Pitch Questions

2 Votes
0 Answers
1.21K Views
VCs always say they invest in teams, not ideas. So should the pitch be mostly about the team's experience?

Every VC and funded startup says that venture capitalists invest in the team, not the idea.By that logic, shouldn't your pitch mostly be about the team's experience?Also, How can you highlight your...

asked May 7 '14 at 13:25
Blank
Denise Crabill
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.61K Views
How to determine "market size" when researching ideas or creating a pitch deck?

How does one determine the "market size" for a business opportunity. Lets presume I'm selling mugs. How do I figure out what the market size for mugs is?

asked Jun 4 '14 at 15:55
Blank
Dolores Jensen
6 points

2 Votes
0 Answers
1.42K Views
Hacking Venture Capital: could you connect with a partner at a firm only to have another partner lead the round?

I'm trying to (unsuccessfully) connect with a partner at a VC firm, but most likely would be able to with another partner. Would it be okay for me to try to get the main partner to lead our round...

asked Jun 4 '14 at 20:58
Blank
Norman Carrero
12 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Assets needed to provide angel investors?

Apart from a pitch deck, what assets should I have ready to send to investors on AngelList?Since all the deals on AngelList are done remotely (unless the investor is local to you and you meet them...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 14:59
Blank
Kris Vesey
7 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
What should a good executive summary include for VCs?

What type of content should an executive summary have when a venture capitalist requests one?Any tips on things to avoid and include in an executive summary? Things like length of the summary,...

1 Votes
0 Answers
Questions to ask VCs after pitching to them?

What are some questions that entrepreneurs should ask venture capitalists after pitching their business / idea?To put another way, what things should we as founders be looking for to ensure taking...

asked Sep 3 '14 at 20:12
Blank
Annette Smith
9 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Should you seek funding if you don't yet have revenues or traction?

It seems that either revenue or traction are the biggest factors in being able to easily get venture capital. Should one pursue trying to raise money without either of those factors? At the moment...

asked May 28 '14 at 21:41
Blank
Cheryl Febus
14 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Do you need financial projections when raising seed-stage capital from angel investors?

What kind of future financial projections do angel investors want to see for a early stage startup? I've seem companies provide projections when they are raising a Series A round or higher, but is...

asked May 22 '14 at 15:00
Blank
Vernon Hampton
4 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Can a pitch deck be used for things other than raising money?

We have spent a lot of time creating variations of pitch decks for our business and closed a small angel round. Could we continue to use the decks for other purposes now that funding is over?What...

asked May 13 '14 at 14:13
Blank
Leann Dement
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Should you use a VC's name to get intros to other VCs?

A prominent VC firm called us to pitch our business to them. Should we use their name recognition to get intros to other VCs as well?Is this something that most startups do?

asked Apr 25 '14 at 14:43
Blank
Zachary Faucher
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Ways to improve public speaking skills?

What techniques to improve your public speaking skills are the fastest to implement? I will be pitching our business to a few VCs next week (first time doing so) and public speaking is my weakest...

asked Apr 6 '14 at 12:59
Blank
Stuart Dotson
2 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
When pitching to investors, how do you respond to "Doesn't xyz app do this as well?"

Regardless of traction, many angels and VCs still ask this question. What is a good way to respond to it?Let's assume you are pitching Viber and an investor says "Doesn't WhatsApp do this same...

asked Mar 30 '14 at 11:55
Blank
Goldie Hartman
52 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
Phrases to avoid when pitching to investors?

What are some phrases startup founders love using that you shouldn't while pitching to investors?

asked Mar 8 '14 at 03:27
Blank
Earl Shellman
55 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
How long should a pitch deck be to keep the investor's interest?

How many slides should an ideal pitch deck have?What are your thoughts on having some subtle humor to keep the investor's attention span in check?

asked Mar 20 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Teresa Sanchez
135 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.28K Views
Calculating market potential and projections for VCs for an early stage startups?

I am creating a pitch deck to potentially raise a series A round and not sure where to start for projections. How do early stage startups calculate the market size and future projections when there...

asked Mar 16 '14 at 02:21
Blank
Fernando Douglas
35 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.28K Views
What should be in a seed-round pitch deck for investors?

What data do angel investors want to see in a pitch deck? Better yet, are there any public successful pitch decks that people have used to raise over $500K from angels?

asked Mar 10 '14 at 13:36
Blank
Robert Collins
160 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
Public speaking challenges and how to overcome it?

I am a software developer turned startup founder who is good at executing things. One thing I dread though is speaking in front of an audience, no matter how big or small.This is holding me back...

asked Mar 7 '14 at 12:39
Blank
Ramon Atwood
30 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
4.7K Views
Cold emailing a VC without an intro?

I don't have any contacts that could provide me an intro to a vc firm or angel investors. I have, however, found that many VCs' email addresses can be easily found on their websites or personal...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 12:38
Blank
Henry Nielsen
25 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Should you file a patent before pitching your product to investors?

I have a unique product that has a verified market but no competitors right now offering anything similar. Should I spend time and money patenting my concept before launching and pitching to...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 07:50
Blank
Jon Noles
100 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
Should the entire team tag along when pitching to VCs?

We're a team of 4 (two of us are founders) and the other two are early employees. When we go pitch VCs to try and raise a seed round, should the entire team go or just my co-founder and I? One...

asked Feb 7 '14 at 14:22
Blank
Zohra Sahertian
26 points