Trademark a name in the US


I'm in Germany and would like to register a Trademark in the US. (Just a name, no picture mark)
Where do I start and what do I need to consider before register it?

Thank you.


asked Jul 6 '12 at 21:57
11 points
  • You start by doing a little research on your own so that you can ask specific and meaningful questions. – Kekito 10 years ago
  • Go to this site: www.uspto.govFrenchie 10 years ago

1 Answer


If this is a mark that you're also using in Germany, you might look into using the Madrid protocol to nationalize it in the US. Germany is a party to the protocol. Alternatively, you can register it directly in the US through the US Patent & Trademark Office's "TEAS PLUS" system. You'd want to google those things.

As to what to do first -- (1) Make sure that nobody else is using the same mark on the same products, (2) make sure that the mark can be trademarked -- it cannot be merely a description or generic term for the product you sell.

For more information, the USPTO has a bunch of informational videos and other information here:

answered Jul 7 '12 at 00:05
Chris Fulmer
2,849 points

Your Answer

  • Bold
  • Italic
  • • Bullets
  • 1. Numbers
  • Quote
Not the answer you're looking for? Ask your own question or browse other questions in these topics: