Data Questions

1 Votes
0 Answers
1.17K Views
Where do companies like WhatRunsWhere get their data?

I'm looking to build something similar for our in-house marketing campaigns and having a tough time figuring out how they do it.Basically, companies like WhatRunsWhere, AdBeat, and MixRank let you...

asked Jul 2 '14 at 01:25
Blank
Alicia Karg
9 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Is there an effective process or system for organizing data and ideas that can become a tangible product?

I want to start a niche site based on educating people. I started with this idea and has been working on it for quite sometime (several months), I was reading more books, articles and gathered more...

asked Jul 9 '14 at 17:11
Blank
Crane
1 point

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.52K Views
How do classified ad sites get their initial content?

I've seen "new" classified ad sites have a bunch of listings when they launch. It looks like lots of ads has been posted already although the website was just launched.Same is true with dating...

asked Jun 2 '15 at 05:13
Blank
Michelle
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
How to overcome this business fear?

I am a techie, now creating few amazing text extraction tech(yes, few of them are world's first related to web data). I am full time into it, and still I do not have any problem going opensource if...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 21:26
Blank
Akshayb
116 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Where to find data to determine talent pool in a location

Good evening I'm part of a startup thats looking to move to an area with a decent talent pool of IT professionals, and after surfing the morass that is Stats Canada, I wonder if anyone would know...

asked Sep 21 '12 at 12:48
Blank
Canadiancreed
136 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
New Site ... How do I get New Members?

I remember awhile back watching a video where either David Heinemeier or Kevin Rose started about how crucial it is to start with live data for a new web app. Where's the best place to purchase up...

asked Aug 31 '12 at 20:44
Blank
Dikaio
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
Analyse custom data: Business Intelligence Tools vs Programming Custom Tool

I wanted to know what you would recommend for analyzing data in this scenario: We have a web application that requires users to register etc in order to use it. For our further decisions on what...

asked Apr 16 '12 at 22:57
Blank
Luksurious
3 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Efficiency of demand prediction software

I have an activity, which is very simple in conceptual sense: Exploration of possible demand and extraction of interesting products. Product is considered "interesting", if it seems to be...

asked Feb 21 '12 at 04:58
Blank
Mixo123
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
News Archives for commercial use

I am looking to mine the data from older news articles for my startup. One way i can think of is to crawl financial websites and extract the information i need. It can be a hard and also not...

asked Dec 24 '11 at 02:45
Blank
Shyam Maddali
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
There are so many things to measure -- what's the best way to keep track of it all?

As a startup, we have to measure web analytics, funnel metrics, conversions, competition trackers, ROI on campaigns, etc. There's lots to keep track of and a lot of different software (google...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 05:30
Blank
Kate G
19 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
Data aggregation from hundreds of different websites into one

what would the process be for aggregating data from hundreds of websites into a master database? I would then do calculations on the master data base, then resell. Thank you.

asked Nov 24 '11 at 08:42
Blank
Tony Brattle
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
Using mock data until real users show up

I just beta launched my website and right now there is only one user signed up for my service (it's only been a day and I'm not marketing it yet). It is highly data driven so without much context,...

asked Oct 20 '11 at 01:11
Blank
Jared
31 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.07K Views
Where to find Market Data?

Is there a particular place with, or a particular technique to use for finding different kinds of market data? For instance, I want to look up what research has been done on internal...

asked Aug 11 '11 at 20:52
Blank
Roy Dictus
343 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Building a business off of data

I have a collection of tools that collect data. I have heard of businesses selling data. I would like to be able to do something like this. However, I have no idea what a business model around data...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 03:27
Blank
User8311
120 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
Do you have a "data-mining" guy?

Right now I'm in the process of bootstrapping a start-up, so I and my co-founder are working pretty long hours. My only source of new information seems to be Hacker News at the moment, but...

asked Jul 30 '11 at 18:54
Blank
Philip K
113 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Tapping into somebody else's product data

I have a client who got 3rd party software(3PS). I wrote module that reads data from their database and does reporting, etc. Question #1:Is that legal to read THEIR data from 3rd party...

asked Jun 9 '11 at 01:57
Blank
Katit
276 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.02K Views
Collect usage metrics of software

What would be the best way to collect usage metrics of a SaaS software? I want to collect something like logins, clicks and time spent in my software. Are there existing services out there that...

asked May 24 '11 at 18:42
Blank
Sebastian Hoitz
191 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
Value of anonymized user trend data

I was wondering how to find out how much the user data is worth for a database similar to Foursquare's? I'm not looking to sell personal user information or email addresses, but more along the...

asked May 5 '11 at 18:08
Blank
Janan Rajeevikaran
76 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
Legal issues around selling anonymised data?

I'm thinking of starting a business. It would be a website that would act much like a social-bookmarking site. It would be funded by selling data about websites and this data would be collected...

asked Mar 11 '11 at 18:13
Blank
Dan Waterworth
118 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.29K Views
Hotel booking data

Where do the many hotel booking websites get their hotel data? ie. # of free rooms within certain dates, price per night, etc. Is it possible to get the data somewhere and handle booking myself,...

asked Dec 21 '10 at 09:32
Blank
Ben
118 points