Search Engines Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
How does Google index a page that isn't linked from anywhere on the web?

I had a page with an obscure url that wasn't linked from any other page and no where on the web. My sitemap file didn't include this page either.Yet I just saw that Google indexed the page and it...

asked Jun 16 '14 at 20:44
Blank
Mark Christensen
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Does private whois registration significantly affect your Google rankings?

I have a high quality content site that was consistently growing the last three months. The backlinks are from authority sites.Just a few days after I changed my whois registration to private, my...

asked Jun 23 '14 at 12:28
Blank
Albert Vaughan
7 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Is buying expired domain names with existing backlinks a good strategy to build links to your main site?

There are many domain names that expire each day which have tens of decent backlinks (occasionally, some even have .edu backlinks).Would it be a good (and whitehat) SEO strategy to: Buy these...

asked Jul 24 '14 at 00:12
Blank
Steve Weiler
9 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.04K Views
Does a plain text link on a page (without the html href) count as a backlink in Google's algorithm?

If a site just mentions my url in their article as plain text without the html <a> tag, would it get counted as a backlink?Will it be worth less than a normal HTML link if it does get counted?

asked Jun 2 '15 at 01:10
Blank
Desmond Foster
19 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
How to beat Google at search? DuckDuckGo is the only good alternative and didn't succeed.

With a hold on the search market share like Google has, how would you imagine a company becoming the next search engine giant? DuckDuckGo, a small company, has been trying but wasn't able...

asked Feb 20 '14 at 21:27
Blank
Dominick
16 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
SEO Suggestions that are user-friendly

I am finding it difficult to catch the best way to find keywords. I have read to use ones that my clients would ask basically in "client language" and I just cannot do it. I try but always end up...

asked Sep 13 '13 at 22:45
Blank
Holley Jacobs
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Does Pinterest no-follow all of their outbound links?

I am wondering whether or not search engine robots crawl, follow, and index links from pinterest.com. Or, do they block their outgoing links like facebook does? In other words, can a website build...

asked Jan 13 '12 at 01:46
Blank
Dan Male
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
How a vertical search engine can enter the market, since the main content source provider doesn't share their data?

Here is the case, There is a market that we want to enter as a vertical search engine (think of indeed.com). It is a classifieds search engine. However, the market's biggest classified site that...

asked Dec 27 '11 at 17:48
Blank
To Rr0t
69 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
Any thoughts on Ask v Bing v Google for search advertising?

I am looking for an alternative to AdSense. Have you had any experience of the non Google ad engines any any advise on the relative costs and performance?

asked Nov 18 '11 at 09:09
Blank
Jon Slinn
16 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
Improving Google page rank for a local business?

I'm working with a local business that has a storefront and an online catalog selling wine, and they're wondering how they can best improve their search engine results. If you search for their...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 09:00
Blank
Alex
1,156 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Why would people search nearby area or their location along with the searching phrase in google?

Why would people search nearby area or their location along with the searching phrase in google? I know few of them, like user searching for a specific nearby stores.

asked Oct 3 '11 at 06:02
Blank
Web2jeet
96 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
Is my role as non technical guy valuable enough in this case?

How do I approach this situation? I m a non-technical guy, but I want to set up a very basic search engine which would search for data from a MYSQL database of data collected by us.The data is...

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.7K Views
How do travel meta-search engines work?

I am a member of a travel startup and would like to include a travel meta-search on the website. However, I would like for it to function similar to Kayak's engine (referral only). How would one...

asked Apr 9 '11 at 03:37
Blank
Li Zhou
323 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
How can so many travel meta-search engines exist?

Seems like there are dozens (or hundreds) of travel meta-search engines like fly.com, Kayak, TravelPost, etc. I can't imagine any of the "big" sites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc allowing their...

asked Mar 24 '11 at 23:14
Blank
Cbmeeks
135 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
Copyright Issues With Creating "Social Search Engine"

I want to create a "social search engine" website. The idea is for people to search for jobs (or articles, or recipes -- I am necessarily targeting jobs), and be able to view them on my site,...

asked Dec 14 '10 at 07:11
Blank
Moteutsch
116 points