Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.79K Views
What to do with equity if co-founder / early employee quits?

I founded a company on my own a couple of years back. Got a couple of small clients on board and started making money (not a lot!). Worked for 1 year on it alone and decided to get an excellent...

asked Mar 19 '13 at 10:46
Blank
Robert Smith
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Equity split 50/50 and past contributions

I've checked other questions but none cover the topic of past contributions. I'm wondering how much weight does time spent before incorporating matter. Do Founder A earlier contributions have...

asked Feb 23 '13 at 00:12
Blank
Jean Pierre
48 points

-3 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
How much equity is normal for a programming VC to take for developing a mobile app?

I'm in the process of developing a mobile app for a niche industry B to C. We have an established brand in 17 countries (hard goods)and significant credibility in our industry. It's not, but as an...

asked Feb 25 '13 at 23:17
Blank
Anonymous
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.47K Views
How to negotiate for equity when joining a startup as one of the first employees?

I am looking to work at an early stage startup, and I am currently negotiating with founders of several such startups. All of these startups have just raised their first funding, and for each of...

asked Feb 26 '13 at 06:23
Blank
Joe
108 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Percentage allocation for my startup reasonable?

I've developed a new product that I am going to be selling and putting on the market. I had been planning on funding everything with my own personal savings. I have a friend (Mike) who believes in...

asked Feb 26 '13 at 16:01
Blank
John
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.02K Views
Fair equity/cash for one year's contribution?

So I asked a broader question on this situation before, but am now trying to narrow it down to the core issue after negotiations failed yet again with my co-founders. I am a tech guy who joined a...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 04:37
Blank
User25060
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
What's an appropriate approach to finding a Digital Marketing "shepherd"

I'm the CTO of a SAAS startup oriented towards non-technical internet users in the 40-65 age demographic and we're preparing for our initial launch. Naturally, much of our conversation has shifted...

asked Mar 3 '13 at 07:29
Blank
Grant H.
68 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
Anti-dilution 'downside' protection clause - are these ok?

For a start up is there a down side for a smaller owner to have an anti-dilution clause protecting the individuals downside (eg 'not to fall below 10%', for ex). If they're ok, what's the highest %...

asked Mar 3 '13 at 21:27
Blank
User25286
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.9K Views
How much Equity should I get?

Well some think its a duplicate to another question but i think its different cuz all four of us in the team are not the coders, developers or programmers & also my question is different cuz...

asked Feb 12 '13 at 04:03
Blank
Lovable Chris K
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
How much equity should these founders have?

Me and my 3 partners are in the early stages of a gaming start up company. We are now looking to split the initial equity in the company because we are not all on equal terms. Person#1 is an...

asked Feb 13 '13 at 13:30
Blank
David Menard
101 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.88K Views
How to fire my Partner

I started a company in August of 2012 signing up 25 customers as a separate part of a corporation I have had since 2010 and brought in a partner in September. The partner did not put in any money...

asked Feb 14 '13 at 04:17
Blank
User24008
19 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.92K Views
Share ownership in software spinoff

I have been employed at a research consulting company for several years. During the course of running research projects, I have developed software that I use internally to run some of my projects....

asked Feb 16 '13 at 06:47
Blank
Randigoo
61 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.16K Views
How much equity for co-founder reducing role for academic program?

I'm a technical co-founder in a pre-funding company in a niche tech segment, working with two non-technical co-founders who have largely overlapping skill sets. I met them at a networking event and...

asked Feb 17 '13 at 15:07
Blank
User25060
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.44K Views
Recommended Business Structure for Group of Part Time App Builders

A few friends and I have started building small apps and WordPress plugins in our spare time, and I'm wondering what would be the best business structure (LLC, S-Corp, etc) as I think it's almost...

asked Feb 20 '13 at 06:14
Blank
Jeremiah Prummer
441 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Splitting equity between founders

X was working part-time on an idea and after about a year and a basic demo in hand, he talked to two potential people (A and B) who would become co-founders but would work part-time just like X....

asked Jan 29 '13 at 19:53
Blank
Vibgy
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.64K Views
What percentage to give UI/UX designer co-founder?

This is a general question for company shares: My partner and I have an equal stake in our company. We want to bring in a designer since both of us suck at UI. We have one in mind. Since we own...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 08:53
Blank
Joe
1 point

6 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Review offer for being employee #1

I've just been offered a developer job at a startup in the current situation. - Pre-Series A. - Current seed funding gives them a valuation of $5 mil. - 4 founders, no employees, 1 founder is a...

asked Jan 31 '13 at 14:36
Blank
User23797
31 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.55K Views
How much equity should I give our first investor/legal advisor?

I'm currently starting up a mobile social networking application with zero funding. The app is currently in the mvp stage with a very thorough business plan, and my business partner and I are...

asked Feb 1 '13 at 04:29
Blank
User23813
13 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Ownership without investment. Help

I started work at a company a few months back. I was brought in to head up a new division in the company. That division is separating as it's own LLC. I won't be investing any money into the new...

asked Feb 2 '13 at 02:43
Blank
Jane
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.03K Views
Thoughts on offering Software development in return for Equity for a tech startup

I have been developing some software for an online venture in return for significant equity. I am working with another founder who is developing the business. The current thinking is to value our...

asked Feb 6 '13 at 07:51
Blank
Sam Jolly
116 points