Licensing Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
18.7K Views
Sale of licenses (license key) for Air apps

How (what services use) to better organize the protection, payments, sending license keys for shareware Air applications?

asked Apr 7 '11 at 05:42
Blank
Astraport
186 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
wrote software that someone wants to use/license

I wrote a sudoku game and was contacted by a media company that is interested in using the application within an ipad application they are developing. I don't know how that would work since the...

asked Mar 24 '11 at 04:00
Blank
Hvgotcodes
171 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
Computing Valuation of Custom Software

I've recently been approached by a potential partner to buy a piece of custom software that I have written, and I'm struggling with a way to value the software. They would like to buy the source...

asked Mar 5 '11 at 10:11
Blank
Matthew Dorian
292 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.31K Views
Can anyone share experiences in licensing content?

I have two companies that have interest in licensing my business's content (training materials). I want to offer exclusive and non-exclusive pricing options, maintenance fees (for annual updates),...

asked Jan 31 '11 at 07:22
Blank
User6935
36 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.88K Views
Does someone violate copyright laws when quoting song lyrics?

I know there are tons of sites out there that list song lyrics that are surrounded with advertisements and pop up ads. I don't imagine the song writers had this in mind when they were writing their...

asked Feb 6 '11 at 07:20
Blank
Scott
468 points

13 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
"What if you get hit by a bus?"

I'm negotiating a B2B licensing deal for some technology. I typically license it as a managed service, and don't share code, because I want to protect trade secrets. A new potential client is...

asked Dec 3 '10 at 12:21
Blank
John
96 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
When should I convert my trial software into full licenses?

At what point should I stop using "trial" software and start paying for full licensing? If I'm making money using a program, shouldn't I pay for it?

asked Nov 18 '10 at 04:13
Blank
Moshe
409 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
Build or Buy? Shopping cart lite that integrates with license software?

So I’m finishing up on my project, a real-time dictionary that works while you type in anything. I’m now getting to where I’m thinking through the integrating a license key to the buying of the...

asked Jun 12 '10 at 01:15
Blank
John Bogrand
2,210 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
Fair revenue share for my idea?

I've got a new business idea, for which I have already written a business plan, a feature description, a communication plan and have 2 testsites with "feature level 0" up and running based on...

asked Apr 1 '10 at 06:43
Blank
User2387
111 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
2.36K Views
Best source for restriction free photos

I need help finding images with the right licensing for my application. I need to find images with a license that will allow me to: Have the users of my web application change the stock photo...

asked Feb 23 '10 at 13:42
Blank
Jon Kragh
185 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
4.24K Views
Business selling MP3 downloads - License necessary?

A few friends and I are looking at starting a sideline business selling mp3 versions of various creative commons works (can't get into too many more details). We've done the legwork on the legal...

asked Feb 4 '10 at 01:41
Blank
Tommy Maddox
156 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.79K Views
What's a great business development / licensing pitch outline?

So you are about to start contacting companies about licensing your product/technology. What would be the general elements of the presentation deck? I know what I've done in the past but am...

asked Feb 9 '10 at 07:03
Blank
Chris
4,214 points