Copyright Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.6K Views
Copyrights when selling e-services

I run a limited company in the UK, and when I sell on-line services and digitalised goods to people around the European Union for their personal use, the place of supply is always the UK and I'm...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 22:20
Blank
Lukeshek
452 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
How do I merge with a new Corp with an older Corp?

I'm incorporating a new c-corp in Delaware with a new co-founder. So, I want to merge the older new york c-corp because it has all my copyrights and trademarks assigned to it. Also, the New York...

asked Apr 18 '12 at 05:43
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.28K Views
I trademarked and copyrighted the plural form of the name but going with the singular form

I trademarked and copyrighted the plural form (s) of the company's name. Now, I deleted the "s" from the company's name to go with the singular form. The logo is just cool fonts. Do I have to...

asked Apr 26 '12 at 05:49
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
Avoiding copyright issues

The copyright/TOS issues that Pinterest was/is facing got me thinking about the viability of my own startup considering all the content for my site is socially-generated and requires copyright...

asked Mar 27 '12 at 16:13
Blank
Dq Pb
8 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
IP: Maintain property over source code

I have code of mine, developed before joining the company as a co-founder, that I used for the company product (website) but want to retain the copyright and all IP rights to it and to be able to...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 12:32
Blank
Jj.
29 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
Side projects while being a co-founder and officer of a company

There is already an awesome question and answers on IP and spare time related to employees: If I'm working at a company, do they have intellectual property rights to the stuff I do in my spare...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 14:40
Blank
Jj.
29 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Licensed software and due diligence: sufficient?

In the process of due diligence for an investment or for M&A, I ask: Considering that all other software is property of the company, is it sufficient to have a non-core part of the software,...

asked Apr 1 '12 at 16:36
Blank
Jj.
29 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
How does copyright work when there are more than one copyright holders?

I am working on a project that will make use a series of educational videos shot in the '80's. While reviewing one of the videos I came across a copyright notice that lists two copyright holders....

asked Mar 16 '12 at 06:29
Blank
Martin's
121 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.06K Views
Ownership of logo design

I am incapable (artistically) of designing a logo for my startup. If I offer to pay someone to create it for me, do I own the intellectual property rights to the logo? Are there any other steps I...

asked Mar 23 '12 at 04:42
Blank
Explosion Pills
113 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.63K Views
Former partner is illegally using my IP

I've noticed a former potential partner of mine is using a logo, website design, and company description/mission that I created and retain full ownership of. Should I just send a simple email...

asked Mar 5 '12 at 19:04
Blank
Ashton M.
83 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.71K Views
Make a record of a website infringing our copyright?

A website from a competitor is using images we own the copyright to, and is asserting on their site that they own the copyright. Is there a way to create a neutral record of their...

asked Mar 12 '12 at 08:25
Blank
Ashton M.
83 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.77K Views
Using brand logos for polls on my website?

I make some polls on my website, like : What do you prefer Ford Explorer or Toyota 4Runner? Is such a poll allowed without explicit permission of Toyota and Ford? Next step: Can I use their...

asked Feb 20 '12 at 23:05
Blank
Alisia123
13 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.17K Views
Use of copyrighted brand images On commercial website

I can't seem to find any exact language on using a company's copyrighted logos on a website. I am going to make a website for a business who distributes products related to a large soda company....

asked Jan 30 '12 at 13:32
Blank
Russ H Walker
8 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.86K Views
Can one be sued for copying the "look and feel"?

Hypothetically, can Microsoft sue OpenOffice for copying the "look and feel", "command and menu structure", "copyright infringement" and the other similarities in the User Interface?

asked Feb 2 '12 at 00:03
Blank
Graviton
871 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
tech startup - code licensing and copyright

Me and my developers are developing the code for a tech startup that I have an equity with. I'm giving the code to the startup for the startup purpose use. However, since I'm the developer, I would...

asked Jan 18 '12 at 11:49
Blank
Kathy
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Copyright law concerning Star Wars

I want to make wooden puzzles out of Star Wars characters and sell them on Etsy. Would this be considered a violation of copyright? They would not be explicitly stated as Star Wars puzzles but I...

asked Jan 23 '12 at 12:00
Blank
Mecha
13 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.7K Views
copyrights problem

I'm thinking to build an android and iPhone app, with short jokes, phrases from movies. The length of the jokes is 2-3 seconds maximum. I don't plan to make any money from this app(by advertising...

asked Dec 31 '11 at 01:50
Blank
Dole Doug
141 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Having a license to your product instead of owning it?

Contracted a developer to build a product. Contract was and we were halfway through the project before we had it in hand (realized mistake there, moving on....) We were under the impression that we...

asked Jan 6 '12 at 10:54
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Interpreting Invention Assignment: what does "is not related" to the company's business mean in employment contracts?

I'm talking about those Invention Assignment clauses in employment contracts (especially with regards to California labor code section 2870) "Prohibiting employee assignment to an employer of...

asked Dec 25 '11 at 21:34
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
court precedence on California labor code section 2870

Does anybody know of any actual court cases involving California labor code section 2870 which gives a clear precedence as to how judges would rule in such disputes (eg. a programmer makes...

asked Dec 26 '11 at 17:26
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points