Backlinks Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
Google SEO: does a certain ratio of "nofollow" links actually improve your SEO?

If your back link profile has mostly all do-follow links, does that appear unnatural to Google?Does having a certain minimum ratio of no-follow links improve your Google rankings?

asked Jun 9 '14 at 14:43
Blank
Eleanor Tobias
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
Can you do negative SEO on your competitors to gain the #1 spot?

For my target keyword I am ranking as #1. Lately I've started seeing strange backlinks (lots of them) in Google Webmaster Tools.I suspect one of my competitors is doing it to potentially screw up...

asked Jun 19 '14 at 01:42
Blank
Kevin Kinder
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
How to nudge journalists to link to your site when they mention it in their articles?

Would it be inappropriate to directly ask journalists to link any mention of your site in their articles?There are occasions where I've spoken to writers and provided feedback as a source, and the...

asked Jul 7 '14 at 18:52
Blank
Nishank Khanna
4,253 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Is it possible to rank high in Google without many backlinks but only great quality content?

How large of a factor do backlinks play in SEO rankings in Google?Is it possible to rank high for moderately competitive terms with little or no backlinks?If I put out great high quality content,...

asked Jul 11 '14 at 14:25
Blank
Roland Henderson
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Re-using branding and name of a perviously defunct startup?

I have done a few startups that didn't make it and had to be shut down. Is it viable to reuse any of their names and branding for new ventures?Some of those domains names might have incoming links....

asked Aug 25 '14 at 22:27
Blank
Pat Butler
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to deal with negative SEO efforts from competitors?

Lately I have had someone constantly post thousands of spam blog comments which have links that point to my site. It is a huge amount of work trying to keep up with disavowing these links in Google...

asked Sep 9 '14 at 15:14
Blank
Patrick Gonzalez
14 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.04K Views
Does a plain text link on a page (without the html href) count as a backlink in Google's algorithm?

If a site just mentions my url in their article as plain text without the html <a> tag, would it get counted as a backlink?Will it be worth less than a normal HTML link if it does get counted?

asked Jun 2 '15 at 01:10
Blank
Desmond Foster
19 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.32K Views
Google says distributing widgets that your users can use on their websites is black hat SEO. How to do it in a white hat way?

Matt Cutts, the head of web spam at Google, made a statement that site owners should nofollow any link on widgets they distribute. So apparently this common practice has also now become gray/black...

asked May 27 '14 at 16:26
Blank
Julia Levine
12 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Lower cost alternative for Ahrefs that has the same quality?

Is there an equally good service as Ahrefs.com but for a lower cost? While their service is great (much better than OpenSiteExplorer), even their lowest plan is too steep for just seeing...

asked Apr 14 '14 at 20:56
Blank
Ida Larrison
6 points