Copyright Questions

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
Creating software based on a book is copyright infringement?

I'm creating a software that's based on the teachings of a book. I want to name it after the book. Will there be a copyright infringement problem although they are in two different categories? If...

asked Feb 20 '11 at 23:38
Blank
Brown And Friendly
43 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
3.87K Views
How to Copyright a Marketing Idea

I have a few marketing idea that I have done some research on and have not been able to find other people who have done them. Since I am not in any businesses that could use the idea I wanted to...

asked Mar 2 '11 at 06:50
Blank
Dave Long
111 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
Proposal Copyright?

When submitting a proposal to a public RFP do you add a "Copyright. All Rights Reserved"? Would this confuse the organization requesting the proposal? Is this common practice? My thought is that...

asked Feb 11 '11 at 02:37
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.51K Views
Is it ok to aggregate headlines and republish them?

I have an idea for a web app that will target to a specific audience and will collect news and blog articles, analyze them (for keywords, trending topics and more) and then display the article...

asked Jan 30 '11 at 18:41
Blank
Mike T
174 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
New Android App

So we are creating a new Android App. We'll have a name for it, and a logo, and the specific functionality of the app is something that hasn't been done before (we searched). The app is going to be...

asked Feb 4 '11 at 04:45
Blank
Slandau
203 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.89K Views
Does someone violate copyright laws when quoting song lyrics?

I know there are tons of sites out there that list song lyrics that are surrounded with advertisements and pop up ads. I don't imagine the song writers had this in mind when they were writing their...

asked Feb 6 '11 at 07:20
Blank
Scott
468 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
Approach competitor before marketing new software program?

I set up a company and had a software developer create a new software program for the company. I thought that the idea for the software was novel, and before developing the software, I did some...

asked Jan 11 '11 at 10:06
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.49K Views
How to minimize risk of software copyright infringement claims

I had a software developer create a software program, which I copyrighted and then assigned to a software company (and LLC) that I co-founded. I plan to sell the program to the general...

asked Jan 12 '11 at 22:15
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
8.6K Views
Legal implications of cloning a board game

I want to build an electronic version of an existing popular board game that will use the same game mechanic and follow similar rules, but without requiring a physical board to play or any of the...

asked Dec 25 '10 at 04:12
Blank
Pate
306 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
Copyright Issues With Creating "Social Search Engine"

I want to create a "social search engine" website. The idea is for people to search for jobs (or articles, or recipes -- I am necessarily targeting jobs), and be able to view them on my site,...

asked Dec 14 '10 at 07:11
Blank
Moteutsch
116 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.17K Views
Creating a QA site - Becoming a lot like SE

I wanted to create a new website that was a Question and Answer site in a specific niche (one that SE is not in right now). My problem is that the more I design and create the website, the closer...

asked Oct 26 '10 at 03:24
Blank
Martin
1,340 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
New Website - Protecting It

We're starting up a new website. We already have the domain registered and we are going to begin development ASAP. We are going to hire someone to put together a logo for us as well as a front end...

asked Oct 26 '10 at 23:09
Blank
Scott
165 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.26K Views
Using the name wiki in my domain name ? Legal ? Copyright problems?

I would like to use the word wiki in my domain name, such as fastbikiwiki.com Is this legal or because of wikipedia, it would be a copyright issue using wiki in my domain name ?

asked Sep 30 '10 at 00:06
Blank
Mrjohn
113 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
How do you get a copyright on your web pages?

If I were to release a web app what is the procedure to procuring a copyright on it?

asked Oct 6 '10 at 05:34
Blank
Chromedude
202 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Build an online dictionary by combining several printed dictionaries. Is it legal?

I intend to build an online application for defining the meaning of words, synonyms, etc. in a certain language. This information will come from a combination of printed dictionaries. I'm almost...

asked Sep 1 '10 at 17:51
Blank
Dyn Zack
216 points

18 Votes
7 Answers
4.88K Views
What can you do when someone blatantly plagiarizes an entire blog post?

It's nice when folks quote parts of your post with a link back. It's another thing when the entire RSS entry is duplicated verbatim, including my "Retweet" buttons and the "Please leave a comment"...

asked Mar 19 '10 at 02:00
Blank
Jason
16,231 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
What is required for an idea(website) to be eligible for copyright?

Is a prototype considered a business that can be owned and protected? instead of having nothing to offer(an idea) I'd have a business to offer so I can hire people

asked Feb 19 '10 at 21:38
Blank
Raed
101 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
6.42K Views
Can you modify code under the MIT Open Source licence?

I'm considering building an community over Pinax. The out-of-the-box functionality covers maybe 60% of what we need to do. We're more than happy to debug and support the base code set but need to...

asked Dec 11 '09 at 17:53
Blank
Puk
81 points

10 Votes
3 Answers
12K Views
Is it legal to copy a user interface?

Is it a copyright infringement to copy a user interface? I'm not talking about the specific graphics, but the layout and the way users interact with the application. For example, Blippy 's UI...

asked Dec 16 '09 at 02:31
Blank
Olivier Lalonde
2,753 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
11.1K Views
Is it legal to display album art and artist images on my website?

I'm working on a music review website and I was wondering what the legality was of displaying album art and artist images on the site. Do I need permission from the labels/artists?

asked Nov 28 '09 at 22:20
Blank
Kjf
123 points