PR Questions

75 Votes
10 Answers
20.3K Views
I build good products, but can't get anyone to use them. What should I do?

I am a web developer. In the last year and a half, I've been working on several ideas, one after the other. I found that as much as I enjoy developing them, in the end, I keep bumping my head...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 17:06
Blank
Vondip
584 points

11 Votes
5 Answers
23.8K Views
How to get PR / publicity for your startup?

For someone who is not in a popular incubator like YC or 500Startups, how could you get journalists or blogs to write an article about you? It seems for those startups it's very easy as the...

asked Jan 31 '14 at 18:46
Blank
Tim
670 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
3.13K Views
Is advanced SEO snake oil?

I keep reading about how search engines like google keep changing and optimizing their algorithms so I wonder how effective SEO is beyond the basics of having the right keywords, robots.txt, etc...

asked Feb 9 '13 at 04:47
Blank
Zugwalt
135 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
84.2K Views
How should I approach the media and influencers about my small business software?

I recently spoke to the Director of Sales of a new, successful CRM software. He said a key part of their marketing is PR and getting the media to talk about them. We're building a software for...

asked Jan 1 '13 at 05:50
Blank
Sguptaet
242 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.19K Views
Snail Mail Press Release

We just released a Press Release that was a flop. I've been trying to figure out what that is, especially compared to the Press Release I sent out 10 years ago for a physical product I invented; I...

asked Aug 8 '11 at 00:23
Blank
Slandau
203 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.29K Views
Anyone recommend a startup-friendly PR firm?

I'm looking for a a recommendation for a startup-friendly PR firm. Anyone have a firm they'd recommend? I see this question but there aren't any recent answers to the question. Anyone have any new...

asked Jun 10 '11 at 07:21
Blank
Joseph Fung
1,542 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.78K Views
Most effective ways to pitch startup publications? And whom to pitch?

I am curious if anyone has had luck pitching their startups to publications like TechCrunch or ReadWriteWeb. Also, what is an effective pitch structure/template/approach?

PR
asked May 19 '11 at 02:01
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.22K Views
How to get attention to an early-stage product or site?

I have an early-stage site that I think is pretty good. I won't put the link here because I don't want to seem like spam. But the link is in my bio. While I have been able to get some attention to...

asked Mar 27 '11 at 08:26
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
4.73K Views
How much traffic can you expect to get from TechCrunch?

Has anyone ever had a start-up which was covered by TC? If so, how much traffic does it send your way? Have people seen a significant SEO boost from their links to their site? Is their coverage...

asked Mar 27 '11 at 16:15
Blank
Genadinik
1,821 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.68K Views
Tips for talking to online media?

I've landed a few interviews for our startup that is about to go live at the end of the month. Would really love some tips on how to talk to the media folks (editors of the news technical sites)...

asked Jan 13 '11 at 03:42
Blank
Igorek
886 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.09K Views
PR questions for Trent Freeman, president of PRTechConnect

Pat and I are interviewing Trent Freeman, president of PRTechConnect, a new PR firm specializing in startups, with startup-level pricing on April 12th for the Startup Success Podcast. What...

asked Apr 3 '10 at 03:43
Blank
Bob Walsh
2,620 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
4.23K Views
At what point does one hire a PR agency?

I've long held the opinion that a PR firm is one of the sound, early stage, marketing investments a company can make but that such a firm has to excel at traditional PR as well as managing speaking...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 10:50
Blank
Paul O'brien
521 points