Family Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.34K Views
If someone is investing money as terms of a partnership is that money to be repaid as a loan?

My brother had an idea for a business and asked me to be his partner. His idea was for me to have 20% ownership and he has 80%. He is going to fund the business (at most $20,000) and believes that...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 23:32
Blank
Dina
11 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.47K Views
How to deal with unsupportive parents while creating a startup?

I've been telling myself for many years now I've wanted to create a company of my own and get out of the corporate misery. I am a software developer by trade, and have worked with a few startups...

asked Dec 13 '12 at 09:42
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
Authorizing family to purchase supplies for my sole-proprietorship

I've registered myself as a sole-proprietor business in Ontario, Canada. My common-law partner often helps me with organization and other tasks. I want her to be legally able to purchase supplies...

asked Nov 17 '11 at 05:03
Blank
Philip K
166 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Ways to work around creating a startup when working a job with a restrictive contract

I am happily employed as a software developer currently and have no plans to leave. An amazing opportunity presented itself to my dad that just screamed of a lucrative niche market with only a...

asked Nov 12 '11 at 06:32
Blank
Maple Shaft
323 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
How to tactfully respond to friends and relatives who say get a real job?

My friends and family who none of which own a company keep telling me I should get a job. From my perspective creating a job is a job. I explain that I am developing a software company and it...

asked Aug 25 '11 at 04:53
Blank
Waterfallrain
18 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
How do I make my mother open a side business?

My mother is reaching 55, and she raises ideas for start-ups every now and then. I am a software developer and I'm used to rapid prototyping, so I keep urging her to just go ahead a do it! I...

asked Jul 30 '11 at 22:57
Blank
Nur Ne
186 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.58K Views
Start a business with a close friend or a family member?

Is that a good or a bad idea to start a business with someone you are really close?

asked Jul 6 '11 at 19:01
Blank
Dervlap
28 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.97K Views
Term sheet for family member?

When getting funding from family and friends, are term sheets necessary? The family member I've approached is more interested in becoming an investor, rather than owning convertible debt. Every...

asked May 3 '11 at 00:05
Blank
Shaun
71 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Dealing with wifes/husbands?

Possible Duplicate: How to start a business and not destroy your marriage? Not everyone starts their business when they're in/fresh out of college. How do you deal with your spouses and help...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 17:36
Blank
Sean
1,149 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Two years in development mode at a startup: how do you deal with family?

I've been in startup, development mode for past 2 years almost. The first prototype did not work as planned and I recently have started rewriting. I am fully committed, I dedicate all my time into...

asked Oct 6 '10 at 15:17
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

3 Votes
9 Answers
3.05K Views
Looking for blogs and real life stories about entrepreneurs with a family

I really need to read and learn about startup entrepreneurs that have a family, and are managing to take the big risk and do this crazy thing called "start-up". As I see it from my point of view (...

asked Aug 2 '10 at 15:46
Blank
Meir
238 points