Domain Names Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
Start-up name : getting only the .ca domain when .com isn't available?

I found a really good title for my start-up (I least I think). It is short, not too descriptive (but still a little bit) and brandable. In the first place, my product will be localize in Canada...

asked Jun 11 '14 at 13:38
Blank
Francis L
33 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Does private whois registration significantly affect your Google rankings?

I have a high quality content site that was consistently growing the last three months. The backlinks are from authority sites.Just a few days after I changed my whois registration to private, my...

asked Jun 23 '14 at 12:28
Blank
Albert Vaughan
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
If a startup fails, who gets to keep the domain name?

If a seed-funded startup fails and has a domain name with no real SEO value, who gets to keep ownership of the domain name after the company is dissolved?

asked Jul 14 '14 at 23:27
Blank
Mark Holifield
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Is it ever worth paying money to acquire a domain name for your startup?

The name my cofounder and I would like to use is taken and the current owner quotes us $7000 for the domain name.Is it ever worth for a startup to invest a tidy amount of money like that in a...

asked Jul 23 '14 at 21:40
Blank
John Murray
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.95K Views
Does .io domain names effect Google rankings? Since it's an international TLD.

A vast majority of startups coming out are now using the .io (Indian Ocean) domain extension.Does that effect their rankings in anyway in Google?Wouldn't Google not show their pages in the US since...

asked Feb 28 '14 at 11:10
Blank
Steve Wooley
165 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Process of selling a domain name?

What's the standard procedure for selling a domain name once you find a buyer and settle on a price?Should the buyer send the money first (or half the funds) and then you transfer the domain and...

asked May 21 '14 at 16:57
Blank
Minnie Chavez
2 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
15.6K Views
Why do so many startups use .io domain names?

The only reason I can see is that .com domains for the name you want are hard to come by. Apart from that reason, is there any other benefit to an .io domain? What are the Pros and Cons of using...

asked May 13 '14 at 13:40
Blank
William Cunningham
14 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Keyword domain for SEO or a brandable name?

Is it better to get a keyword rich domain name like "blue-socks.com" in order to get an SEO boost (since your backlinks will contain your target keyword in the anchor text)?Or is it better to go...

asked May 2 '14 at 15:25
Blank
Victor Baugher
2 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
I own a domain extension of a publicly traded company. Could I sell it?

I registered a .us extension of a startup which is now public on Nasdaq.Is it legal for me to sell the domain name on a marketplace like Flippa or Godaddy Auctions?P.S. My intention wasn't to be a...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 22:12
Blank
Vivian Sims
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Bought an expired domain and it turned out to have a Google penalty. Is it worthless?

I purchased an expired domain on Godaddy Auctions for about $1,500 which had quite a few backlinks. I thought it would give me a head start with SEO.I, unfortunately, didn't research the domain out...

asked Mar 13 '14 at 20:55
Blank
Joel Mayes
35 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Cost to acquire Medium.com domain name?

How much it cost for Medium.com to acquire their domain name?Is buying and reselling domain names a viable business nowadays? Or is the "gold rush" already over.

asked Mar 10 '14 at 09:01
Blank
Dave Goodwyn
20 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
A/B split testing which brand name to use for startup?

I have registered a few domain names that I think fit my idea the best. How can I split test them using either AdWords or FB ads to see which one would be best?

asked Feb 14 '14 at 17:59
Blank
Robert
6 points