Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.93K Views
Asked to be CEO -- what should I ask for?

I have been appoached by a private equity firm that has an idea -- a good one -- and $5M. They've asked me to be CEO and make it happen. They requested I make the opening bid for compensation and...

asked Feb 8 '13 at 13:44
Blank
User23925
21 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.54K Views
Are employee options now a joke?

Having been involved in startups that failed, startups that turned into profitable but un-traded companies and startups that straight-out conned employees out of their share - I tend to regard them...

asked Jan 14 '13 at 10:37
Blank
Mgb
101 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
Equity split for non day-to-day founder

I wish that my equity situation for my new company were easy; unfortunately it's not - so I'd love feedback and thoughts. I met with a well connected business person (we'll call him Karl), and he...

asked Jan 14 '13 at 11:32
Blank
User22529
6 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.73K Views
I am the only paid developer in a startup, am I getting enough equity?

I am currently apart of a very small startup. I love the idea and believe that it could be very big one day. I was hired by a guy with the idea, but the idea was still very basic, and 1...

asked Jan 16 '13 at 09:36
Blank
User23559
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
developer (almost co-founder?) getting 5% share

I'm in a same situtation, maybe worse as this guy: Developer, offered share in small startup company in return for large rate reduction - advice needed Two friends had an idea, they were kinda...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 00:02
Blank
User78635
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.54K Views
Do I have to sell my shares to my cofounder?

Our company ran low on funds about 4 months ago. We decided it would be best If I took on an advisory role and went to work elsewhere to cover my personal expenses. I have vested shares in a large...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 15:30
Blank
User23581
16 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.58K Views
How to protect myself from uncommitted co-founders

Two of us came together to work on an idea for a web startup. We end up killing the initial product and a third person joined. A new product is built and launched. It happens that I'm the...

asked Jan 19 '13 at 12:53
Blank
Nyxynyx
193 points

2 Votes
0 Answers
2.98K Views
how to proceed with negotiations with contractor/early employee

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? I am one of three cofounders at an early stage startup. We have been working with an outsourced developer...

asked Jan 21 '13 at 09:55
Blank
B B
11 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.81K Views
Advice on startup offer I have received

I have received a offer from a local start-up and was presented an offer. I spent the last few days reading on this board looking for insight into the start-up financing world. The team is three...

asked Jan 27 '13 at 05:53
Blank
Jk Hancock
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Do I need to pay tax on shares earned?

I am working on a project in my spare time with a friend. The project has the potential to make money in the future. We want to run the project democratically and non-hierarchically. We have...

asked Jan 28 '13 at 20:59
Blank
Erik Straughn
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.39K Views
Profitable existing business with Single owner - offering me Partnership & Equity to help it grow - My negotiation should be?

The owner has an online business which brings in a high $xx,xxx in profits (nearing 6 figures) with minimal costs (hosting, etc). Owner is looking to start fresh with an LLC setup and a partnership...

asked Jan 3 '13 at 17:49
Blank
Elliott
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
Non compete agreement for a founder in a startup

Our startup currently has 5 founders, we're still in the process of seeking seed funding but we have all been working for sweat equity for the past 12 months, some founders have worked longer for...

asked Jan 4 '13 at 08:29
Blank
Tom Paris
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
Designer Pay and Equity

We have a physical product, with proprietary IP. My partner and I own 98.25% combined. We issued 1.75% ownership to a designer who wanted equity versus working "freelance". The designer owns his...

asked Jan 4 '13 at 10:47
Blank
User22379
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
Startup equity for co-founder

I've been working at a pre-launch startup for the past year (going to launch in the next several weeks). I'm supposed to sign my Stock Purchase Agreement soon, but wanted to run this by to see if I...

asked Jan 10 '13 at 07:03
Blank
Rabid Zombie
113 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
Equity for First paid Tech-employee in a not-profitable financed Startup

I'm trying to be as specific as possible here: We are a Startup 5 months on the go with three co-founders. Since none of us can truly code we need to employ our first Web-developer and we have...

asked Dec 20 '12 at 03:08
Blank
Clemens Kemper
16 points

9 Votes
2 Answers
2.68K Views
Late founder equity allocation

Guy is late coming founder, the company not yet incorporated. I designed the product (several biomed multisensor devices) and taken it from concept to a mature prototype ready for manufacturing (1...

asked Dec 26 '12 at 00:03
Blank
User22242
46 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
SaaS founders incentives: Business and Technology

We are two 50/50 founders of an enterprise SaaS company. both cofounders are tech people with a good grasp of business knowledge. Mainly, one of our cofounders brought most of our clients and...

asked Dec 28 '12 at 07:14
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.48K Views
Technical Co-Founder Contract

There are a couple startups I'm thinking about joining. They are in very early stages (seed round or incubation). I am interested in the position of technical co-founder. They've all asked that we...

asked Dec 4 '12 at 09:57
Blank
Scott Coates
111 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.57K Views
Deciding between equal and unequal equity splits

I have read the multiple threads about equity splits but I am getting mixed answers. Mainly between this thread which pointed me to this The Founders' Pie Calculator which states it is a rookie,...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 09:00
Blank
Console
8 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.08K Views
Restricted Stock Units (RSU) in a job offer

I've seen a few job offers where in addition to the salary the company offers X,000 Restricted Stock Units (RSU). I'm still trying to understand owning equity as one of the early employees for a...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 05:39
Blank
Wwwuser
125 points