Copyright Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Legality of using logos in business

What is the legality of using logos such as Batman or JLS on or in products? If I make a t-shirt Iron on Transfer, with the batman logo or some other logo on it, and sell it, is that legal?

asked Aug 31 '11 at 00:08
Blank
Just Anil
108 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.19K Views
IP Ownership Dispute

My partner and I are having a dispute. I wanted to know who owns the code in a company with one technical cofounder (me) who has written the entire code. I was the one who came up the idea and...

asked Aug 19 '11 at 03:03
Blank
Kap
6 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.66K Views
Should I use my company's IP?

I've been working for a company as a contractor for several months. While working for this company, I created some seriously sensitive IP. This is IP that is nigh on patentable. My employment with...

asked Aug 26 '11 at 21:13
Blank
John
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.83K Views
Royalty free licensing

Ok, noob licensing question. First of all I bought some art off someone and got semi stung when I learnt that I couldn't do what I wanted to do with the produced art, I did not own the rights to it...

asked Aug 3 '11 at 19:23
Blank
Tom
480 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Protecting user's data to be used by everyone

I am planning for a website startup, in which i use the data added by the people which is accessible to every other user. Now i want to make sure that the data that has been entered by a particular...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 23:11
Blank
Kraken
133 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Bought some computer art, what can I do with it?

I know I should have sorted this out prior to having it done but it didn't cross my mind and I'm not sure what my legal rights are. I approached a freelance artist to draw an image for my website,...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 21:02
Blank
Tom
480 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.27K Views
How Should I Deal With Intellectual Property

Intellectual property is a subject that has far reaching implications for your business. There are several different types of intellectual property that every business deals with. They include:...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 22:24
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
Code Copyrighted

What's the deal if you are: The only technical person on your start up / and or the one doing programming. Haven't made a penny 'on-the-books' in terms of your startup Is the code you write on...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 03:59
Blank
User9968
229 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.8K Views
Is copying facts a copyright infringment?

I work on a website that is backed by a database with a lot of product information. Much of this information is user generated. I would like to know if there are any copyright issues around...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 07:32
Blank
Josh Cutler
21 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.92K Views
Is my own made website automaticly copyrighted or do I have to register it some where?

Is my own made website automatically copyrighted or do I have to register it some where? For example if someone copies my content how can I claim it it was myself? How can I open a case ?

asked Jul 3 '11 at 09:04
Blank
Monster Mmorpg
121 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
How sustainable is a website that uses stolen images?

I would like to start a website where people can discuss whatever they please. They will be allowed to upload images of the topic they're talking about. For example, a user writes a review on the...

asked Jun 19 '11 at 05:13
Blank
Jo Jo
148 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
When should I register as an agent to receive copyright infringement notices?

I am developing a user generated content site right now and its almost finished so I have been researching a bit on what I need to do legally. I know its going to take a lot of hard work and time...

asked Jun 19 '11 at 09:25
Blank
Leo
71 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
UK taxation of startup gain due to IP

I learnt today that if an author assigns copyright of his book to a publisher for a fee, the net revenue is taxed as income, not as capital gains. On the other hand, one would normally think...

asked May 11 '11 at 02:15
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.4K Views
Copyright or trademark infringement on web site name

I'm about to place a site I've built live and looking at registering a domain name. Is there anything I need to worry about in picking a name? If my domain name is a misspelling of another domain...

asked May 4 '11 at 13:08
Blank
Xiaohouzi79
1,257 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
7.16K Views
Is it legal to show an album on a Youtube Video?

Im currently working on a channel on Yt which does album reviews and I've gone from just speaking to do it in person on webcam and I am hoping at some point to go for a Yt partnership as I've...

asked May 3 '11 at 11:12
Blank
Keepinitcore
8 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.06K Views
Approach copyright holders to licence IP for my game

I built an electronic version of a popular board game. I got some good responses on avoiding legal issues, but I went ahead and built it anyway, keeping it private for obvious reasons. Everyone who...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 22:49
Blank
Pate
306 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.99K Views
what are the legal ramifications of an android app that uses third party music?

I was thinking of creating an Android game/app that plays a soundtrack from a movie, and prompts you to guess what movie it is from. My question is: what are the legal ramifications of an app like...

asked Apr 13 '11 at 01:38
Blank
Ephraim
121 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
5.47K Views
Copyright/IP of sudokus

I have recently learned how to do constraint processing and I figured out how to generate sudoku puzzles. I thought it would be interesting/fun to create an interactive website for these puzzles. I...

asked Apr 8 '11 at 12:39
Blank
Jbranchaud
168 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.21K Views
How do you prove a computer-generated work was independently generated by you?

This question is related to one of my earlier posts about the ability to copyright sudokus. I have written a program that generates sudokus and I want to make a website with these sudokus. It seems...

asked Apr 9 '11 at 01:19
Blank
Jbranchaud
168 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Can I copyright or otherwise protect a business vision/strategy?

I am involved as a cofounder in a tech/software company. My associate is bringing initial funding and is conversant with finance/accounting, facilities/infrastructure and general organizational...

asked Mar 3 '11 at 12:41
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points