Domain Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
4.51K Views
Which is a better suffix for enterprise-product company domain?

As per @Zuly Gonzalez' answer to this question on "Non .com domain v hyphen domain ", when choosing a domain name sometimes it is necessary to add a common suffix to the name. Eg. mydomainAPP.com....

asked Nov 23 '10 at 11:35
Blank
Avi D
140 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.49K Views
How does one create a company name that is internationally accepted?

I'm working on an international startup, website based, for which I need to create a name (with corresponding domains for all extensions) that is internationally accepted as my service is meant to...

asked Oct 31 '10 at 20:56
Blank
Tom
116 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
4.28K Views
Should I use country-specific domain names or just .com?

I'm planning to launch a SaaS site soon in Norway and own the domain name under the Norwegian TLD (.no). If this is successful, I plan to translate the site and launch internationally. The .com...

asked Nov 1 '10 at 08:14
Blank
Owen Fraser Green
128 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.95K Views
Domain name for application? domainnameapp.com or getdomainname.com

I have a website Smart Company Software. I have two desktop software applications in development and I want to have a website for each one. The Smart Company Software website will be for all of my...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 02:08
Blank
Smart Company Software
22 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
2.46K Views
Alternatives to GoDaddy?

What do people think of GoDaddy? Are they a good default registrar for little guys? I'm just trying to register a few names for now. If not, who else would you recommend? Many thanks, JDelage

asked Oct 9 '10 at 04:47
Blank
J Delage
277 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.73K Views
Online affiliate store service with own domain name?

I am looking for an online affiliate store service in the like of Amazon astore, but which lets me use my own domain name. Does anyone know of such service?

asked Oct 10 '10 at 23:01
Blank
Tucson
714 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
hyphen in URL : sporttribe.com or sport-tribe.com?

I own both domain name sport-tribe.com and sporttribe.com Today we are using sport-tribe.com because we didn't own sporttribe.com at the time we started the site. I'm wondering if we should...

asked Oct 11 '10 at 21:39
Blank
Fabrice
23 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.45K Views
Advice on buying a domain that's already registered?

I am interested in purchasing a good domain name that is currently being offered at $7K. Can anyone provide me any guidance on how to negotiate these deals and things to consider, lookout for, in...

asked Oct 14 '10 at 02:31
Blank
Gesco
71 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
Trademarks on company name - would "BodyLife" and "BodyForLife" collide?

I'm trying to understand how similarities in trademarks are dealt with. To take an example (that I used in a previous unrelated question), assuming a trademark existed for "BodyLife", a company...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 20:47
Blank
J Delage
277 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
4.37K Views
Non .Com Domains - Does it Really Affect Branding?

I was always under the impression that the domain extension didn't matter (as long as it was .com, .net, or .org). I have always tried to market the extension in my brand if it wasn't .com, and I...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 02:15
Blank
Martin
1,340 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.27K Views
Using the name wiki in my domain name ? Legal ? Copyright problems?

I would like to use the word wiki in my domain name, such as fastbikiwiki.com Is this legal or because of wikipedia, it would be a copyright issue using wiki in my domain name ?

asked Sep 30 '10 at 00:06
Blank
Mrjohn
113 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.1K Views
Most probable ".com" replacement for startups in the near future?

The most desirable generic top-level domain ".com" seems becoming less and less affordable for startups which cannot receive sufficient funding at early stages. The price of a decent ".com" name is...

asked Sep 30 '10 at 01:50
Blank
Rem
352 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
3.64K Views
Does domain registration length have any effect on SEO?

I was recently playing around with the Website Grader at websitegrader.com and read this: Google and other search engines may penalize websites with domains that are set to expire soon. The reason...

asked Oct 7 '10 at 03:26
Blank
Ryan B
168 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.54K Views
Picking a domain for new company

There are so many domain names taken, but the sites there are like haunted houses. Is there a way of repossessing them? Like offer to begin an auction? Best,

asked Oct 8 '10 at 03:29
Blank
Vass
128 points

4 Votes
10 Answers
3.66K Views
Domain name with "4" instead of "for"?

Is it better to get a domain name with "4" as a shortcut for "for", or the real thing? E.g., "body4life.com", or "bodyforlife.com"? Assuming both .com are available...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 01:14
Blank
J Delage
277 points

2 Votes
8 Answers
5.44K Views
Domain name starting with "get"

What do you think of domains that have the word "get" before the actual product name, just like getclicky.com or the domains used by 37 Signals products (basecamphq.com, campfirenow.com)? Does it...

asked Sep 7 '10 at 21:00
Blank
Pedro Carvalho
11 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
3.03K Views
Ways to sell domain names without using a domain auctioneer?

I am aware of Sedo, Godaddy Autions and Afternic. I don't like their added fees and commission rates. Sedo wants Appraisals for domain names selling for more than $10,000. I am not sure why....

asked Sep 16 '10 at 07:20
Blank
Tony Henrich
85 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
3.72K Views
Is a great name usable if someone has the domain name parked?

I am writing a mobile application and I have a great name for it. The problem is, someone has parked the .com domain name for it and won't take less than $5,000. They have owned the domain name for...

asked Sep 21 '10 at 08:02
Blank
Cowgod
136 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.71K Views
Free human based domain name appraisers?

I have a few domain names I want to sell but have no idea how much I can get from each. I am too cheap to pay $30 to Sedo or AfterNic for their appraisal service. I also don't want to use the...

asked Jul 17 '10 at 09:40
Blank
Tony Henrich
85 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.38K Views
Should I get a .co or .com?

I'm currently deciding if I should get a domain name of my 1st choice but with a .co (instead of a .com) or if I should get a less preferred domain name with a .com (because my 1st choice of .com...

asked Jul 29 '10 at 19:36
Blank
Elisha
64 points