Domain Names Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Start-up name : getting only the .ca domain when .com isn't available?

I found a really good title for my start-up (I least I think). It is short, not too descriptive (but still a little bit) and brandable. In the first place, my product will be localize in Canada...

asked Jun 11 '14 at 13:38
Blank
Francis L
33 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
5.24K Views
Does private whois registration significantly affect your Google rankings?

I have a high quality content site that was consistently growing the last three months. The backlinks are from authority sites.Just a few days after I changed my whois registration to private, my...

asked Jun 23 '14 at 12:28
Blank
Albert Vaughan
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
Is it ever worth paying money to acquire a domain name for your startup?

The name my cofounder and I would like to use is taken and the current owner quotes us $7000 for the domain name.Is it ever worth for a startup to invest a tidy amount of money like that in a...

asked Jul 23 '14 at 21:40
Blank
John Murray
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
20.4K Views
Why do so many startups use .io domain names?

The only reason I can see is that .com domains for the name you want are hard to come by. Apart from that reason, is there any other benefit to an .io domain? What are the Pros and Cons of using...

asked May 13 '14 at 13:40
Blank
William Cunningham
14 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
I own a domain extension of a publicly traded company. Could I sell it?

I registered a .us extension of a startup which is now public on Nasdaq.Is it legal for me to sell the domain name on a marketplace like Flippa or Godaddy Auctions?P.S. My intention wasn't to be a...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 22:12
Blank
Vivian Sims
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
Bought an expired domain and it turned out to have a Google penalty. Is it worthless?

I purchased an expired domain on Godaddy Auctions for about $1,500 which had quite a few backlinks. I thought it would give me a head start with SEO.I, unfortunately, didn't research the domain out...

asked Mar 13 '14 at 20:55
Blank
Joel Mayes
35 points