Trademark Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.1K Views
Is it "fair use" to refer to names of celebrities/cartoon characters in a game?

We have a game that requires players to refer to a list of celebrity and/or cartoon characters by name. The names simply show up in print alone, along with a short, original description of the...

asked Nov 5 '12 at 08:18
Blank
Old Mc Stopher
135 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
How to undo trademark hijacking

Say I have a company called Business, and I've been operating under the domain name greatbusiness.com for 2 years. The "tm" symbol is on our logo and elsewhere on our website. Then someone else...

asked Oct 4 '12 at 13:52
Blank
Nolan
8 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.79K Views
What should we trademark?

We have some game development software called Construct 2. We are based in the UK. As far as we are aware, we're the only business with game development software called Construct. We'd like to...

asked Oct 15 '12 at 20:08
Blank
Tom
480 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
Somebody got a trademark for a domain I own. I am planning to launch my service in a week

I have a domain name, (lets call it XYZ.com) which I have owned for about an year and a related service that I have been developing for about an year too. I just searched the trademark database,...

asked Sep 23 '12 at 02:06
Blank
Royal1122
252 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Naming an LLC - conflicting with a service trademark

Possible Duplicate: Somebody got a trademark for a domain I own. I am planning to launch my service in a week I'm looking to name a startup (LLC) with what I think is a cool name. Upon...

asked Sep 27 '12 at 00:13
Blank
Dmitri B
3 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.77K Views
Domain name protection of international trademark

How strong / weak is owning a .com and / or other common domain extensions (.org, .net) as a means of protecting an international trademark? Assuming that the domain name does not infringe upon...

asked Sep 9 '12 at 20:58
Blank
Josh
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
Can I use competitor trademarks in my branding?

I would like to use the following in the branding for my startup software product. Do I run the risk of being sued by my competitors? Hello. My Family needs , < feature 1 > like <...

asked Aug 24 '12 at 01:42
Blank
Letgo123
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.55K Views
Do I need to give trademark rights to my incorporated company?

I hold many trademarks personally (no business entity involves here). If I launch a company which is independent legal entity, do I need to give trademark rights to company before using it? Or, I...

asked Aug 29 '12 at 05:12
Blank
Sachin Shekhar
260 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
What legal considerations must be taken before launching a stealth landing page?

Not sure if this is a silly question but wanted to make sure I dot my i's. Are there any particular legal aspects that need to be considered or finalized before launching the stealth (sign-up)...

asked Aug 9 '12 at 10:22
Blank
Anand Patel
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.63K Views
Trademark a name in the US

I'm in Germany and would like to register a Trademark in the US. (Just a name, no picture mark) Where do I start and what do I need to consider before register it? Thank you.

asked Jul 6 '12 at 21:57
Blank
Michael
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.85K Views
US trademark law

I came across Microsoft Surface today, and one tiny detail get me thinking. There is a small "TM" next to the word "Surface", can they do that? Can a common word like surface be trademarked like...

asked Jun 19 '12 at 17:09
Blank
Martin Kristiansen
102 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
How to protect your trademark in AppStore/Google Play, if they sell in the whole world?

I live in Germany. If I register a trademark here and then submit my application into the AppStore, will it be protected? The trademark will be my app's name. I imagine that my competition could...

asked Jun 26 '12 at 10:39
Blank
Muller
19 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
I want to start an ecommerce apparel line, how should I structure my company, and what are the legal requirements to sell online?

I already have an LLC, however, It's not the brand name I want to use for my business. Should I do a DBA under that LLC? I would like to apply for a trademark on the brand, so would this structure...

asked Jul 3 '12 at 20:43
Blank
User18631
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.96K Views
mobile app name registration before release

I am currently in the middle of developing for mobile application and website.. Because my app/web are still in development period, I didn't register my mobile application in Google play or iPhone...

asked Jun 9 '12 at 09:47
Blank
User948950
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
8.37K Views
Can I use trademarked logos on product I am selling to the Trademark owner or a division thereof?

A two part question for my startup: I intend to sell products / stationary (such as letterhead, pencils, pens, etc.) to companies (or divisions of a company). Would it be illegal to create samples...

asked Jun 12 '12 at 06:55
Blank
Jeff
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
How do I merge with a new Corp with an older Corp?

I'm incorporating a new c-corp in Delaware with a new co-founder. So, I want to merge the older new york c-corp because it has all my copyrights and trademarks assigned to it. Also, the New York...

asked Apr 18 '12 at 05:43
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
When (or if) to trademark your startup name?

We are about to launch our new B2C startup (based in Germany targetting the German-speaking market first, including Germany, Austria, Switzerland), but hopefully later expanding to English-speaking...

asked Apr 22 '12 at 22:55
Blank
Yoav Aner
318 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
Use a trademark lawyer or register it myself?

I'm debating whether to use a trademark lawyer (at $1300+ cost) or try it register it myself. The most complicated aspect I can see from the USPTO form is describing your goods/services (in that,...

asked Apr 23 '12 at 16:34
Blank
William Denniss
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.26K Views
I trademarked and copyrighted the plural form of the name but going with the singular form

I trademarked and copyrighted the plural form (s) of the company's name. Now, I deleted the "s" from the company's name to go with the singular form. The logo is just cool fonts. Do I have to...

asked Apr 26 '12 at 05:49
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Legal difference between trademark and registered trademark

What are the legal differences between using the two characters ™ and ®? Does using ™ imply the trademark isn't registered and therefore can be used by one?

asked Apr 6 '12 at 15:09
Blank
Ayub
133 points