Platforms Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.25K Views
Why does Wordpress have such a strong-hold on CMS marketshare?

Customizing Wordpress (apart from using themes) is very hard and it's all a bunch of spaghetti PHP code. Yet their marketshare keeps increasing over the years.Why hasn't another CMS platform that...

asked Jun 21 '15 at 13:58
Blank
Chris Jenkins
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.88K Views
How can I provide web app framework as a service and keep its source disclosed?

I am developing something like a web application framework in Ruby, and I want to turn that into a business. The application is provided as a single library, and can be used by simply require -ing...

asked Apr 8 '13 at 14:30
Blank
Sawa
110 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.48K Views
Mobile Web development environment; build or buy?

I already publish apps for the major platforms but our mobile development has lagged behind. I have my developers working on enhancements to our mobile site functionality, but I'm not sure whether...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 02:51
Blank
Nicko
840 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
What to focus on when pitching, product or underlying platform?

I'm working on launching a startup based on a new computing platform developed by my co-founders. The platform itself is very powerful and flexible, and we envision it being used as a foundation...

asked Aug 1 '11 at 18:56
Blank
Berislav Lopac
111 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.88K Views
Donation Platform: LLC or a 501(c)(3)?

I am starting a for-profit online donation platform. My company currently is an LLC and I have gotten conflicting reports on whether or not I need to convert to a 501(c)(3) so that the passthrough...

asked Jun 12 '11 at 11:40
Blank
Tesmar
106 points

31 Votes
20 Answers
16.2K Views
Why don't startups choose .Net as a platform?

I was reading the article about "Why Startups Could Use .NET, But Don’t ". Essentially the article says that it comes down to culture. I don't want to start a holy war, I just want to know the...

asked May 20 '11 at 05:01
Blank
7wp
275 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.44K Views
Platform / Language question for Photo site with mobile support

This is a newbie question :-) Wasn't sure if StackOverflow or one of its sister sites would be a better place to ask, but thought I'd go ahead anyway here first. A friend and I are toying around...

asked Mar 17 '10 at 02:52
Blank
Seenu
428 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.8K Views
Hosted Quizzes and Polls Platform

I am looking for a hosted Quizzes and Polls platform that has following features Create customized Quizzes and Polls Be able to embed these Quizzes and Polls on my site The platform should...

asked Feb 20 '10 at 11:42
Blank
User2202
164 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
What does it mean to "open the platform"

Sorry for asking such a simple question, but what does it mean to opensource a platform?

asked Feb 25 '10 at 06:57
Blank
Raed
101 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
Rich Internet Applications - your product strategy

Could someone share your experiences if you have created a rich internet application (Adobe AIR ) version of the web application? Or, created a hybrid or lighter version of the web application as a...

asked Jan 21 '10 at 15:42
Blank
Aka Ak
165 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.63K Views
When to target a new platform?

I tend not to treat new platforms as serious or viable business opportunities. My reasoning goes like this... Selling $1 apps in the crowded IPhone app store - unlikely to be any ROI...

asked Jan 20 '10 at 03:12
Blank
Benjamin Wootton
1,667 points