Trademark Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
trademark was rejected for being too close to something else; any possibility of still using it

I had a trademark application that was rejected. The company has a business in a specific part of the country (not what I'd be doing). Is there any chance of using this? Do people do trademark...

asked Sep 1 '11 at 03:27
Blank
Timpone
142 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.68K Views
If the USPTO website has a trademark as "Dead," can I register it?

I plan to get a trademark registered and I was searching the USPTO website to see if it already taken or not. I figured out the Live/Dead Indicator is "Dead". Does that mean I can get this...

asked Aug 4 '11 at 06:23
Blank
Umair Ashraf
135 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
How do I get a trademark on a logo and slogan when I have no money?

I have an idea for two great logos and slogans that I would sell to two different companies if I could afford to get them secured through a reputable attorney. I have an attorney in mind. Is it a...

asked Aug 7 '11 at 04:00
Blank
Troy
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.49K Views
Domain Policy Strategy?

What is the best course of action in dealing with Domain Policies? For instance, if my company develops open source software at www.bestsoft.com, should my Domain Policy allow the creation of...

asked Aug 8 '11 at 18:10
Blank
Zima Filippov
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
How long should it take a lawyer to do a trademark application?

I have a corporate lawyer who billed me for about 4 hrs for a very simple trademark application (like 10 lines). Does this sounds excessive for a simple trademark application? This is the first...

asked Jul 23 '11 at 07:35
Blank
Timpone
142 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
How Should I Deal With Intellectual Property

Intellectual property is a subject that has far reaching implications for your business. There are several different types of intellectual property that every business deals with. They include:...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 22:24
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Domain / Trademark

I own a phrase, which I have trademarked, and it is registered, and also copyrighted. I'm currently getting a website (somewhat finished). I have some domain names, but the exact one I want,...

asked Jul 20 '11 at 14:44
Blank
Hero
11 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
Do I have to have the company type in the name?

I'm creating a new startup in DC and corporating as an LLC. Do I need to have Company Name, LLC or am I free to name it just Company Name?

asked Apr 28 '11 at 05:04
Blank
Marco Ceppi
126 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.08K Views
Approach copyright holders to licence IP for my game

I built an electronic version of a popular board game. I got some good responses on avoiding legal issues, but I went ahead and built it anyway, keeping it private for obvious reasons. Everyone who...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 22:49
Blank
Pate
306 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
Trademark domain infringement

I am developing a tool but It's really difficult to get a name. I'm wondering if I can use a domain like xptoapp.com without infringement the trademark "xpto" if it exists. How does this work? I...

asked Mar 3 '11 at 00:37
Blank
Tiago
333 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.57K Views
Trademarking a name

I have a unique name for my domain/startup. If it's really unique can I trademark the name in general or still have to specify what it sells even if it's unique? And can I trademark something...

asked Mar 3 '11 at 09:35
Blank
Matt
141 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
New Android App

So we are creating a new Android App. We'll have a name for it, and a logo, and the specific functionality of the app is something that hasn't been done before (we searched). The app is going to be...

asked Feb 4 '11 at 04:45
Blank
Slandau
203 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
3.92K Views
how to deal with a slanderous website that is using a trademarked domain name

A friend of mine accidentally let the .com domain of their US business expire, and it was snatched up by an unknown person who has a personal grudge against them. The website is now full of...

asked Jan 9 '11 at 19:30
Blank
Dustin Boswell
153 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
8.61K Views
Legal implications of cloning a board game

I want to build an electronic version of an existing popular board game that will use the same game mechanic and follow similar rules, but without requiring a physical board to play or any of the...

asked Dec 25 '10 at 04:12
Blank
Pate
306 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.7K Views
How does trademark relate to acquiring domain names?

Say I'm able to trademark the word "widgetville" for an online game that I'm building. But the domain "widgetville.com" (and pretty much every major TLD of the word) are all registered, but just...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 16:11
Blank
Shpigford
146 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.61K Views
How would people receive a startup called ltrPath considering that there's one called Path?

How would you receive and what kind of association would come up in your mind about these two names? Is there any possiblity of a trademark violation? Like the book word in the facebook...

asked Dec 12 '10 at 17:58
Blank
Keyne On
108 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Regarding trade names / "doing business as"

I am looking to form a corporation in the state of New Hampshire, USA. I understand that a company may register a trade name with the state. As I understand it, all companies require a legal...

asked Nov 20 '10 at 16:26
Blank
Jake Petroules
113 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.5K Views
Once my trademark has been registered, how often do I need to pay a fee/check in on it?

I can't seem to get a straight answer when I call the USPTO

asked Dec 1 '10 at 09:59
Blank
Startupgirl
26 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Would I have to patent my computer systems in order to produce them and sell them to markets?

Would I have to patent my computer systems (such as desktops and laptops) in order to produce them and sell them to markets? Similar to Dell and HP would operate.

asked Dec 1 '10 at 14:43
Blank
User5732
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.96K Views
What is the best and least expensive way to trademark and patent your business IP internationally?

I am working on a start-up company to grow to become a big company to compete against some well known, popular, and in some ways powerful companies in the respective industries and markets today. I...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 15:23
Blank
User5732
6 points