Infrastructure Questions

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.38K Views
What is a good IMAP email program for business use?

I'm looking for business-class IMAP email programs to replace the traditional Outlook/POP configuration. Key features needed: the ability to access your email from any device without sacrificing...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 13:18
Blank
Julie King
871 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Cheap tollfree (1-800) service with voicemail only? (USA)

I'm looking for a service that gives me a 1-800/1-877/1-888/etc. number and voicemail for it. That's it - don't want it to ring through, follow me, etc. Just take a voicemail if someone calls and...

asked Apr 21 '12 at 06:01
Blank
Raindog308
11 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.77K Views
Is outsourced infrastructure bad for investors?

I did work for more than 6 startups. I never saw it. But I heard from a friend that is working for a network appliance startup, that his CEO, wants to keep the whole infrastructure in-house,...

asked Jul 13 '11 at 20:32
Blank
Vp.
151 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
What are the options for remote desktop support?

I am working with a client in the United States that as part of a comprehensive strategy to spin several divisions off as new start-ups is looking to outsource the IT department to a "remote...

asked Jul 1 '11 at 06:03
Blank
Joseph Barisonzi
12,141 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.51K Views
What are you doing about the Amazon EC2 issues?

Amazon has been having a lot of issues on EC2 through this weekend and I am sure many other startups got burned by them. What are you guys doing about it? Do you consider Amazon equally reliable...

asked Apr 25 '11 at 22:52
Blank
Jorge Guzman
45 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
How to implement "infrastructure" ideas?

I have several ideas that I label "infrastructure ideas" (both physical and virtual). This means that the ideas will create completely new infrastructure (I use a very broad definition of the term)...

asked Jun 14 '10 at 05:41
Blank
David
1,567 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.06K Views
Are Google Apps (hosted gmail/groups) enough for early stage customer service?

We're currently building a small e-commerce product that involves recurrenct billing (think of domain registration). As the 'tech guy' I don't want to set up a full blown ticketing system at this...

asked May 9 '10 at 00:37
Blank
Roland
33 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
Building a consumer consumer-friendly, pro-focused database: Which language?

I want to build a consumer-friendly, pro-focused database with a layered interface (free vs. subscription) not unlike IMDb/IMDbPro. However, I am not a developer and have no idea if it's better to...

asked Feb 4 '10 at 02:42
Blank
Aae
75 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.46K Views
Write custom code or adapt an application?

I'm working on a venture that combines straight forward forum functionality with Facebook like real time community discussions. The Facebook-a-like part uses news items to drive entries and...

asked Dec 10 '09 at 07:04
Blank
Puk
81 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.54K Views
My startup built on ASP.NET/SQL Server 2008 stack. What are my hosting options? Costs?

I'm in the final stages of development on my startup. The site is built in ASP.NET using SQL Server 2008. It is a consumer-focused website that I intend to concept-test next month and gather...

asked Nov 8 '09 at 07:42
Blank
Joe A
1,196 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
2.72K Views
MySql scalability

Can anyone point me to any data that shows validates the scalability promises of the MySql database ? Specifically I am looking for real life examples of applications running MySql server and...

asked Oct 25 '09 at 15:18
Blank
Kabir
96 points

22 Votes
24 Answers
5.76K Views
What's more important: releasing early or getting it right?

From your point of view and experience, what is more important when you are building a web based app: release ASAP (eventhough it might not follow best practices) or release it rather late as...

asked Oct 20 '09 at 17:26
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

4 Votes
8 Answers
3.12K Views
How much do you trust cloud services / outside hosts with proprietary info?

I've long been of the opinion that the core assets of a software company (e.g. source code and any system that touches it, continuous integration environments, internal wikis containing...

asked Oct 23 '09 at 13:57
Blank
Cemerick
123 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.71K Views
Estimating infrastructure costs

I'm working in the infant stages of a SaaS platform and we're working on estimating cost. Right now our hosting and bandwidth expenditures are relatively low as we have only one customer, but we...

asked Oct 12 '09 at 13:27
Blank
Andrew
21 points