Liability Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.65K Views
Is product liability insurance needed if we're loading new software onto a tablet and selling it?

The advice I have found so far indicates that you need product liability insurance if you "make a change" to a product (even if you are not the original manufacturer). Is adding software is a...

asked Jul 11 '14 at 16:17
Blank
User34062
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.91K Views
What is the liability risk for a FREE SAAS service? What are the risks of launching a free SAAS without Incorporating(sole prop)?

I have developed a SAAS application that I would like to launch as a free service. Will a free offering have lesser/zero liability vs a paid one? I find the thought of incorporation with all the...

asked Dec 7 '13 at 06:49
Blank
Jarnal
6 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
2.89K Views
Do infographics need to have a disclaimer?

I would like to create some infographics to publish them on Pinterest, twitter and the blog on my website. As my infographic will contain some public available financial data about companies listed...

asked Jul 21 '13 at 21:52
Blank
Alex R
99 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.38K Views
Limiting liability of individual/small startup when selling software

If I make and sell some software (online if that matters), and say that software ends up causing some unexpected behavior (let's go extreme and say it deletes all data on the hard drive!). Am I...

asked Mar 22 '13 at 07:09
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.62K Views
Limiting personal liability

I have been working (solo) on a few side web projects for the past several months. My name can be found attached (via WhoIs) to the domains I've purchased and this got me to thinking about worst...

asked Feb 23 '13 at 05:23
Blank
Yamori
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
Ownership without investment. Help

I started work at a company a few months back. I was brought in to head up a new division in the company. That division is separating as it's own LLC. I won't be investing any money into the new...

asked Feb 2 '13 at 02:43
Blank
Jane
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Does every account (Paypal, Mailchimp etc.) need to be in the Corporation's name, to make that account belong to the Corp?

Q1. Does every account (PayPal,Sendgrid,Heroku,AWS,Mailchimp) need to be in a company's name to make the company liable for anything that might go wrong, not the founders (to a reasonable degree of...

asked Jul 22 '12 at 16:41
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.8K Views
How do I defer Liability to people we certify under us?

My business is going to be group fitness with in all ready established gyms. We will certify instructors through our company to run classes with in gyms. The thing we are trying to figure out is...

asked Jun 20 '12 at 11:30
Blank
Kerry Sullivan
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Does uk limited company (ltd) status provide limited liability oversea's?

I recently researched how much professional indemnity insurance would cost for a UK sole trader completing computing contracts overseas (specifically USA). Since the contracts fall under US law the...

asked Apr 18 '12 at 19:59
Blank
Clockwork Ant
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
Why is it that after removing any liability, warranties have expressions like "but in any case not more than $1.50"?

If the non-liability works – it works. If not – why would the second part work?

asked Apr 18 '12 at 22:37
Blank
Startup1
90 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Does an LLC provide equal liability protection as an S or C corp?

My early stage startup is at the point where we need to form a corporate entity. I've read a lot on the web and here about the advantages and disadvantages of the LLC vs C-Corp (and the tax...

asked Jan 12 '12 at 02:27
Blank
Paul Cezanne
649 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
Liabilities as SAAS should consider

I'm considering registering a business that I am bootstrapping. At this point I am concerned about keeping costs down. The cheapest option in my state is to register a Sole Proprietorship. The next...

asked Dec 14 '11 at 02:42
Blank
Mike Nereson
411 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.49K Views
What is the default liability without a contract or clause?

Was just curious about this. With Intellectual Property, if there is no contract and you are a contractor, all the work you create is owned by the creator by default. How does liability work...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 09:51
Blank
Roger
52 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
Liability Release in ToS?

I own a small business IT consulting firm, and on the web site we have our ToS listed. In our ToS is the following line: [Business Name], or anyone working at the request of [Business Name], may...

asked Oct 29 '11 at 15:44
Blank
Kevin Soviero
180 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
What type of business to form to allow 1 person (founder) total control with limited or no liability?

What's the best way to setup a company whereby the founder always has control and the final word no matter how many partners he brings in? What are the disadvantages of the various setups?

asked Jul 29 '11 at 15:09
Blank
Tom Jones
24 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.54K Views
Being liable as a sole proprietorship VS director at a corporation

I am considering starting presales of a product. Since money may be coming in I wanted a business bank account so if I am ever sued for any reason I'll only lose what I put in the business and not...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 20:18
Blank
Stu R
66 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
How do I protect myself when offering software and training?

I plan to sell software and add "the software comes with no warranty and should not be held liable for loss of data" and etc. I also plan to offer on-site training for the software. 'Support' will...

asked Apr 12 '11 at 11:10
Blank
Stu R
66 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
2.8K Views
Prospective partner refuses to sign no-compete as person

After much search, it seemed that I have found a suitable partner for my IP based startup. Things seemed to have progressed well until I asked him to sign a no-compete agreement as part of the...

asked Mar 21 '11 at 03:55
Blank
Glen
31 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.73K Views
Should I establish an S-Corp or is Liability Insurance enough to Protect myself from Personal Liability?

I'm starting a small business and I'm concerned about personal liability. I like the idea of a corporation providing some protection, but I'm uncomfortable with the notion that the corporate veil...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 15:23
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.68K Views
How do I determine how much Liability Insurance I need?

We're starting a small business that will provide services locally. How do I determine what type of and how much Liability Insurance I need?

asked Jan 29 '11 at 07:52
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points