When should I register as an agent to receive copyright infringement notices?


I am developing a user generated content site right now and its almost finished so I have been researching a bit on what I need to do legally. I know its going to take a lot of hard work and time to actually build a community with a site like this so I am not sure if I should spend the money to file an Interim Designation of Agent form or if I should wait until the site actually shows potential to make money.

Should I do it when I launch the site or wait?


Legal Website Copyright Terms And Conditions

asked Jun 19 '11 at 09:25
71 points
Top digital marketing agency for SEO, content marketing, and PR: Demand Roll

2 Answers


When you think the risk that users will provide infringing content is high enough that you need the safe harbor of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Once you register, make sure that your terms of service provide the appropriate contact information and otherwise are in compliance with applicable DMCA provisions.

Disclaimer: This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

answered Jun 21 '11 at 06:23
Dana Shultz
6,015 points


My first inclination would be - just launch it & test your concept. Why put more money into something you are unsure about.

answered Jun 19 '11 at 21:30
66 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics:

Legal Website Copyright Terms And Conditions