Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

5 Votes
2 Answers
5.48K Views
How can a departing co-founder be compensated for giving back already vested shares?

I'm leaving a startup I co-founded, with some of my shares already vested. The other shareholders want me to give back more shares than specified by our vesting agreement. It does seem to make...

asked Jun 17 '13 at 22:37
Blank
Dan
26 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Partner leaving, tough situation

Recently I found myself in situation, where I can't decide what the most appropriate act would be. 15 Months ago me and 2 other friends started to work on new cloud software solution. We each...

asked Jun 18 '13 at 09:21
Blank
Tic Tac
13 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.58K Views
Getting a partner onboard

I was approached by a freelancer i have worked before with to work together as a company. I would be interested in partnering with him. But need some advice on how to get into this partnership. My...

asked Jun 19 '13 at 16:04
Blank
Anshul
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Equity split for odd relationship

I am developing a SaaS platform by bootstrapping with sweat equity while covering the bills with a full time job. I am probably 2-3 months away from launching a viable public beta, and to this...

asked Jun 28 '13 at 09:39
Blank
Shaun
8 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
How to split equity with a person you don't know well

I have a hobby/side project which I am quite serious about. I have been working on it for about ½ year, but have figured out I needed more people on board for it to become a success. I have found a...

asked Jun 28 '13 at 19:37
Blank
Dofs
73 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.02K Views
pre money startup equity for founding partner who now will become a silent partner

my business partner and i recently decided to terminate our partnership. primarily my decision, but he reluctantly has agreed. we have one concept (a web consumer service/app) that we spent 6...

asked Jul 3 '13 at 23:53
Blank
User732013
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.72K Views
How to remain control of your company while issuing equity to cofounders and investors?

I have two other cofounders for my startup and I'm trying to figure out the equity split situation. My question revolves more around if I give out too much equity, how can I remain in control as...

asked Jul 5 '13 at 11:03
Blank
User26898
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.68K Views
How much equity do I give

We are currently three partners in a tech start-up. I'm the founder and hold 85% of the stake. One of my partners is building the analytical engine which is kind of the backbone of our business and...

asked May 15 '13 at 12:01
Blank
Tech Entrepreneur
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Equity/Profit share split for small projects with unknown levels of contribution

Alright, I have a pretty clear understanding of how to split equity for real startups, but how to do it for a smaller project (an app), with little acquisition potential (just profits), and a team...

asked May 23 '13 at 09:58
Blank
Sean Clark Hess
113 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
How to distribute voting power among 3 co founders when there is couple in it?

So here is a situation, we are facing. We are three co founders - Saun, Sam and Joel. Saun has been discussing about starting up with Sam and Joel who both happen to be his college mates. All the...

asked Jun 1 '13 at 17:25
Blank
Saun
21 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.03K Views
joining a startup, question about equity

(also posted on The Workplace ) A friend of mine (no tech bg, but lots of business xp) is planning to found a startup and has invited me to be the CTO. I have some background working in IT and in...

asked Jun 2 '13 at 06:14
Blank
User26496
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.52K Views
How do I add a new business partner?

We are a tech consulting company and our current group consists of four equity partners. We are interested in adding a new "business" partner, as our current partners are all technical, but we know...

asked Apr 27 '13 at 06:31
Blank
Bd2x
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.97K Views
Left my startup pre-launch. What percent equity is fair?

6 months ago I quit my job to start a startup with two other people. I'm the business guy. I worked full-time on the project from day No. 1, and made substantial contributions to branding, customer...

asked Apr 30 '13 at 08:23
Blank
Ileftearly
21 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.33K Views
Non-dilutable options

I have an entity I've been working on for roughly 4 years, the last being a real push to get it out the door. A student recently joined me and got us into a student business plan competition and we...

asked May 2 '13 at 22:47
Blank
User26081
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.75K Views
Investing in startups online

I've seen plenty of websites that utilize philanthropic crowd-funding, but I'm unable to find any websites that allow people to purchase equity online. Are there any? If not, for what...

asked May 4 '13 at 11:07
Blank
Steve
3 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Does equity stake truly affect voting position?

In this question, the original poster has a hidden question in: Giving up an equity stake puts me at a disadvantage from a voting perspective (or does it?) Can you structure it as a non-voting...

asked May 7 '13 at 17:05
Blank
Nick O
108 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.48K Views
Fundraising seed capital with just a business plan and no product

We have a great idea for a product in a niche market ripe for a paradigm shift on the way business is done. All we have is a kick-ass business plan with detailed projections, costs, marketing, etc...

asked May 11 '13 at 05:10
Blank
Tim
21 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
What is a good cash/equity mix for a 1099 programmer and/or designer for 4 to 6 month term?

We have been coding now for about 6 months on our startup. Up until now, we have bootstrapped the entire project on pennies, being cash poor. Fortunately we were able to raise a small friends and...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 05:44
Blank
Derek
164 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
If all the employees are non-salaried founders, do we need to send out W2's?

We founded a C-Corp in fall 2012. None of us are taking a salary and there are no salaried employees. Do we need to send out W2's?

asked Apr 13 '13 at 23:30
Blank
Evan Hammer
16 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.69K Views
Niche financial markets software product : How much equity in return for £100k?

Over the last two years or so I've been developing a software product in my spare time(I'm still currently consulting at an investment bank). It's fairly niche in that it's targeted only at banks...

asked Apr 17 '13 at 09:08
Blank
John
21 points