Privacy Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.02K Views
Storing health data

I am working on a bootstrapped side project aimed at digital nomads that lets you input your personal blood test data and track results over time, across countries.My business entity is based in...

asked Mar 28 '19 at 18:37
Blank
Philip Seifi
132 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
Legal issues of a user-pic based app?

I'm planning on creating a mobile app based upon the idea of allowing users to take self-portraits and having it shared in a dynamic public gallery (for say, dating purposes, or whatnot). Let's...

asked Jan 22 '13 at 02:35
Blank
Aldrich
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Rules and laws on sharing/using customer emails

I'm wondering if there are any specific regulations and laws regarding the use of customer email addresses for companies (more specifically in my case, CA-based corporations). For example, say I...

asked Dec 13 '12 at 20:34
Blank
Glitch
156 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.35K Views
Risks of a website that lets users meet up?

I'm looking into creating a website which would be based on users meeting up (nope, not another dating site!). The obvious worry here is users meeting crazy people and bad things happening. Is...

asked Mar 25 '12 at 06:55
Blank
Mike Lentini
108 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
Canadian Hosting issue

My company is Canadian and I'm planning to purchase a VPS account for my business with a Dallas,TX based company. But I'm being told by a friend that this may be a problem for the following...

asked Mar 15 '12 at 05:01
Blank
Ray
215 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
4.97K Views
How to specify that you are not going to share information with third party in Terms of Service

I'm running a site where users generate their data and store it. I do not share it or plan to share it ever with 3rd party. How do you specify that the site is not going to share information with...

asked Jan 26 '12 at 13:43
Blank
Dev.E.Loper
113 points

9 Votes
6 Answers
6.05K Views
Legal or Ethical Responsibility to Safely Store Passwords

I'm working as a technical advisor to a start-up company. The company licenses its product (a web and mobile application) to large groups of people who then use it for a relatively short period of...

asked Nov 23 '11 at 23:40
Blank
Yuck
257 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
3.71K Views
How “private” should a job interview be?

This is the issue of privacy -- and is concerned with keeping everything "open" to an interviewee beforehand. If you're being "watched" during the interview (through a camera) by other people in a...

asked Aug 3 '11 at 19:53
Blank
Greengit
134 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.74K Views
What is the process to transfer real estate you already own into a newly formed LLC?

I already own several investment properties. However I purchased them in my own name for various financing reasons as the time. Now I would like to move them into LLC's, most likely one for each...

asked Jun 30 '11 at 00:43
Blank
Opensourcechris
154 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.53K Views
Saas - Terms of use, privacy policy

We're getting closer to launching our e-commerce platform, that will be hosted on our dedicated servers, provided by a well known hosting company. I suppose it's a good idea to have us covered...

asked Mar 16 '11 at 16:34
Blank
Martin Hn
234 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
What are best practices for privacy at a web startup?

Beyond the obvious steps -- having a privacy policy, encrypting stored data, supporting https logins and Tor -- what are other best practices for a web startup that wants to do privacy right?

asked Feb 5 '11 at 00:43
Blank
Jon Pincus
52 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3.65K Views
Do terms of service and privacy policy need to be drafted by a lawyer?

I am trying to do a startup web app and I need a terms of service and privacy policy. Is there any way to do it without a lawyer? Why I ask is because I don't have that much money.

asked Nov 30 '10 at 09:46
Blank
Chromedude
202 points

13 Votes
5 Answers
8.76K Views
Is it okay to plagiarize another website's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy?

Let's say you find another website with very similar content and operations. Is it okay to copy their Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, tweaking it to fit your needs?

asked Sep 22 '10 at 07:49
Blank
Superjoe30
176 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Recommendations for a rating/review website

I'm building a web platform to allow users rate/review a niche group of organizations and consultants. I would love to blog about the development process and design decisions. Should I keep my...

asked Feb 24 '10 at 08:26
Blank
Boolean
388 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
Is there such a thing as Privacy Insurance (for storing SSN/EINs)?

Part of my service includes storing social security numbers (SSNs) and employer identification numbers (EINs). I went through the proper protocol of setting up a separate server to store them,...

asked Feb 16 '10 at 13:37
Blank
Yasmine
206 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.22K Views
Marketing, Privacy and Being Good

What do you think about drawing the line between privacy and marketing? For example we're sending e-mail to our mail-list, shall we keep track of their clicks in the e-mail? Personally I hate this...

asked Jan 5 '10 at 00:26
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points