Competition Questions

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Should I apply for a job with a future competitor to get some inside knowledge?

I’m a web developer/designer and had a business idea for a website about 10 years ago which, for various personal reasons have only started to take the time to start building over the last few...

asked Mar 5 '12 at 15:10
Blank
Lloyd
360 points

-5 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
What incentives could I offer to keep customers?

I'd like to start a business in the service industry (not a restaurant) with a very low barrier to entry (as such I can't give specifics). Aside from making the best product/service that I can,...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 15:23
Blank
Gili
178 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.74K Views
Create identical product and sell for half price?

I would like to compete in the software market and I thought that if I just present a product that provides the same functionality and is as good as its competitors and sell if for half the price...

asked Feb 1 '12 at 16:08
Blank
Cj7
124 points

11 Votes
4 Answers
2.78K Views
Running an aggressive promotion against a competing product

We want to run a promotion on our website. In the promotion, if someone can provide us proof of purchase of a competitor's software license, we will give them a free software license of our...

asked Dec 2 '11 at 04:01
Blank
James
58 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Taking the next step: Analysis of competition turns up demoralizing results, proceed on?

First of all thank you to everybody for my previous questions on this site, you inspire me to think about problems differently. My father and I had a great idea for a web based startup, we have...

asked Nov 15 '11 at 23:40
Blank
Maple Shaft
323 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
How to determine competitor's pricing model when impersonating a customer is challenging

This question accompanies my recent previous question, Are there any methods you can think of to determine a comptetitors pricing model under these stipulations: The pricing sheet is not publicly...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 01:58
Blank
Maple Shaft
323 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
How to approach new competitor to my copyrighted product?

I have an LLC and developed a copyrighted program that I sell online. I frequently enter in various terms online and see how I'm doing in the search results vs. my competitors. All of a sudden, I...

asked Nov 6 '11 at 07:56
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
How to sell start-up to a competitor?

I have a startup that has developed a few software products. I'm finally having a decent amount of success in getting people to use the products, but I am tired of putting money into this and would...

asked Oct 31 '11 at 03:36
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
Should I make my service free?

For the past year I have been developing a VERY niche based review/community site, in the healthcare field. I did as much h/w as possible in searching for competitors, and there were zero direct...

asked Nov 2 '11 at 14:09
Blank
Jdh
182 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Are There Any Internet-based Regular Startup Hackathons?

Like most of you, I have some good start-up ideas I feel are both good and easily realizable. Of course, I have plenty of 'real' work to do for more mature projects, so I have difficulty convincing...

asked Nov 3 '11 at 16:59
Blank
Hss
157 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
How to Approach Potential Customers Without Tipping off the Competition

We are working on a service that endeavors essentially to provide an advertising forum for a certain class of goods and services whose providers we consider our key customers. There are others...

asked Oct 20 '11 at 08:31
Blank
D Moore
174 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
Is there any reason to scrap a start-up, when you find out there is more competition then originally thought?

When initially researching the competition during the early stages of the product development, there did not appear to be very much competition, other then two larger contenders. However, as this...

asked Oct 6 '11 at 01:47
Blank
Rob R
58 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.01K Views
When/How Often Do Startups Join Together?

I asked this on my blog, but then realized this would be a good forum for discussions so am asking here as well: How Often Do Startups Join Together? In talking to and mentoring dozens of startups...

asked Oct 6 '11 at 08:57
Blank
Tig
204 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.44K Views
Similiar startup appeared before mine

Possible Duplicate: Finding out another start-up has the same idea Is there any reason to scrap a start-up, when you find out there is more competition then originally thought? My partners and I...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 05:58
Blank
Guy
16 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
Should I use my competitor's videos on my website before scaling?

a bit of background before my question: I've built a video sharing website that is specific to extreme sports, where users currently embed videos from third-party websites like Vimeo or Youtube....

asked Sep 26 '11 at 10:11
Blank
Nick Budden
129 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
2.76K Views
But can't that big competitor with lots of money do what you're doing?

I have a startup idea that improves upon an existing idea in a uniquel and differentiated way. Let's call my idea "David". However, there exists a very large, well-known competitor,...

asked Sep 19 '11 at 23:46
Blank
Li Zhou
323 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
9.77K Views
Should I let a potential vendor know which of his competitors I'm also considering?

So this is a "how much information should I reveal when making a deal" type of question. Obviously when one requires a service, one shops around to all of the different vendors that offer that...

asked Sep 20 '11 at 06:19
Blank
N Reilingh
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
How to find information about competitors?

I am interested in finding information about a competitor and I am curious if anyone knows of any good resources for this type of thing. Information I'd like to know: How much money they made...

asked Sep 12 '11 at 05:05
Blank
Abe Miessler
264 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Should I let my (large, established) competitors snoop around our service?

we built an idea management system at the Taipei Startup Weekend (a few days ago) and were delighted to finish second. This morning we've found that a competitor, one who's clients include FedEx,...

asked Aug 18 '11 at 11:00
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
Concerns About Safety of Competitor's Product, Say Something or Not?

I've been working up to a full launch and found a competitor emerging. I'm making the liquid used in electronic cigarettes, which contains nicotine along with flavoring and components thought to be...

asked Aug 26 '11 at 05:54
Blank
Praxeologist
43 points