Service Questions

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
How to start a new ISP in a small city?

Does anyone have any insight on what it takes to start a new ISP (like Comcast, but at a smaller scale)?Do you need a significant amount of money to even get going and lay your own infrastructure?...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 14:02
Blank
Leslie Patterson
17 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.71K Views
Is there such a thing as an initial equity picture evaluation service?

I am wondering if there is such a thing as a neutral, 3rd party service that provides an outside assessment to help a founding team that is ready to incorporate come to a decision on equity...

asked Feb 20 '14 at 21:32
Blank
Dan Newman
21 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.25K Views
Is "airbag" a registered trademark?

I want use the word "airbag" in combination with another word for my future online service, is this word a registered trademark ?

asked Nov 27 '13 at 23:43
Blank
Elsadek
4 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.69K Views
Protecting the customer after using our service and avoiding system abuse?

would really appreciate some help on some difficulties I am facing: We are developing a service which connects customers with service providers on an agreed price. The customer puts up a price...

asked Oct 11 '13 at 03:58
Blank
Chuck
113 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
How much protection can the terms of service actually provide?

Context: (based in the USA) I am building an online marketplace for services and am wondering on how much protection I can get from my terms of service. I am thinking of starting this business...

asked Aug 27 '13 at 11:03
Blank
Train
23 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
launching startup: locally vs international

I have a site I am launching within the next couple of weeks. The site will be providing a service to connect people locally within there region (city,state etc..). The question is, should I...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 00:12
Blank
Justin
50 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.78K Views
How do I create a service charge table

I'm planning on changing the pricing model of my company from an hourly rate to a fixed rate. If that's not clear enough here's an example: My current model is: customer asks us to install a power...

asked Nov 27 '12 at 19:46
Blank
Jared
13 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Selling an idea in the public sector

Me and my partner are working on an idea for a text (SMS) service that we intend to pitch to the National Health Service in the UK as it could potentially save them a lot of money. However, minus...

asked Jul 11 '12 at 16:57
Blank
Sebastian
101 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Paid Market Testing

I am planning at a new startup and would like to a-b-test several elements (such as the brand name / logo / sales pitch) before the actual product launch. Ideally, I would love to pay a service...

asked Mar 27 '12 at 12:01
Blank
0x90
106 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
How best to manage charge backs and returns in 3rd party aggregation model?

My partners and I are working on a startup and part of our model is acting as a 3rd party aggregator of certain services, similar to a travel agent, meaning customers pay us and we pay the service...

asked Mar 13 '12 at 19:05
Blank
Dmoore
46 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.78K Views
Fair commission for sales agent

My start-up is going to provide B2B custom software development services on a project by project basis. I have been talking to a prospective sales agent, who would take over the following...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 21:31
Blank
Phil
13 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
What are the various IT consulting models and the benefits and drawbacks of each?

I am pursuing an opportunity as an outside consultant to an established company, but don't really know how to package my services. Here are a couple of models I have come across: Charge a...

asked Jan 27 '12 at 06:33
Blank
J.Rightly
106 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
how to describe and market web applications creation service to Internet newbies

I am a web applications programmer and having created web applications for education, health and private investigations industries and seeing the value in doing this, I feel I am ready to start my...

asked Oct 8 '11 at 22:15
Blank
Angus
5 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Free service or paid service?

Why are there free services and paid services? How are paid services different? For example, some job search sites require $$$, and others are free. How would you decide whether to charge for a...

asked Aug 24 '11 at 21:09
Blank
Ted Wong
171 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Is there such thing as a "real virtual computer"

Myself and a few others have been doing a bit of research and couldn’t find anything on the following. A virtual pc, where I could use my not-so-good current pc but have access to a much better,...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 09:33
Blank
Logi Kal
37 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
How to calculate prices of my service based on Amazon Ec2 prices?

I'm going to provide some service for media content management. I will use Ec2 instances for service hosting. So, what are reasonable margins to Ec2 prices? What guides exist for such a matter? I...

asked Aug 9 '11 at 04:56
Blank
Alehro
113 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
2.93K Views
How should I approach web-hosting companies?

My business is to do with Live-Chat support for business websites. I now have my website up and got good traffic, and excellent reviews from my closed beta program. I am now trying to break into...

asked Jul 9 '11 at 18:55
Blank
Julia
178 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
How should I list all the features?

I now have my website up. I have listed top 6 features on "homepage". I have 29 vital features to my service (Live-Chat) that needs to be listed on "features" page. I tried various templates but...

asked Jun 29 '11 at 17:42
Blank
Julia
178 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
Evergreen dilemma : Product Company vs Service Company

From the title itself some of you might have guesses the question. Yes it is an ever green dilemma of entrepreneurs especially in our field. Of course I am not an exception here. I run an IT...

asked May 5 '11 at 17:01
Blank
Abhi
31 points

12 Votes
5 Answers
8.73K Views
What is the secret of Dropbox's success?

Why is Dropbox so much more successful than many other sites that offer/offered essentially the same service?

asked Mar 11 '11 at 23:05
Blank
Zippy
871 points