Copyright Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.12K Views
Copyright infringement issue google play (An android app)

Today I received a mail from Google which state that your app has been removed from Google play due to copyright infringement. The person who register this copyright issue is a person who run his...

asked Jan 29 '13 at 16:38
Blank
Sunny
116 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.67K Views
Is it legally right to put movie/music/games cover art on a website?

We want to launch a website where we put information about movies, music and more. Each item (movie, music etc.) will have it's own page. On this page there will be some information about the item,...

asked Feb 2 '13 at 04:17
Blank
Oskar Persson
109 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Copyrighting an already existing name that is not copyrighted before

My friend runs a website called XYZ.com but hasnt copyrighted the name XYZ. I would want to use XYZ as the name of my startup too and would like to copyright it this time. Do i have to ask him...

asked Feb 2 '13 at 14:38
Blank
Karthik Kannan
156 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.09K Views
Is it advisable to name my startup www.teamsomething.com if www.somethingapp.com already exists?

I am working on setting up an app development company along with a few of my friends. Assume that the name I want is "something". Since www.something.com was unavailable, I have decided to name it...

asked Dec 14 '12 at 22:14
Blank
User22090
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.39K Views
How should I protect myself from intellectual property theft before I pitch this game to Scopely?

(For the impatient, the main question is at the bottom of this text.) I was reading this article and a couple of others about Scopely, a game development company responsible for the creation of...

asked Dec 19 '12 at 10:15
Blank
Baptzmoffire
3 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
3.69K Views
How do I know if I am infringing on a Copyright or Patent?

Im looking to create a small start up at home making bicycle accessories but I have no clue if I would be infringing on any copyright and or patents in doing so. How Do I know if my Company name...

asked Dec 27 '12 at 12:39
Blank
User22258
31 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Co-inventor and Section 2870 of the California Labor Code

My partner and me developed a product, and the split is: I developed 97-98%, he developed the rest, the idea was conceived by both. He did his portion on his own time and equipment, and it uses...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 12:35
Blank
Aynat
111 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.91K Views
Terms of agreement with a co-founder after split-up

I recently quit working with my co-founder. We had started a software business together and had agreed on a certain profit share. But shortly after the launch of the apps, we had to split because...

asked Nov 13 '12 at 23:57
Blank
Brown And Friendly
43 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
5.39K Views
What is the law covering the intellectual property rights of software developed during internship/employment without signed contract/agreement?

I am a software engineer who "invented", and developed alone an integrated ERP software solution over the past 2 years. I got the idea and coded much of the software as intern at small wholesale...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 06:31
Blank
P T
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.1K Views
Is it "fair use" to refer to names of celebrities/cartoon characters in a game?

We have a game that requires players to refer to a list of celebrity and/or cartoon characters by name. The names simply show up in print alone, along with a short, original description of the...

asked Nov 5 '12 at 08:18
Blank
Old Mc Stopher
135 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Car Photo Copyrights

I'm looking to build a website that compares car specifications, and possibly some reviews. I'd like to add some photos of the cars to the site. I'm a little concerned about copyright implications....

asked Oct 14 '12 at 04:54
Blank
Darthg8r
114 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.29K Views
Opensource vs custom development strategy

The possible advantages of using something like Drupal is a dev time-saver. But if we were to develop a minimum viable product / proof of concept / prototype using Drupal, other developers could...

asked Oct 16 '12 at 23:51
Blank
Gyrostu
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
What things an entrepreneur should get copyrighted before approaching VCs

What things can be copyrighted of a startup before approaching VCs? I have a very fast growing online venture for which I am going to approach VCs. But I want to make sure they can't use my idea...

asked Sep 22 '12 at 23:24
Blank
Sourabh
288 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.56K Views
Protecting works for being able to prove later "I've done this on this date"

How to protect digitalized works for later prove we've had this and that on that date ? Example: John Doe wants to protect his works on 2011 to be able to prove in future (let's say 2022) that he...

asked Aug 27 '12 at 21:36
Blank
Grzegorz Wierzowiecki
126 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.71K Views
Example of Agreement (template) with Company for doing stuff in spare time

According to related topic: If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare time? (and related : Intellectual Property and Side-Projects in...

asked Aug 12 '12 at 19:24
Blank
Grzegorz Wierzowiecki
126 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.72K Views
Playing Cards Artwork Copyright

So, I'm considering creating a searchable website/mobile app for cards for a popular card game. The cards have some text on them and an image. In the site/app, I'll display some of the text and an...

asked Aug 15 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Darthg8r
114 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Is this an ethical use of other peoples' content?

I am planning to create a website that will curate selected posts from around 30 blogs in a specific niche and organize them into a detailed hierarchy that makes it very easy for visitors to access...

asked Jun 26 '12 at 16:23
Blank
Tim Coulter
128 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.63K Views
StreamServe Consulting copyright issues with name

We are planing to start a StreamServe consulting firm in Singapore. I would like to know, is it legal to use StreamServe in the website we are planing to launch for this consulting work. I haven't...

asked May 11 '12 at 18:40
Blank
Saanch
103 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.56K Views
Legalese in other languages

I recently translated my app to German and Spanish. The German translator recommended leaving the copyright notice in English while the Spanish translator translated it. Which is better? My app is...

asked May 3 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Barry Fruitman
119 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.08K Views
Copyright/Trademark issues on Computer/Tablet/Phone accessories

My wife and I are starting a small business to create hand made cases for laptop/tablet/phones etc. We're curious about the legalities of buying fabric that's pre-printed with logos of lets say...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 05:04
Blank
Dstarh
113 points