based products and IP laws for a small company

I run a small business in custom software development in Canada, and I think it has gotten to the point where I can release my own product. My question has to do with using existing...

asked May 8 '12 at 03:03
Blank
Super Tron
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
best way to split/license domain name

i currently own a domain name in the name of an LLC. ideally, we'd like to license subdomains (e.g., productA.example.com, productB.example.com) to developers to develop applications that generally...

asked Mar 28 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Aosik
103 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.57K Views
How should I leave a startup. I own all their source code

I asked a question recently here, discussing options for what to do in my current situation. The other co-founders let me know they no longer think I deserve 20%, and I decided it was the last...

asked Mar 29 '12 at 12:56
Blank
Phil
210 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.64K Views
How do I decide on licensing terms for my popular app?

I wrote a sudoku application and put it in the chrome app store. It is quite popular. I have received serious requests from media companies asking to include my application as part of their mobile...

asked Mar 4 '12 at 03:51
Blank
Hvgotcodes
171 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
My webmaster created our website and is now charging me a licensing fee

My webmaster signed an agreement saying that all work done on the website is owned by our company. He now thinks that he is being payed unfairly and wants the website to be taken down. He says...

asked Feb 14 '12 at 11:11
Blank
Kyle Berkley
31 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
4.12K Views
Help me with software licensing models?

I have developed a portable C++ software library. I would like to discuss how to license that software (license models). Consider that the library price would be < 5.000 EUR and that it can be...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 05:06
Blank
Lukeluke
21 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.67K Views
Changing Licensing model for a Software Framework to more permissive

I'm author of the "Agile Toolkit " Framework. Currently it's available under dual license Affero GPL - any use, personal or commercial Permissive license for $130/domain Permissive license for...

asked Oct 24 '11 at 06:15
Blank
Romaninsh
253 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.98K Views
SaaS vs local distribution and GPL implications

Let's say our theoretical company has a SaaS product for which we charge $xx per month. The product is entirely web based and the backend includes GPL code. As I understand it, since our product...

asked Oct 3 '11 at 06:06
Blank
Mr. Schwabe
147 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Incorporating somebody else's project in my own

Let me take a general example to demonstrate my dilemma. Say I am making a web-based project (which I am). Now I want to use some code that is used some other place already. Say I want to...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 18:29
Blank
Kraken
133 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
8.13K Views
I want an effective solution to prevent piracy and manage licensing of my java desktop application

I am developing software that will be useful during search engine optimisation of a website. This software is a desktop java application. I have heard that (specifically) Java applications can...

asked Aug 20 '11 at 00:16
Blank
User893664
18 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
8.65K Views
How to price a White Labeled or CoBranded Web App?

I run a startup web app that is an informational resource as well as marketplace. The marketplace side has been slow to ramp up, so revenue is minimal. Recently, I've been contacted by several...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 08:40
Blank
Mister Eee
28 points