Products Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Isn't there a standard for categorizing products and services?

I am building a database of products (and services) and need to put similar items in the same category. That's got to be a common need, and I don't want to recreate the wheel. For example, a...

asked Mar 6 '11 at 08:57
Blank
C. Scott
85 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
Features to include in a lan chat application

I am working on a project which is basically a Notification System or in other words sort of Lan Instant Messenger for mid-size companies, in which a person can update the status of the project...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 01:34
Blank
Ahmed
106 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
8.16K Views
How can some companies offer low shipping rates using FedEx?

There are companies that are able to ship a mattress with a shipping charge of $5. There are many, like Amazon, that are able to offer free shipping. Logic tells me that you achieve this by...

asked Feb 6 '11 at 04:50
Blank
Geo
268 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Business brand vs Product brand

I'm starting out building my business and plan on only ever having one product. I'm wanting input on the branding of my business and of my product. I see two ways forward. One I brand my business...

asked Jan 8 '11 at 05:27
Blank
Supermighty
11 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.37K Views
commercial applications for visual search?

This is a video of the google goggles app which does a good job of explaining what the current state of the art in visual search can do. its also being applied to searching patents, product...

asked Dec 17 '10 at 09:45
Blank
Ben
522 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Where and with whom can I do product development?

Assuming I have an idea for an iPhone Gadget like this: Griffin-Simplifi-iPhone-Reader-Aluminum I am a creative person or a designer. If I want to realize this product to whom do I have to go, to...

asked Dec 19 '10 at 00:33
Blank
Erik
101 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.64K Views
Testing a product before making it?

What do You call testing a product before it is made with a 'fake' website, that measures how many people actually click on the 'buy' button?

asked Dec 27 '10 at 18:06
Blank
Domas Monkus
1 point

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.21K Views
Improvement of existing product

So I have (what I think) is a good improvement for an existing pet product that I use daily. There are also many people who use the same product that I think would like the modification I've...

asked Nov 7 '10 at 10:08
Blank
Sblackwell
21 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
I have a new idea for a hardware product, how do I get started?

I have a new idea for a hardware product. Unfortunately, I only have experience with software and would only be able to develop the software side of the product. I have no idea where I would start....

asked Oct 24 '10 at 07:52
Blank
Senseful
111 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.38K Views
Starting New School Revenue Streams

Hey guys, it's me again. As was to be expected, I've run into funding problems with Idea School. The quality teachers I'm looking for are worth about $50-60K per year. Now, of course, they...

asked Aug 23 '10 at 04:26
Blank
Ryan Chatterton
921 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Best time to launch my software?

Our team has been developing a product which we initially wanted to release in early November. Although we are nearing the final stages, private beta testing is continuing to reveal new and...

asked Sep 3 '10 at 12:58
Blank
Tanvir Chowdhury
165 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.3K Views
Outsourcing "product development" for Tech startups

what are the most crucial steps to be taken by a new tech startup when outsourcing major part of the tech to IT firms or outsourcing "product development" eg new social media website project?

asked Sep 8 '10 at 02:25
Blank
Francis Eager
38 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.9K Views
How to acquire new customers/startups?

I’m given a task to expand our Product Engineering services to US, UK & EMEA markets and identify new customers/startups who would like to build new products/software. We do have proven track...

asked Jul 2 '10 at 03:11
Blank
Pavan M
31 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.61K Views
Am I Infringing on their trademark?

I have a software program launching in approx three months. Yesterday I found out that the desired name of my software is very similar to another company's software product. Although the products...

asked Jul 11 '10 at 08:20
Blank
Tanvir Chowdhury
165 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
How do you know your product or service is market ready?

Is there a checklist or some stats that anyone has used that gives a comfort level to getting to a minimum valid product? I'm a lone startup ISV and find that I need to take extra effort to...

asked Jun 5 '10 at 00:42
Blank
John Bogrand
2,210 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.09K Views
Calculating loaded labor cost for ROI?

I'm curious if any of you calculate 'loaded' labor costs for use in ROI calculations, and what multiplier you use vs the salary. The 'loaded labor' cost attempts to reflect the true cost of a...

asked Apr 27 '10 at 01:28
Blank
Corry
111 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.64K Views
How do you build a customer base before you have a product?

How can you build a customer base for your product when all you have is an idea (promise of value)? I'm thinking about getting my product idea to a couple of forums to engage people in it's design...

asked May 11 '10 at 01:24
Blank
Raed
101 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
How to attract users for a physical product?

This probably goes along with how to attract customers to a website. But im just curious if anyone knows how to market a product thats available in the physical world and not some web service...

asked Mar 10 '10 at 19:12
Blank
Vnchopra
418 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
Rich Internet Applications - your product strategy

Could someone share your experiences if you have created a rich internet application (Adobe AIR ) version of the web application? Or, created a hybrid or lighter version of the web application as a...

asked Jan 21 '10 at 15:42
Blank
Aka Ak
165 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.17K Views
Do you love your product?

It's not just a simple question. It's about how passionate you are for your idea. Since the conception. I'm fully passionate for my idea. Thats what turns my product into a greatest, easyiest to...

asked Jan 12 '10 at 04:55
Blank
Daniel
108 points